X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cigarettes

ok folks, take a sec to send me a thought during a frustrating moment tomorrow.

3rd serious try.

got down to 10/day about a month ago. been down below 5/day for a week now. just smoked the last one in what I decided was my last pack.

Tomorrow's gonna be tough.

Please, God, Powers-that-Be, Kind and Benevolent Universe, etc; don't let anyone drive badly near me for the next few days.

motivational mantra:

If I went to the store and bought a scratch off, and it was a $100k winner, that would be about $57k in my pocket after taxes.

But, $57k is really the same as about $4k/yr; that's about what it would cost to pay the interest on $57k of loan.

But the interest woud be deductable if it was on a building. so really that's about $2400/yr in post tax dollars... which is about what I spend on cigarettes.

So if I just stay with it, it's like I hit a $100k scratch off. And I might not get lung cancer for a side bonus.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: cigarettes

You can do it! I know its tough. I quit chewing snoose years ago and while I still miss it, I'm glad I did. Keep after it.
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I think you can, I think you can, I think you can.... hey Man, you can do this!!!!

My thoughts and best wishes for a bright and healthy future are with you,

CWS

Comment

Good luck Alex. You've got it in your to quit. You could take a nice vacation every year from the savings. Or buy a new camera system

Comment

When the pain in my upper chest would not go away I was pissed at myself for being such a pussie.

The tobacco companies had found a way to make Billions.Leer Jets,Mansions,Top Rate Hookers.
          All off me being a weak little wienie cancering myself.
          Once I was mad at that reality the rest was cake.

Alex,
          Mail me your extra money.
          What...No extra money?
          InterestIng.

Hey,you got any friends you care about.Want to keep them from harm...

HYPOCRITE!!!

Comment

Get the patch!

Comment

I know smoking is not a cheap habit, but you should put your health first. Stay strong and if you start to feel weak and light that cigarette, right after the first puff touch the hot end to your wrist to remind yourself that it will cause you pain. You can do it if you really want to, please make it happen!

Comment

Have you ever tried to smoke herbal smoke instead / or in place of cigarettes?

Its cheaper, better for you.....and comes in flavors

I mean the LEGAL stuff not weed.

Like the hooka smoke herb stuff that you can also roll....
                Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

tks all...

afternoon of day three. bummed one yesterday eve, so cheated a little, but basically I'm through it now... cravings coming less often and easier to blow off.

Feels like I got it whupped. Now just have to remember that I'm (sadly) not one of those people who can have one once in a while w/o getting sucked in again. Wish I could just smoke one in the eve once in a while, but it just doesn't work that way for me.

Phase two starts this weekend; off to the nordic ski swap for some skating equipment and a season pass. Gonna see just how much damage I've done with some nice hardcore aerobic sport. Nothing like a balding 43 yr old dude with a gut in a skin suit. I'm thinking 'Enter the Dragon' yellow with black stripes.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Something like this?
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyH5iKXJy6k

Comment

Keep on brother.
                      Kick it's a$$

Comment

HABITS

Many, many things are habits. Winning is a habit. Losing is a habit. Drinking, smoking, exercise, behaviors, self improvement, maintenance, etc. The positive of this is that we all can choose which habits we choose to participate.

Cravings gone. Choose & work on positive habits.

And post pictures of the Kung Fu sweatsuit.

J.C.

Comment

JC's post had me realize something.
                          I had white knuckled the smoking thing for about three months.Took up Chewing tobacco for at least half a year,probably closer to a full one.Joey(Mrs.Seatdown) got tired of holding my spitoon so I had to drop that.I think you saw that one Alex.

I guess it was shortly after that I got on a big 7 day a week mountain bike thing out in the moutains,over did it and hurt my knees for what I thought might be a permanent thing.They just now are no longer a scare.

All habits can be overdone.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            HABITS

Many, many things are habits. Winning is a habit. Losing is a habit. Drinking, smoking, exercise, behaviors, self improvement, maintenance, etc. The positive of this is that we all can choose which habits we choose to participate.

Cravings gone. Choose & work on positive habits.

And post pictures of the Kung Fu sweatsuit.

J.C.
                            J.C., I agree with you for the most part but there are exceptions. I don't think I have an addictive personality, never smoked, used drugs, or drank much. I do enjoy a variey of foods and try not to over indulge. The one thing I constantly crave is intimacy with a woman (my wife), her health problems prevent that. I'm bring this up not to burden or upset the forum but to share what a lot of married folks must deal with at some point in their relationship.
                            I'm not a cheat, and although I rationalize what is happening, my body and mind constantly crave what I cannot have. Right now I'm a bit depressed, frustrated, angry and confused with the whole situation. I wish I could switch my situation with someone who is trying to avoid cigarettes.

I am reminded that we each have our problems and like the story goes, if you were sitting around a table with a bunch of folks and everyone could put their problems on the table and switch with someone else, chances are that after some careful consideration you would take back you own problems.

Comment

Over 4 years ago, I quit smoking cold turkey, and it was the hardest thing I ever did in my life. Nobody could talk to me for 3 weeks and saying I had road rage was an understatement. I was driving with half my body out of the window hollering and giving the finger to anyone driving stupidly. I look back on it now..and I was 100% wrong for my actions, as I could of gotten arrested, but couldn't help it cause I was craving nicotine.

I was an addictive smoker...and people think cocaine or heroin are addictive drugs...nicotine is right up there. Addictive smokers can attest to how addictive nicotine is...and it's extremely hard to get off of.

Within a week of stopping smoking, my circulation in my legs were getting back to normal, as my legs were not easily falling asleep.

The biggest problem with stopping smoking was..I was eating food like it was going out of style. I gained 40lbs in a 6 month period, and that was the hardest thing for me to lose afterwards.

Ace I give you all the credit in the world if you can stop smoking..you will feel so much better about yourself when it's over.
                              Last edited by Flux; 10-30-2010, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X