No announcement yet.

Ridgid R4090 vs. Dewalt D24000S

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R4090 vs. Dewalt D24000S

Looking at buying a ten inch tile saw. The price is about the same between the saws but that is all I know. Any professional opinions on which would be the best to get? I will only be using it for small jobs now but who knows in the future. I am considering Ridgid because of the warranty.

Re: Ridgid R4090 vs. Dewalt D24000S

Well I have owned many of what I thought were good wet saws over the past 10 years, including a DeWalt D24000S which I returned to DeWalt twice for drifting/alignment problems before settling on a third replacement unit thinking I'd have to live with this. I really was tired of the motor drift/alignment problems being told were inherant to the DeWalt D24000S stand.

A buddy who works at HD in my home town called me for lunch one day asking if I would come in and test the R4090 and provide an opinion based on my experience. hmm... free food! and I get to play with a new toy! (DONE) I agreed. First of all I had to assemble the thing first, he didn't tell me that until we finished lunch, whattaguy. Anyways I felt like I was building an Interositor, you know what I mean if you've seen "This Island Earth", a very old and cheesy, but good sci-fi movie. My point is that the instructions were just shy of terrible and there were lots of parts to the new table assembly.

After I put it together I was very impressed with the professional grade table. It folds away and expands better than anything I had ever seen out there. The way I see it, no matter what you get, you will always have to move your saw away from anything you don't want to get dirty/wet. I think there had to be serious engineering thoughts from Ridgid to implement the professional grade metal tubes used in the table support structure, it feels solid to me and there is no wobble, or slop like on the DeWalt D24999S. I think the best solution to support a beefy wet saw as in this case was to build something like this. I'm compelled to think Ridgid has been listening to everyone in our industry who have been asking for a solid engineered solution on portability, this new stand fits perfectly.

The R4090 motor assembly itself is beefy, luckily it comes pre-assembled and calibrated (I didn't have to do anything). You bolt this thing on with these HUGE bolts and after your done, you know it's not EVER moving. There were hoses and to me they seem pretty well managed, the cable and hose management system is nice in comparision to the sub-standard stuff I have seen over the past 10 years. I have read the comments mentioned here about broken valves etc and I just don't get it, I must have been lucky because this unit I assembled and later mine had absolutely no failed, Missing, or broken parts whatsover.

Anyways, I connected the water hose to the provided connector and flicked the power switch to the on position. I was seriously impressed with this thing period, everything is withing perfect reach and then I hit the laser button and realized how awesome this thing looked. But looks and gadgets are one thing and I wasn't going to let myself get taken by another pretty face, so I grabbed some of the hardest italian porcelin Daltile I had for a job coming up and put some down. This thing has two light sources, a bright LED to light up your work piece and the Laser, so I hit the button for those to come on and was ready for this Beast's virgin cut. The saw was so precise, I didn't need to whip out my marker, the laser was dead on and the material was firmly gripped by the rubber like surface (all I needed). There is a small adjustment knob in plain sight if you need to adjust the laser's verticle and lateral alignment (Again, nicely done Ridgid). There's also a knob right in front of the motor if you need to vary the motor speed for those difficult materials, (VERY COOL MOVE RIDGID, I could have used this great feature all along).

For me, there are only a few bad things I can say about this saw. 1: Alittle pricy, but then again it does have all these functional gadgets and now I can now diaganally rip up to a 24" tile so I guess I'll get over the price. 2: The stock blade they give you is not that good (HORRID I SAY). The test porcelin I was cutting had minor chips at the end of the material which I first attributed to the saw being slightly off alignment, until I checked that and found it was dead-on. I took off the stock blade and installed ol faithful, a new Alpha Porcellana PT10A+ I just baught a few weeks ago and was stunned at the glass smooth slice I had made. Yep, this saw is the last saw you will ever buy guys, at least I think so.
    Last edited by chingon; 03-04-2011, 11:24 PM.