X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifetime Service Agreement

If the tools are warrantied for life why do I need to register them to get warrantied service? I have several tools that I love but the batteries are starting to go - but I've been told since I didn't register them I don't qualify for the free batteries. Why aren't they simple covered as part of a life time warranty?

Where can I register them - and at what point is it to late. Several of the tools we purchased from Home Depot as demo units that didn't come with documentation....

All in all I love the tools, I just don't know why I need to pay for a part that is covered by warranty simple because I didn't register it.

Re: Lifetime Service Agreement

Originally posted by MYTToolGuy View Post
    If the tools are warrantied for life why do I need to register them to get warrantied service? I have several tools that I love but the batteries are starting to go - but I've been told since I didn't register them I don't qualify for the free batteries. Why aren't they simple covered as part of a life time warranty?

Where can I register them - and at what point is it to late. Several of the tools we purchased from Home Depot as demo units that didn't come with documentation....

All in all I love the tools, I just don't know why I need to pay for a part that is covered by warranty simple because I didn't register it.
    I registered my tools online back in 2006 and I sent in the mail in information as well. Now that I need a couple batteries I was informed that the mailin was never received. I have been in email communication with a customer rep who says my tools are either second hand or stolen if I can't produce the register receipt. Not the response I was hoping for from a customer rep. Supposedly there are thousands of customers in the same position. The LSA sounds like a good selling point but if it is not working for the consumer, I think it has the oppostie effect for future sales.

Comment

Where did you get the idea that there is a lifetime warranty? Ridgid doesn't offer a lifetime warranty but they do have a Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. That program is above and beyond their normal 3 Year Warranty and yes you must properly register your tool into it. You snooze you loose but that's not Ridgid's fault. FWIW, the LLSA Program has worked flawlessly for me as all of my Ridgid tools were easily and quickly registered into the Program after I submitted the required information. While some may have had a problem or two I'm guessing that the vast majority of those who did encounter difficulties have only themselves to blame.
      Last edited by BadgerDave; 10-22-2010, 05:44 PM.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        Where did you get the idea that there is a lifetime warranty? Ridgid doesn't offer a lifetime warranty but they do have a Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. That program is above and beyond their normal 3 Year Warranty and yes you must properly register your tool into it. You snooze you loose but that's not Ridgid's fault. FWIW, the LLSA Program has worked flawlessly for me as all of my Ridgid tools were easily and quickly registered into the Program after I submitted the required information. While some may have had a problem or two I'm guessing that the vast majority of those who did encounter difficulties have only themselves to blame.
        I would have agreed with you a couple of weeks ago, but after my recent experience, I have to respectfully disagree. I know I cut out that upc symbol on my combo box and mail it in with the register receipt almost five years ago. I should have kept copies and I should have pursued other confirmation way back when. I know I bought my tools new from home depot at full price and my serial number should confirm at least the store to which they were delivered. My complaint with Ridgid's customer service and how they are handling my situation is the cut and dry approach and response. I did not register stolen tools online, and I did not buy them second hand. That kind of response tells me they don't care about an individual's specific problem.

I'm happy for the folks who have had their LSA honored, but according to Ridgid, there are thousands of customers who as I said either dropped the ball or have wrongly been denied service. A couple of batteries won't make or break my day, but the level of customer care I receive will impact future purchases.

Comment

Sir, I went above and beyond when it came to registering my tools. not only did I fill out that form, register online, mail in that UPC code, but I also taken a screenshot of the confirmation number assigned to me, printed it out, highlighted the said number, and sent the entire package in with proper postage. It was rejected on the lame grounds of "The registration number didn't print out right. How is that possible when I did NOT infact print the page out, but capture an image and made a paper copy? The simple answer is: It is not possible for the confirmation number to "print out wrong". bleh

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
            Sir, I went above and beyond when it came to registering my tools. not only did I fill out that form, register online, mail in that UPC code, but I also taken a screenshot of the confirmation number assigned to me, printed it out, highlighted the said number, and sent the entire package in with proper postage. It was rejected on the lame grounds of "The registration number didn't print out right. How is that possible when I did NOT infact print the page out, but capture an image and made a paper copy? The simple answer is: It is not possible for the confirmation number to "print out wrong". bleh
            Another satisfied customer! Everytime customer service reps save Ridgid money by denying claims and frustrating consumers, they are actually losing money for Ridgid!

