• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable & Dish Got To Be Nervous...

Just in time for Christmas.

http://www.google.com/tv/

J.C.

Re: Cable & Dish Got To Be Nervous...

And this just got cranking in the South. Time will tell if it's a good thing.

http://www.att.com/u-verse/#fbid=R39aKUT1eu5

J.C.

Comment

The google thing sounds like an add on to your existing service???
      Might not be bad if you can buy the equipment and not pay an added monthly fee.
      Even if it's an add on, thats just one step away from just hooking directly to the net.

Since we are on the subject of TV, whats the deal with Dish charging $350 for the NFL ticket? I've talked to a few friends, most of us would be willing to pay $100, but $350, no way. I think they would bring in way more $$ if they dropped the price to $100.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
        Even if it's an add on, thats just one step away from just hooking directly to the net.

Since we are on the subject of TV, whats the deal with Dish charging $350 for the NFL ticket? I've talked to a few friends, most of us would be willing to pay $100, but $350, no way. I think they would bring in way more $$ if they dropped the price to $100.
        If this thing hits, I think that everything will start going to an "information pipe" that everything just runs on. Basically, the internet is your TV service.

And the traditional players better get in position. Cable might be ok as they have offered internet for years. So they'll just transfer fees. Dish.... I don't know about. Almost nobody uses them for internet service.

That's crazy for the NFL Ticket. You've got to be in the betting game or really love it. Lots of free games on.

I just have an antenna thrown up in the attic.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post

Supposed to be just a $299.99 box offered by Logitech in Mid October without additional fees.

IF I read right.

J.C.

Comment

I have a friend who refuses to subscribe to cable or dish, which leaves him to either digital signals through and antenna, or Internet tv which he sometimes runs through his full size tv. I wonder how this Internet service would work if you have several tv's in the house? I hope at the very least competition from Google forces cable to lower their rates.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              And this just got cranking in the South. Time will tell if it's a good thing.

http://www.att.com/u-verse/#fbid=R39aKUT1eu5

J.C.
              I've had this service in the San Francisco Bay Area for the past 3 years, Internet speed is blazing fast download, I get a steady 18 Mbps and my upload is as fast as neighbor's download. The IP address seems to be static, not dynamic. I am not a big fan of television but I prefer U-verse over any other service I have had in the past (DirecTV, Dish Network, and Comcast Cable).

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                I have a friend who refuses to subscribe to cable or dish, which leaves him to either digital signals through and antenna, or Internet tv which he sometimes runs through his full size tv. I wonder how this Internet service would work if you have several tv's in the house? I hope at the very least competition from Google forces cable to lower their rates.
                So just how much does your cable/statalite TV cost per month ??????//

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Just in time for Christmas.

http://www.google.com/tv/

J.C.
                  I thought it was going to be more like this..

AppleTV

Comment

Google TV seems to be an enhancement to Satellite and Cable, NOT a replacement. The other feature it has is, it moves your web browser (in this case, CHROME) from your traditional computer display and puts it seamlessly on your TV display, kind of like an extra channel.

For over 10 years, I have been waiting for the day that standard Analogue definition gets replaced by High Definition. This is a step in the wrong direction. We are all bringing 1920 x 1080 displays into our homes but most internet content is more like 676 x 380, that is lower resolution than analogue TV.

Comment

Google TV is designed as an overlay for your existing TV service. It will show you what is being broadcast on TV, as well as showing you what is available on YouTube, Hulu, NetFlix, etc. It will be a good alternative to watching TV with a laptop computer balanced in your lap.

The satellite companies are not going anywhere anytime soon either. Sure, in the major urban markets you have technologies like Verizon's FIOS service, or at&t's U-Verse eating away at them. But in the rural markets and spcialty markets, satellite is still king. By specialty markets, I mean things like having TV in your RV, or airplane, or boat.

This country's infrastructure needs to be greatly improved before all these newer technologies can really take off. Our last mile deployment is still really lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post

Tony
                        The cable paln with a few premium channels is around $60, but I have six converters whcih bring the bill up to $100 a month. Without the converters you cannot get any reception, cablevision worked it that way to get more money from the consumer. I have one converter in my tenants apt so they have tv service.

IF I wasn't married and had two daughters at home I would not have cable or any other pay service! Free digital broadcast would give me a few channels, Internet tv and borrowing movies from my local library would be just fine. In my opinion it's a big waste of money, but I just live here.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post

Tony
                          I have CableVision. With Internet ($44.95), Phone ($19.95), and one HD converter box with family cable. The total cost is $141 or something, so cable with 1 TV comes out to about $76.

Comment

Working...
                          X