Invited Over?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invited Over?

Have you ever been invited to a customers' house for a social gathering or dinner with them?

I have but always want to keep a business barrier between myself and customers.

Just curious.

J.C.

Re: Invited Over?

I have but always want to keep a business barrier between myself and customers.

Good idea me thinks.

Comment

J.C., probably a good business practice, unless you feel they are in a position to expand your customer base or benefit your business in some other way.

I think the folks who work such an invitation to their advantage are the ones who can socialize and not get drawn into the new friend doing work for free zone.

Comment

what were they serving,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Good friends are hard to come by. What is your gut feel about this one?

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Never went to dinner,but did have a home owner invite every one that worked on their house,for a "job well done every one " cook out once.I thought it was nice of them to show appreciation to us.Not every one you do work for does such.

Comment

I ended up marrying one of my customers. Maybe I should have declined that first dinner invitation.

Comment

half my friends that came to our wedding were customers that wanted to go.

half of phoebes gifts are from my customers.

1 of my best friends was a customers of mine 20 years ago. we are pretty much family and i hate to think how many times i've been to dinner and over for dinner with them.

i treat my customers like family, why not be like family and take them up on their offer.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Maybe its a swingers party and they want you to bring your snake?

Comment

I only work by referral so in a round about way everyone knows everyone else. Been to dinner, cook outs, camps, paddling, hunting and the like. I feel in terms of payments, both given and received, if you are going to give money to someone give it to someone you like.

Comment

I politely decline.

I do like to keep business and pleasure separate. just prevents those awkward situations where you friends feel like you charged them too much.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I guess I would have to agree, in principle. I'm obviously NOT in the service trades, but I am on the customer side of things.

I guess from a serviceman's point of view, you always have to have your guard up to ensure that you are not put in a position where some how a new "friend" is only being friendly so that they can be in your favor for a "freebe".

On the other hand though, it might be that the people just like you, find something in common, that you share a mutual interest, or perhaps they just found you interesting and would like to know you better.

On the other side of things, I've had a couple of service guys express interest in my shop, or my Ham Radio setup, etc. Should I treat them as characters that I just hired to come fix something, and they deserve nothing more of my time or interest? Perhaps they might think that I'm trying to take advantage of them, if I tell them to give us a call sometime and we'll talk woodworking or Ham radio. (Or is it that they want to talk about it on their service call so that they can charge me those extra minutes?).

Personally, I don't ask any of my friends for help, especially if my need is something that is their profession. Heck, I can't even get a hand from my brother, unless he brings his calculator$$ with him.

Suspicious or what,

CWS

Comment

I've been invited to alot of parties that I have delivered portable toilets for. Those I never go to. I have been to some open houses that my customers have sent me invites to however. It's a networking opportunity.
                          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

From what I've seen.... Being more friendly with customers will usually get you more business. Once they consider you a friend, they're quick to tell everyone they know about you when your trade comes up.

I understand your take on it, and wanting to keep it professional, but my opinion is that it's beneficial to make friends out of customers
                            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                            X