X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop Light Bulb Alternative

I have found the "rough service" incandescent bulbs I use in my corded drop light either very difficult to find or very expensive. I did try using a small compact fluorescent but it broke from a slight impact. Today I bought a four pack of 60watt replacement compact fluorescent bulbs from Costco for $.89. The difference in these bulbs is that they have a outer plastic shell which makes them look like a standard incandescent bulb, and seems to offer some added protection. I have one im my drop light now and so far it seems to be working fine and holding up to some bumps and bangs. These might be worth a try for $.89. Good luck.

Re: Drop Light Bulb Alternative

I been using them too ...What i like about them is you can have water drip on them and they dont go Bang

Comment

I have seen some LED drop lights being rolled out. They seemed pretty rugged to me, and immensly bright for the miniscule amount of energy they consume.
      Last edited by tailgunner; 10-28-2010, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
        I have seen some LED drop lights being rolled out. They seemed pretty rugged to me, and immensly brihgt for the miniscule amount of energy they consume.
        The LED drop lights I've seen in the stores are sort of long and narrow, not sure if they would fit well in some confined areas? LED's are in my opinon the future because they last a very long time, are rugged, put out good light, operate at a much cooler temperature than incandescent ( I still have some scars) and save energy.

I bet if I took the time I could fabricate a LED flashlight driven drop light. I would need to design a fixture to bounce the light at a right angle off a reflector that had a hook for hanging the light. Hanging my drop light for hands free work is one of the features I need, sure would be nice not dragging the cord around!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          The LED drop lights I've seen in the stores are sort of long and narrow, not sure if they would fit well in some confined areas? LED's are in my opinon the future because they last a very long time, are rugged, put out good light, operate at a much cooler temperature than incandescent ( I still have some scars) and save energy.

I bet if I took the time I could fabricate a LED flashlight driven drop light. I would need to design a fixture to bounce the light at a right angle off a reflector that had a hook for hanging the light. Hanging my drop light for hands free work is one of the features I need, sure would be nice not dragging the cord around!
          I just thought of a good one. You know those drop lights with an outlet built into them? Not only should you design a LED drop light, but with an outlet with built in GFCI protection as well! THAT ought to make OSHA proud!

Comment

With the battery lights with kits lasting such a long time now, I "dropped" the drop light a long time ago.

Use my Makita fluorescent 14.4V the most. Works great.

J.C.

Comment

I have a drop light does not get much use and it does have a cpf . I usually just use the led flash light. I ll have to remember that when the cpf burns out.

Comment

J.C., I do use my flashlights and swivel head worklight when possible, but when working on some things such as cars and trucks being able to hang the light and have it illuminate a certain area is very helpful.

For some reason my wife and daughters seem to remember car problems when it's dark outside.

Comment

J.C., I do use my flashlights and swivel head worklight when possible, but when working on some things such as cars and trucks being able to hang the light and have it illuminate a certain area is very helpful.

For some reason my wife and daughters seem to remember car problems when it's dark outside.
                  Mine hangs too!

J.C.
                  Attached Files

Comment

the cfl run a lot cooler and take a drop a lot better than a quartz tube or normal bulb.

i found that with the newer brighter leds, i rarely even use my cfl.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I'm still waiting for a good led drop light,tried a few just don't flood area with light like my flouresent drop does and it has an 110 outlet. I've got a few led flashlights that are great. under a house running the big tools I like to light ur up

wookie

Comment

HD has this 60 LED rechargeable work light.
                        http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

I have a corded fluorescent drop light that I have used for years. It has a flashlight lens on the end as well as the short fluorescent lamp on the side. It will fit just about anywhere a standard drop light with a incandescent lamp will as it the same length and it has a 120v power tap.
                        I think they are still available from auto parts houses and I have seen them in HD in the electrical section, but I could not find them looking online.

I agree that LEDs will become the preferred lighting technology in the future, they need to get costs down a bit more and the color temperature is what's holding it back right now. For general lighting (work lights, etc) no one really cares about the color cast of LEDs, but for reading, office lighting, or other uses color temperature is important.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have had this Fluorescent worklight which runs two 13 watt bulb for over 5 years. Never had an issue with it. http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fa...atalogId=10053

Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

that's similar to the one I have Ron but mine is round
                            and has a single lamp so probably not as bright but it
                            has been reliable.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I feel your pain! 10pm last night the wife tells me she thinks the passenger front turn signal is out.

Comment

Working...
                              X