Clear All

• The Best?

Are you one of the best at what you do?

J.C.

Re: The Best?

I don't do a lot but what I do do I do well

Comment

I can honestly say that when working as a utility Lineman, I was very good at certain things but had my weaknesses. I worked with a partner who was in my opinion one of the best at everything. I think being very good or the best requires strength, smarts and desire. I always gave a good effort and got upset to see younger, stronger and probably smarter guys content to hide in the background. Interesting thing about folks who I consider the best at what they did, they never bragged! They just made their skills known by doing.

Comment

Only on thursday mornings. You caught me a lil' early friendo.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
          Only on thursday mornings. You caught me a lil' early friendo.
          Go ahead and toss the coin. Ain't nothin' shaking but the leaves on the trees.

J.C.

Comment

I think so, and thankfully my management chain has agreed thus far. I am good at solving technical challenges. Within a project, I am pretty good at knowing enough about most things to make connections; and a lot about a one or two things so that I can really make a difference there.

The way performance ratings work where I am employed, all of the people with the same position I have (Research Staff Member), are ranked from the best to the worst. When you start out, you are in the bottom quarter [they only tell you which quarter you are in]. When you get a good rating, you move up the curve. When you get a bad rating you move down. Each percentile has a target salary, and when raises are given the goal is to move people towards their target salary (not necessarily all at once); but the bigger the difference between your target and your actual salary the idea is you get a bigger raise. Since this is a zero sum game, it really matters how well your first-line manager (and all of the other first and second-lines in the group) that your contributions matter; since if you move up then someone else moves down.

Comment

In this service area? I'm one of the best, I know it, the boss knows it, and so do the customers.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I'll let the customers make that call. And they do. Keep calling. Thankfully.
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

considering other plumbers and contractors use me to bail them out
                  i would say certainly at my specialties.

if i would put together a dream team, with all the contacts i have worked besides, we would be unstoppable.

in new construction, we had at 1 time over 100 plumbers. of that i could pick out 10 that would be part of the dream team.

then there's others that would be a nightmare

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Over the past five months, I've found that I am extremely good at doing nothing.
                    Steve
                    www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I'm a "Technical Illustrator" and spent most of my professional life in Technical Publications where I made a reputation for myself as a "can do" person. I like challenges and as such, I learned almost every facet of technical publishing, including illustration, parts listing, writing, schematic and logic diagramming, typography, page composition, graphic design, desktop publishing, photography, digital retouching, database design, and even some cartooning. Most of these things I was very good at and no other person that I knew could match me in the entirety of my skills, much less the background and innovations that I could "bring to the table". But above all, no one in my area could match my illustration skills, except one!

When I started my career back in the mid-60's, there was one guy in the office who's skills with a drafting pencil were such that I paled by comparison. Fortunately, his talents were so outstanding that he was the main airbrush artist, and therefore left all the mundane line illustration work to the rest of us.

Unfortunately, he was so good at that one thing, that it became his only thing; and soon started his own solo business. About twenty years ago, his business dried up. I on the other hand, stayed in the technical publications business, serving the manufacturing industry for the rest of my working years.

Versatility counts for sure, but only if you can master skills you offer and only if those skills meet your customer's needs. I know in my own right, in my own territory, in the company of my competitors and peers, I was very good at my profession and considered myself the best. But I also know that being the "best" simply means that my vision was no doubt limited, for I've certainly seen published illustrations that I could only envy. Now I'm retired from that, and I no longer have the time or ambition to use any of it to make money. I still keep my hand in it, but mostly for the fun and curiosity of it. A really big realization is that computers now provide great aid to those who do what I used to do and in many ways a lot of my old talents are no longer a necessity for doing the job.

CWS

Comment

Certain aspects of our trade, I feel as though I could hang with anyone in the industry. My father has an impeccable and respectable name in our area, and quite a few Plumbing & Heating contractors bounce questions off of him all the time. But I know what my strengths and weaknesses are, and I continue to work on them both all the time.

I have yet to see or meet a contractor that is the "best" at ALL 4 phases between Plumbing-Heating-Cooling-Drain cleaning. I'm willing to bet most are very good at 2 out of the 4.
                        Last edited by Flux; 10-28-2010, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Pffffft I'm fair. I would expect anybody in service to be at or above my level. I can plumb a house just fine, but I worked with guys that could do what I did way faster and sometimes better or smarter. forget commercial or industrial. with drain cleaning I have great equipment and I hate call backs but I expect I could train a baboon to run a machine like I can. Any how if a customer calls me I will get the job done just fine, none of there personal property will be missing, and if they care I will engage them in idol banter about a wide range of topics. The Best? no

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                            Pffffft I'm fair. I would expect anybody in service to be at or above my level. I can plumb a house just fine, but I worked with guys that could do what I did way faster and sometimes better or smarter. forget commercial or industrial. with drain cleaning I have great equipment and I hate call backs but I expect I could train a baboon to run a machine like I can. Any how if a customer calls me I will get the job done just fine, none of there personal property will be missing, and if they care I will engage them in idol banter about a wide range of topics. The Best? no
                            Give yourself a higher rating and more credit for a job well done. Heck, if I have a serviceman working in my home and he doesn't break or steal anything, hurt my family and actually repair the problem, I feel he did a great job!

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                              Saying we are the BEST at something means to me that....there is nobody better. 300 million people in this country alone, and I truly believe there is always going to be someone better.
                              To give an example of myself...yes I can drain clean as well, but from being on this website, I know darn well there are quite a few here who would smoke me in drain cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                              X