X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solar Electricity

This past weekend we had a "YAHOO" representing a contractor from our electric company spend [waste] an hour trying to sell us on solar electric power for our home!

He had no documentation or anything to justify the cost! or show us how it will look or for that matter how it will interconnect or work!
    The first thing he said was "you have really big trees around your home. You will need to remove them so the solar equipment will work!"

The trees act as a heat shield here in Arizona!

He had no idea as to how to size the system, nor the weight!

I told him my roof rafters are "old" 2x4s and will not support anything like that. He said "it does not weigh any more than my air conditioner"

I told him my system is ground mounted.

Anyway he was a total idiot who had no clue about what he was trying to sell except how to calculate his commission! It was sad!
    I did give him a cup of gourmet coffee...then he ruined it with milk and sugar...UGH!!!

I got him good when I asked him
    "how do you calculate the power factor in a residential home system?"
    He finally tossed in the towel and left.

Within a city where you have a reliable power grid the cost of solar electric can exceed $30,000.00 [OK before some tax credits]. It will require a lot of maintenance and after a rain and or hail storm lots of repairs!!! Dirty solar cells do not work well and they really do poorly at night.

I have a friend in CA that has a system on his home...He spent over $40,000.00 and the neighbors are not pleased with all that crap on his roof! He estimates even with his electric charges he will not see any payback in 30 years!!!!

By the way in the 1970's the big deal here was the solar water heater! In 2010 you rarely see one on a house roof!
    Why you ask? As Arizona has lots of sun?
    Well they tend to leak, break, are very high maintenance etc.
    The new neighborhoods also do not like them as they are an awful eye sore.
    Typical systems would go for about $5,000.00

I have a gas water heater I spend about $12.00 a month if that much. A new gas heater that typically lasts ten years and runs around $600.00 ......any questions?

Solar a great idea if you live beyond the power grid ..oh then you will need lots of expensive batteries and inverters etc. in addition to the cost of the panels!

I chose to live in a city where I have access to utilities that are dependable, accessible, and compared to other options reasonably affordable. I pay about $2800.00 a year for electricity. I have a large swimming pool and a stand alone hot tub, plus Ham Radio equipment, and about 3 1/2 tons of air conditioning.

I pay about $152.00 a year for natural gas. I have two gas furnaces, a gas hot water heater and a gas stove.

I have begun to replace some of my incandescent lamps with LED lamps. LED lamps are superior to the compact fluorescent lamp.
    The LED is instant on, purer white, lasts for 30,000hours etc.

I recently replaced my R20 cfl wanna-be 50 watt bulbs with 8w LED R20 lamps. They are by FEIT electric found at Lowe's on sale for about $25.00 and have a 3 year warranty. they are actually draw about 6 watts, replace a 45watt incandescent lamp, gives off no heat, no radio interference, no UV radiation, no flicker,and provide about 340 lumens! OK they can't be dimmed, but there are models out there that can.

The Yahoo salesman had no clue what they were and said cfl lamps are the wave of the future! I told him when one breaks according to the law and instructions you need to call a Haz-mat team! And then disposal is a problem too from mercury! I got a big "DUH!"

Now to be fair I understand some newer cfl lamps are entering the market without mercury but I have no other information.

I say let the power companies put up solar fields but then they will still raise rates not for fuel usage but for loss of revenue from being an energy saver!

We are told conserve your water usage we are in the desert....We obey! Then they raise rates as less water is used thus less revenue is generated.....

No one is going to get out of here for free!

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
      This past weekend we had a "YAHOO" representing a contractor from our electric company spend [waste] an hour trying to sell us on solar electric power for our home!

He had no documentation or anything to justify the cost! or show us how it will look or for that matter how it will interconnect or work!
      The first thing he said was "you have really big trees around your home. You will need to remove them so the solar equipment will work!"

The trees act as a heat shield here in Arizona!

He had no idea as to how to size the system, nor the weight!

I told him my roof rafters are "old" 2x4s and will not support anything like that. He said "it does not weigh any more than my air conditioner"

I told him my system is ground mounted.

