X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Electricity

Who's got solar electricity at their home and is it worth spending the money.

Tony

Re: Solar Electricity

When you include all of the State, Federal, and utility incentives.....

No.

J.C.

Comment

There are so many factors involved with photovoltaics. One thing that is nice about PV systens is the fact that there are no moving parts. However, out of all sources of renewable energy sources, PV is the least efficient, weighing in at 18%. However, at the same time, require little to no maintainence save for keeping the solar arrays clean and free of any shadows from phone lines and tree branches.

In my opinion, Solar thermal for hot water is the way to go. Those systems are 60% efficent, require alot less space, and most of the sun's energy that hits the earth is heat anyway. That alone will shed a sizable load off the residence utility bills.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
        There are so many factors involved with photovoltaics. One thing that is nice about PV systens is the fact that there are no moving parts. However, out of all sources of renewable energy sources, PV is the least efficient, weighing in at 18%. However, at the same time, require little to no maintainence save for keeping the solar arrays clean and free of any shadows from phone lines and tree branches.

In my opinion, Solar thermal for hot water is the way to go. Those systems are 60% efficent, require alot less space, and most of the sun's energy that hits the earth is heat anyway. That alone will shed a sizable load off the residence utility bills.
        Thanks for your constructive reply as electricity in OZ where I live is going though the roof and with our governments talking about carbon taxes its going to keep on going up what do youy pay for a KWatt per hour of electicity mine is 20c and doubling our the next couple of years.

Tony

Comment

Tony, bet you didnt know Brumby pulled the file containing the real truth about the smart meters we are all going to have to pay for. They are BS and dont work. The professor who was commissioned to do the study returned the wrong answers so Brumby did the usual and removed the truth.
          As for that little weasel Holding we are going to pay truckloads for teh Desal Plant. I say vote for rain, fill the dams adn tell Brumby and Co to get lost....!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
            Tony, bet you didnt know Brumby pulled the file containing the real truth about the smart meters we are all going to have to pay for. They are BS and dont work. The professor who was commissioned to do the study returned the wrong answers so Brumby did the usual and removed the truth.
            As for that little weasel Holding we are going to pay truckloads for teh Desal Plant. I say vote for rain, fill the dams adn tell Brumby and Co to get lost....!!!
            Don't mention that bastard Brumby or Bachelor my horror is if they get in for a forth term we will be in the same situation as NSW stuffed they are all spin the smart meter was supposed to come with another monitor put inside our homes to tell us how much each appliance is useing but that was scrapped because of how much it would cost so the smart meter is crap
            I am waiting vary patiently the Australain dollar is nearly 97cents to the U.S. dollar three more and I will be buying a Micro Drain camera Yippeeeeeeeee

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
              Thanks for your constructive reply as electricity in OZ where I live is going though the roof and with our governments talking about carbon taxes its going to keep on going up what do youy pay for a KWatt per hour of electicity mine is 20c and doubling our the next couple of years.

Tony
              I pay around 13-14 cents KW / hour, which is a residencial rate.

Comment

I pay around 13-14 cents KW / hour, which is a residencial rate.
                Is anything in the U.S. expensive or is eveything cheap compared with Australia and the rest of the world.

Tony

Comment

Is anything in the U.S. expensive or is eveything cheap compared with Australia and the rest of the world.

Tony
                  Again, that's the residencial rate. The commercial and industrial rates are the ones that are rape jobs. For them, there is a demand charge as well as useage charge. I will have to look them up to see those rates are. Typically, the actual amount fo electricity is the cheapest of the two, where it's usually a few pennies per KW, BUT again, that demand charge is what drives up the cost. From what I was told, it often three times or more than the residencial rate.