Comment

Cmon you guys, show me a company that doesn't have a glitch every now and again. I'm not saying either of you or anyone else for that matter hasn't had a problem with the LLSA but you guys, especially you Frankiarmz, are making it sound like everybody who applies for it gets denied. As my opinion, like yours, has as much validity as the next persons I stand by what I said,......... "I'm guessing that the vast majority of those who did encounter difficulties have only themselves to blame."
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Cmon you guys, show me a company that doesn't have a glitch every now and again. I'm not saying either of you or anyone else for that matter hasn't had a problem with the LLSA but you guys, especially you Frankiarmz, are making it sound like everybody who applies for it gets denied. As my opinion, like yours, has as much validity as the next persons I stand by what I said,......... "I'm guessing that the vast majority of those who did encounter difficulties have only themselves to blame."
                Go ahead and stand by your words, you are entitled to your opinion, however uninformed. We are not discussing opinions, we are discussing facts here. The FACT is, inspite of the FACT we fill out our assigned paperwork properly, and thus hold up our end of the agreement, and (In my case) present evidence of confirmations of properly and correctly filled out said paperwork along side the package, are still denied the very service offered through the purchase of listed products.

Tell you what, let us go ahead and say you are right. If I am to be blamed for anything, then I blame myself for not performing the very fuctions someone else is hired to perform for them. I should have simply fill out the forms, hand deliver them to the customer service department (In whatever country it is located), stamp "Approved" on the registration sheet myself, and sit down at the nearest cubicale and enter the appropiate data into Ridgid's computer database. All the while on my own free time and labor, meanwhile hired employees standby, accomplish nothing, and getting paid for it. You sir are quite correct, I have no one else to blame but myself, inspite of the fact I presented evidence that stated otherwise.
                Last edited by tailgunner; 10-22-2010, 09:37 PM.

Comment

I'm afraid that I have to agree with BadgerDave. I've not had any problems with over a dozen tools registered. Generally speaking, the process takes about 20 minutes and I'm good for life!

I can, however, understand that an occasional "glitch" will occur. I think the key there is make sure you keep a copy of your information so that you can re-send it should such an event happen to you. But, it is important that you pay attention... as going back after a year or more isn't going to help anybody. (Put yourself in Ridgid's position... would you take care of a customer a year or more after your service, based only on what they say?)

(Tailgunner: I can understand your frustration with the process. You don't say how long it was before you discovered thier "mistake". Certainly if your discovery and re-submission was timely, then I would think that you have some recourse to get coverage and I would pursue this to whatever level necessary. I know that if one of my registrations was somehow "lost", I would be quite peeved about it and making a few phone calls to get it corrected.)

I think one has to understand that there's an awful lot of folks who buy thier tools off of E-Bay or Craig's List (which are not in keeping with Ridgid's exclusivity agreement with Home Depot) or even liberate them from some local source... there's a lot channels in which tools can be acquired. Without the "proofs" that Ridgid stipulates, you cannot expect them to honor just "your word".

Regarding the "why" of it all, there's plenty of reasons why a company wants to know who thier customers are and desire "registration". As may be the case with Ridgid/TTI, they'll even go to the extent of offering an encentive to do so... in this case the LLSA.

So, as Badger Dave stated, there is NO "Lifetime Warranty"! The warranty is 3-years. There is however, a "Limited Lifetime Service AGREEMENT"... but that has a simple stipulation in order to get it... you must agree to meet the requirements of registration and if you do so, then TTI "agrees" to offer you Lifetime Service for a fairly broad range of service.

It's really rather simple, but I do agree that there can and has been some challenges, so one has to make sure they meet the requirements, get covered, and are able to re-submit any "proof", in case there's a glitch... but one needs to be diligent.