Anyway he was a total idiot who had no clue about what he was trying to sell except how to calculate his commission! It was sad!
      I did give him a cup of gourmet coffee...then he ruined it with milk and sugar...UGH!!!

I got him good when I asked him
      "how do you calculate the power factor in a residential home system?"
      He finally tossed in the towel and left.

Within a city where you have a reliable power grid the cost of solar electric can exceed $30,000.00 [OK before some tax credits]. It will require a lot of maintenance and after a rain and or hail storm lots of repairs!!! Dirty solar cells do not work well and they really do poorly at night.

I have a friend in CA that has a system on his home...He spent over $40,000.00 and the neighbors are not pleased with all that crap on his roof! He estimates even with his electric charges he will not see any payback in 30 years!!!!

By the way in the 1970's the big deal here was the solar water heater! In 2010 you rarely see one on a house roof!
      Why you ask? As Arizona has lots of sun?
      Well they tend to leak, break, are very high maintenance etc.
      The new neighborhoods also do not like them as they are an awful eye sore.
      Typical systems would go for about $5,000.00

I have a gas water heater I spend about $12.00 a month if that much. A new gas heater that typically lasts ten years and runs around $600.00 ......any questions?

Solar a great idea if you live beyond the power grid ..oh then you will need lots of expensive batteries and inverters etc. in addition to the cost of the panels!

I chose to live in a city where I have access to utilities that are dependable, accessible, and compared to other options reasonably affordable. I pay about $2800.00 a year for electricity. I have a large swimming pool and a stand alone hot tub, plus Ham Radio equipment, and about 3 1/2 tons of air conditioning.

I pay about $152.00 a year for natural gas. I have two gas furnaces, a gas hot water heater and a gas stove.

I have begun to replace some of my incandescent lamps with LED lamps. LED lamps are superior to the compact fluorescent lamp.
      The LED is instant on, purer white, lasts for 30,000hours etc.

I recently replaced my R20 cfl wanna-be 50 watt bulbs with 8w LED R20 lamps. They are by FEIT electric found at Lowe's on sale for about $25.00 and have a 3 year warranty. they are actually draw about 6 watts, replace a 45watt incandescent lamp, gives off no heat, no radio interference, no UV radiation, no flicker,and provide about 340 lumens! OK they can't be dimmed, but there are models out there that can.

The Yahoo salesman had no clue what they were and said cfl lamps are the wave of the future! I told him when one breaks according to the law and instructions you need to call a Haz-mat team! And then disposal is a problem too from mercury! I got a big "DUH!"

Now to be fair I understand some newer cfl lamps are entering the market without mercury but I have no other information.

I say let the power companies put up solar fields but then they will still raise rates not for fuel usage but for loss of revenue from being an energy saver!

We are told conserve your water usage we are in the desert....We obey! Then they raise rates as less water is used thus less revenue is generated.....

No one is going to get out of here for free!

Cactus Man
      Spot on for Solar. Thanks.

I have CFL's and am satisfied with their light output. The first ones that came out sucked. New ones seem fine to me.

LED is coming. Got a buddy that works for CREE. He says they are bumping strong.

J.C.

Comment

Well I had my 2kw solar system with a 3kw invertor for future upgrading connected and am generating 7kw/day and supplying around 4kw into the grid at 60c/kw now in mid winter with the sun low down and carn`t wait till summer when I will be able to run my air conditioner free of charge.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
          Well I had my 2kw solar system with a 3kw invertor for future upgrading connected and am generating 7kw/day and supplying around 4kw into the grid at 60c/kw now in mid winter with the sun low down and carn`t wait till summer when I will be able to run my air conditioner free of charge.

Tony
          I don't know how it all works, but how does a 2KW system generate over 3 times it's rated output?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            I don't know how it all works, but how does a 2KW system generate over 3 times it's rated output?

Thanks.