Comment

First of all I do not have solar,

but I have been studying it for a long time,

If in a off grid situation, solar can be cost effective (compared to having the grid brought in, in some locations), as many times the customer is charged or shares for the cost of bringing the line to the new location.

in a "modern home", do the fact the basic cost of electricity being low cost, much is used, thus to replace grid with solar is nearly cost prohibitive,

but if one starts out with solar, (and now with energy saving lights, LEDs and compact florescence), choosing what to use one can do a fine job for providing light and some other features electricity can bring to one on a reasonable affordable scale,

one will not be running large chest freezers or double wide refrigerators or AC on solar (cost effectively), most likely one will not be running a automatic washer machine or electric dryer either,

and the actual cost per KWH is expensive for solar,

actual if one pars down so solar is effective, (and still has the grid your bill would so low that most likely the minimum would be all one is paying),

now what most do is shift the energy used to other forms, propane, or NG, and change some life style,

like said AC is nearly not do able, so if building from scratch, using some natural cooling methods and using cooler night air, more and better ventilation and insulation,

but solar is for many an effective renewable energy, as most ever where the sun shines,

(it is some what like what I was told by solar heat dealer in 1980 for a building I was working on, he said insulate and improve it's efficiency's, and build it so that solar heat would be effective and the solar heat is no longer cost effective),

Home Power magazine is a good magazine that will explain the basics and the how to's of many renewable energies and articles on the people who have done it and the costs the realities of doing it, http://homepower.com/home/
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                      so Brumby did the usual and removed the truth.
                      Reminds me of "The Ministry of truth"

Do you have any links or more info RE: Smart meters?

We are about to get them around here, and get this, it's part of the stimulus package thats suppose to create jobs. And it will create 80 SHORT TERM jobs (installers)......BUT

..it's going to ELIMINATE 300 meter reader jobs and thats just the face of it, once you factor in all the 300 trucks they will no longer need to buy and maintain, etc..the number grows.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Personally, if any government is serious about using solar energy, especially during the day when most air conditioners are running, they should consider investing in one of these babies:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200..._powers_y.html

I can see a country like Austrailia using these, especially to power a reverse osmosis plant to feed water to the tower, which in turn the steam drives a turbine to generate.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                          Reminds me of "The Ministry of truth"

Do you have any links or more info RE: Smart meters?

We are about to get them around here, and get this, it's part of the stimulus package thats suppose to create jobs. And it will create 80 SHORT TERM jobs (installers)......BUT

..it's going to ELIMINATE 300 meter reader jobs and thats just the face of it, once you factor in all the 300 trucks they will no longer need to buy and maintain, etc..the number grows.
                          The smart meter its like big brother where they can monitor your useage hour by hour where meter readers are a thing of the past where they can individually cut you off without even leaving their office and where the user pays for them but are still owned by you electicity company yes this is the future
                          So it reminds you of the ministry of truth well we in Melbourne have the ministery of juctice which reminds me of a communist country and this is the way we are all heading with these bloody meter and it looks like you are too.

Tony

Comment

The smart meter its like big brother where they can monitor your useage hour by hour where meter readers are a thing of the past where they can individually cut you off without even leaving their office and where the user pays for them but are still owned by you electicity company yes this is the future
                            So it reminds you of the ministry of truth well we in Melbourne have the ministery of juctice which reminds me of a communist country and this is the way we are all heading with these bloody meter and it looks like you are too.

Tony
                            This in our local paper just today:
                            Maine's public health director has been asked to look into concerns raised by residents that the "smart" electricity meters being installed by Central Maine Power Co. are a potential health hazard.

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/p...010-10-01.html
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Personally, if any government is serious about using solar energy, especially during the day when most air conditioners are running, they should consider investing in one of these babies:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200..._powers_y.html

I can see a country like Austrailia using these, especially to power a reverse osmosis plant to feed water to the tower, which in turn the steam drives a turbine to generate.
                              with a system like that one could build by existing coal plants and reduce the load or the amount of coal needed and it would not take a lot of new infrastructure,
                              and the back up would all ready be in place.
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                              X