(Frankly I find a bit of this amusing as many people complain about "jumping through hoops", "fraud", "lifetime warranty shouldn't require anything", etc.. Reminds me of the time my company decided it would be nice to offer the encentive of an extra "vacation day" to any employee who worked 90-days without being absent or tardy. Before anyone could blink, the Union twisted it around to say it wasn't fair that one of their guys got "docked" a day for coming in late! I guess no matter how you frame an "encentive", there's always going to be those who see it differently. Human nature I suppose.)

CWS
                  Last edited by CWSmith; 10-22-2010, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Like I said, I'm happy for those who had had the warranty honored, "BUT" according to the customer rep I have been in contact with, "Thousands" of consumers have not taken the proper steps towards the LSA.

I am pretty sure I did all that was necessary at the time, but did not keep proof. Tailgunner seems to have gone above and beyond in his case. I'll keep playing email tag with Ridgid and make my feelings known because I think I was wronged. Cheaper for me to either have my batteries rebuilt or buy new than buy a new combo set. I am not happy with this turn of events and that means if I ever purchase another combo set, this sort of warranty won't hold much water.

Comment

CWS, their "mistake" had taken months for them to even make myself aware, and the reason they gave for such a "mistake" was the registration number did not print out correctly. I made that package dummy proof when I inserted the screen snapshot of the online registration numbers, with them highlighted, to ensure we all were on the same page. I made my submission in such a manner that was absolute and thus without potential for such "mistakes".

I'll fix this mistake the same way they made it: By sitting on my behind and do nothing. A standard of customer service usually reserved for government offices.

Comment

The point is really simple - trust your customers and follow up with what you say. The current ads state I'll never need to buy a replacement battery. It's pretty clear... It shouldn't matter where I acquired my tools, if I registered them or not.

I can take a craftsman hand tool back to sears and get a free replacement anytime - even one I've deliberately misused. No questions asked.

Comment

Franki... It's not a "Warranty"!

I do understand your frustration, but by your own admission you didn't discover this until "years" and you kept nothing that confirms your submission.

We live in an age where mistakes happen, people don't always do their job, and sh!t just happens. It used to be people would tell you it's "in the mail" and now they blame it on "the computer". But, with stories of people goofing off, mailmen throwing thier bags of mail in the nearest dumpster, and all kinds of other human misgivings... surely one can not drop their guard and totally entrust in either the U.S Post Office, a company's internal distribution system, or some possible minimum-wage person hoping for a less-boring job.

We've always lived in the face for somebody's neglectfulness or incompetance... protect yourself. Sure it's always somebody else's fault, but it's like walking in the rain, it's nobody's fault but your own if you get soaked! And please understand, I mean you NO disrespect at all when I say that.

As far as "the thousands" that never register, I would have to agree with that. But don't take that as being that there are thousand of mistakes or thousands who have sent in their paperwork and it's been lost. Let's face it, people generally won't be "bothered". Thousand's won't "bother" to vote and thousands won't bother to take their garbage to the curb, and thousands more, won't take a shower in the morning. But you can bet that a good share of those that can't be "bothered" will be "bothered" tremendously that they're not getting their fair share of whatever.

CWS

Comment

Tailgunner,

I understand, but of course that doesn't resolve your problem. Sure wish I could help you out with this though.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by MYTToolGuy View Post
                              The point is really simple - trust your customers and follow up with what you say. The current ads state I'll never need to buy a replacement battery. It's pretty clear... It shouldn't matter where I acquired my tools, if I registered them or not.

I can take a craftsman hand tool back to sears and get a free replacement anytime - even one I've deliberately misused. No questions asked.

Wecome to the forum!

Not sure what "current ads" you are talking about, but I would think that you're only quoting part of the ad, and that there's further statement, which "right or wrong" in your opinion is nothing new to the advertizing game.

As far as the Craftsman brand though, YES, you can take most hand tools back, but it is not always as simple as you state... or at least that hasn't been my experience. But, you are talking about hand tools, NOT power tools. If you look at Craftsman's power tool warranty, you will see that it is only one year... hardly competitive in today's market and certainly no comparison at all to Ridgid's 3-year warranty and "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" option (with proper registration).

CWS

Comment

Working...
                              X