J.C.
            Well JC you multiply 2kw by how many hours the sun shines on your solar panels so as it is winter here and as the sun is low in the shy its shinning about three and half to hours a day
            so 2kw muliplied by 4 = 8kw and in mid summer I am hoping to get 6 to 8 hours of sun shine per day on my solar panels and for every Kw I feed into the grid and don`t use I get paid 60cents

Tony

Comment

wish they would do that out here. or power company ladwp, will only credit you the amount you use. they won't pay you anything beyond your use.

my house doesn't pan out with a cement tile roof, i would be better off doing it when i need to re-roof it.

but my shop has a flat roof that gets sun all day. problem is they won't pay me anything more than i use. i only use approx 5kwh per month. that's less than $1.00 a month is power and approx $38.00 in fees

i would be willing to spend the 20,000 to install a big system and sell off the excess, but at a $1.00 a month credit, you do the math.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

The smart meter its like big brother where they can monitor your useage hour by hour where meter readers are a thing of the past where they can individually cut you off without even leaving their office and where the user pays for them but are still owned by you electicity company yes this is the future
                So it reminds you of the ministry of truth well we in Melbourne have the ministery of juctice which reminds me of a communist country and this is the way we are all heading with these bloody meter and it looks like you are too.

Tony
                I fail to see anything wrong with the idea of smart meters. One cannot fault any attempt to improve efficiency or reduce cost. Sure it will cost some meter readers their jobs. Progress generally obsoletes certain jobs. Any type of automation or mechanization in industry has obsoleted certain jobs. In the end, it all works out as a net benefit. If you resist progress, you get passed by those that embrace it.

The implementation is something else. Here is No. CA there have been a fair amount of complaints about smart meters, with people claiming overcharges. Recently, after months of denials, our poco (PG&E) admitted that there was a flaw in the meter that did in fact cause overcharges. But then again, I happen to believe that PG&E is a horrible company that has abused their monopoly for years.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  wish they would do that out here. or power company ladwp, will only credit you the amount you use. they won't pay you anything beyond your use.

my house doesn't pan out with a cement tile roof, i would be better off doing it when i need to re-roof it.

but my shop has a flat roof that gets sun all day. problem is they won't pay me anything more than i use. i only use approx 5kwh per month. that's less than $1.00 a month is power and approx $38.00 in fees

i would be willing to spend the 20,000 to install a big system and sell off the excess, but at a $1.00 a month credit, you do the math.

rick.
                  I just reading that Larry Hagman ( JR Ewing of the that sop opera Dallas) who is in Aus right now was paying $40,000.00 in electricity but now generates $50,000.00 with his solar panels and making a $10,000.00 profit per year ??

Tony

Comment

I just reading that Larry Hagman ( JR Ewing of the that sop opera Dallas) who is in Aus right now was paying $40,000.00 in electricity but now generates $50,000.00 with his solar panels and making a $10,000.00 profit per year ??

Tony
                    How much money did he spend on the solar panels to be able to generate 50,000.00 worth of power a year?

Comment

They installed a smart meter on my house last week. I am one of the first homes in Maine to have one.

Here's a rule of thumb for "green" technology. If the government has to subsidise it, then it will never pay for itself.
                      sigpic

Comment

Tony
                        $40,000.00!

How much weed is Larry Hagman growing?

J.C.

Comment

Well JC you multiply 2kw by how many hours the sun shines on your solar panels so as it is winter here and as the sun is low in the shy its shinning about three and half to hours a day
                          so 2kw muliplied by 4 = 8kw and in mid summer I am hoping to get 6 to 8 hours of sun shine per day on my solar panels and for every Kw I feed into the grid and don`t use I get paid 60cents

Tony
                          Thanks. Didn't know your systems rating is 2KW/Hr production.

System like this? Anyone feel like doing the math including estimated installation/maintenance and incentives at the bottom of this page?

POWER-SAVE - Power-Save Grid-Tied Solar 2000 SYSTEM 2KW (SOLAR-2kw) - SOLAR-2kw

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            $40,000.00!

How much weed is Larry Hagman growing?

J.C.
                            I carn`t understand it either he must be running a business ? but he says he is advertising for a Germany solar panel company so how many panels did he get free of charge but I was happy with the subsidy I got from government to install solar all up it was about $6000.00 for a 2KW system

Tony

Comment

Working...
                            X