Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cigarettes

tks all,

going well... cravings very dealable with... just kind of minor tensoion/excess energy now. I had it tapered to less than 10/day for two weeks, and down to 5 or less for a few days after that. Day 2 of none was pretty awful and I caved in and bummed one, but now at day 4 it's not huge. Mostly just kind of sad because I did enjoy them. I don't really want to quit, just know I need to.

Yeah flux; I'm anticipating the weight gain; that's what the skate skiing is supposed to be about; exercise to burn up the weight. Also I think it'll be good for me in other ways. Bought my season pass to 3 nordic centers in the area yesterday.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
      tks all,

going well... cravings very dealable with... just kind of minor tensoion/excess energy now. I had it tapered to less than 10/day for two weeks, and down to 5 or less for a few days after that. Day 2 of none was pretty awful and I caved in and bummed one, but now at day 4 it's not huge. Mostly just kind of sad because I did enjoy them. I don't really want to quit, just know I need to.

Yeah flux; I'm anticipating the weight gain; that's what the skate skiing is supposed to be about; exercise to burn up the weight. Also I think it'll be good for me in other ways. Bought my season pass to 3 nordic centers in the area yesterday.

Keep going man, another week and you will be over the hump. It will get easier after that. You can do it, the toughest days are already behind you.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

It's been a week since I smoked the last of my last pack, and five days since I bummed one from my neighbor.

The physical nicotine addiction is history.

Interestingly, I'm finding it is only now begining to be truly difficult. I'm finding semi-formed/expressed rationalized arguments about how, well, you kicked it, it's dead, you can do what you like now, floating though the back of my conciousness. Insidious.

Withdrawel was a cakewalk. It lasted last than a week. I can take a week of darn near anything. But this, this whatever it is, I can tell this is going to go on for a while.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Breaking the physical part is the easy part. I use to say quiting is easy, I do it all the time. Then September 1, 1987 came along and I realized it was a fight to the death.

Good luck and my thoughts are with you.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Hang in there, I know it's tough; but you'll be glad you stayed with it.

I quit over 20 years ago from three packs a day and I truly enjoyed smoking. Today, I don't miss them a bit. And think of the money I saved.

You'll get through it and will even begin to act like a normal human in a few more days. Just hang in there!
            Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I think I should quit too.... Heck, everyone else is doing it
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                I think I should quit too.... Heck, everyone else is doing it
                Do it for yourself, not because its popular.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

So, Mark...

What happened 9/1/87?

10 days nic free and counting... was daring today; bought gas at the store where they have cheap cigs where I used to buy them all the time... truly amazing how difficult this remains.

My gut is already bigger. I'm going for a walk.

Comment

I'll send you nude pics of me to show you the after effects of not smoking for 8 years.

I was around a smoker today...didn't like it but I was at a restaurant for a meeting. Trust me; he's hooked, would like to stop but doesn't have the willpower.

A little clarification: Once you've smoked, you're a candidate for lung cancer from that point on. I've heard of countless people dying that smoked and quit years, even decades earlier and still comes back and gets them.

Lung cancer usually comes asymptomatic, meaning no warning till it's too late. And the older we are, the more our body cannot fight. Discouraging but quitting is not the guarantee. Less likely? Maybe, but no guarantee. Your chances are greater. I have regrets for being a smoker.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Yeah...

I'm under no illusions regarding lung cancer and emphysema. I'm sure I'll die horribly regardless. But I'm thinking that in the meantime it'd be nice to
                      - have a little more cash
                      - not stink so much
                      - not have exercise hurt so much
                      - not have 4/5 of the few single women I meet discount me as a possibility immediately

Comment

So, Mark...

What happened 9/1/87?

10 days nic free and counting... was daring today; bought gas at the store where they have cheap cigs where I used to buy them all the time... truly amazing how difficult this remains.

I was admitted into the hospital for what they thought may have been a heart attack but was not. The day I was admitted was also the first day of the ban on smoking at Kaiser-Permanents facilities. As I was on a 72-hour hold I felt it was a good time to quit for good.

On another note, my mother was a life long smoker. We were told smokers have a 50% higher chance of getting Alzheimer's. Her last few years were very sad.

Mark
                        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 11-07-2010, 09:33 PM.
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

What is the youngest age someone can get Alzheimer's?
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                            What is the youngest age someone can get Alzheimer's?
                            http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0090329AA9kZ13

Comment

So, Mark...

What happened 9/1/87?

Ace, Stay in there it is not easy but it is well worth the effort. I quit about 35 years ago and I was like a bear ( crabbie) for a few day but got over it. I also did not gain any weight as I cut back because because the body did not have to use up calories fighting off the poision toxics that the smoke was putting in your system. How are you doing by now. Rich

Comment

My brother just quit smoking 3 weeks ago

Its about time everyone quit smoking cigarettes

After all its bad for you, I myself quit years ago!

Comment

Working...
                                X