Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Depot censors their tool reviews

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Home Depot censors their tool reviews

    I just tried to post my experience with some Ridgid R861150 cordless drills that i got at Home Depot that had a bad chuck wobble / run-out. I posted how i had to go through three before i got one with acceptable chuck wobble. I commented on how they were made in China and the quality control is apparently lacking. HD sends me an email that my review did not meet their standards to be posted. I posted that the customer service was great, but i guess you can only post a review that talks about how you love their merchandise and would recommend them to anybody. What a farce...
    Remember that if you are reading reviews of a tool on Homedepot.com, you might be only seeing the ones that are from satisfied purchasers, because it looks like they are refusing to post some that are critical of the product.
    Last edited by Joe from NY; 11-04-2010, 11:18 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Home Depot censors their tool reviews

    I've never heard of that. Generally, it is well known that censoring reviews will kill credibility. That said, I'd be curious to see your exact submission. If it look like a "made in China" rant that can get labeled as non-productive commentary. Feel free to post here or PM me if you like.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Home Depot censors their tool reviews

      Well that sounds like BS to me but maybe your review was a bit over the top? I mean, of course you were probably pissed when you wrote it, but if your review started to get off topic or something, maybe that's why they didn't want to post it up?
      Ideal Plumbing

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Home Depot censors their tool reviews

        I had a similar experience with Home Depot reviewing an industrial shelf unit. Here is the review that I submitted, which was rejected.

        Home Depot use to carry this same type of rack made by Whalen. Below are the differences between the two products. The Whalen rack metal thickness (all sections) is two notches greater (thicker) than the Edsal product. The Whalen rack has twice the number of lateral supports. The Whalen rack has twice the number of bars used for the grates. The Whalen rack has substantially thicker paint. The build quality of the Whalen rack is better in my opinion. At least the Whalen rack installs square without having to tweak it like the Edsal product. I don't know why Home Depot made the switch to Edsal for their industrial type rack but it wasn't to improve the product offering. At least the price didn't change for a lesser quality product. Is this the trend with Home Depot? I've noticed the same movement, especially with their tools.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Home Depot censors their tool reviews

          HD strikes again!

          They seem to keep shooting themselves in the foot.

          My local HD quietly advertises (you must ask for it) a veterans discount. They used to accept a copy of my DD214. Now they will accept military ID's and VA ID's. The VA requires way to much financial information just to have an ID and no benefits. Florida has a special veterans symbol on the state Drivers license, you must provide a DD214 or other acceptable proof of service to obtain a license with the symbol. HD does not accept this state ID as proof of service.Their competition down here accepts it without question.

          Guess where I now shop.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Home Depot censors their tool reviews

            i posted a real review of a faucet on lowes website after jumping through all the hoops to post and it too was rejected.

            i guess the ridgid forum is the only place we can post honest reviews without getting the cold shoulder.

            rick.
            phoebe it is

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Home Depot censors their tool reviews

              Originally posted by billmoy View Post
              HD strikes again!

              They seem to keep shooting themselves in the foot.

              My local HD quietly advertises (you must ask for it) a veterans discount. They used to accept a copy of my DD214. Now they will accept military ID's and VA ID's. The VA requires way to much financial information just to have an ID and no benefits. Florida has a special veterans symbol on the state Drivers license, you must provide a DD214 or other acceptable proof of service to obtain a license with the symbol. HD does not accept this state ID as proof of service.Their competition down here accepts it without question.

              Guess where I now shop.
              I have a buddy in Tampa and he had the same problem with HD, no problem with Lowes.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Home Depot censors their tool reviews

                Another 2 year old thread rises to the top.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Home Depot censors their tool reviews

                  Originally posted by billmoy View Post
                  HD strikes again!

                  They seem to keep shooting themselves in the foot.

                  My local HD quietly advertises (you must ask for it) a veterans discount. They used to accept a copy of my DD214. Now they will accept military ID's and VA ID's. The VA requires way to much financial information just to have an ID and no benefits. Florida has a special veterans symbol on the state Drivers license, you must provide a DD214 or other acceptable proof of service to obtain a license with the symbol. HD does not accept this state ID as proof of service.Their competition down here accepts it without question.

                  Guess where I now shop.
                  i have found the same to be true at my local HD. But across the street and down the road only a quarter mile is the competition and they are just the opposite. They know me well enough to say "you want the 10% military discount right?" To which I say "of course". They don't even ask me (those that know me there) for my ID. Or, if its someone I don't know and they spy my ID in may wallet when I go for my CC, they will ask to see it and give me the discount. So for any big purchase that Lowes carries and HD does too, I go with Lowes and get the discount. I have told a number of the orange aprons that they have lost a couple thousand dollars over the past 3 years because of this, adn that's just from me. So how much are they losing overall? Sorry but I'm not gonna beg for the discount. After being told a couple times 'no' I figure why forght to give them 90%, let them lose it all for being stupid.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Home Depot censors their tool reviews

                    hmm......

                    I just wrote a review on the R869B work light.
                    I was positive but also commented on some design limitations
                    and concerns.

                    Today Home Depot accepted it and it's posted.


                    Cactus Man

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Home Depot censors their tool reviews

                      [QUOTE=cactusman;387369]hmm......

                      I just wrote a review on the R869B work light.
                      I was positive but also commented on some design limitations
                      and concerns.

                      Today Home Depot accepted it and it's posted.


                      Sure, why wouldn't they post "positive" sugar coated comments.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Home Depot censors their tool reviews

                        I've done many reviews with very few ever being rejected. I find if you keep your review specific about any problems you have they will accept the problems as described.

                        Here is an example of a Delta Knife I just did the other day on the HD website. I don't see where this review is singing this tools praise yet it was accepted just fine.

                        "I purchased this as I've owned other knives before but this one looked pretty good. It took a few minutes to figure out how it worked, where the extra blades were stored etc. Personally I find it hard to change the blades, you need to press this little black button on the side as you pull the blade out or push a new one in and it always seems to hang up on one of the holding notches. Blade changes should only take a few seconds, when it hangs up I end up fiddling with it for 3 or 4 minutes which is a pain."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Home Depot censors their tool reviews

                          Originally posted by Supermanofsteel View Post
                          I've done many reviews with very few ever being rejected. I find if you keep your review specific about any problems you have they will accept the problems as described.

                          Here is an example of a Delta Knife I just did the other day on the HD website. I don't see where this review is singing this tools praise yet it was accepted just fine.

                          "I purchased this as I've owned other knives before but this one looked pretty good. It took a few minutes to figure out how it worked, where the extra blades were stored etc. Personally I find it hard to change the blades, you need to press this little black button on the side as you pull the blade out or push a new one in and it always seems to hang up on one of the holding notches. Blade changes should only take a few seconds, when it hangs up I end up fiddling with it for 3 or 4 minutes which is a pain."
                          The review virtually says nothing about the product other than your ability or inability to use it. As a prospective purchaser I want to read about how it's made, what type of materials used in its manufacture and overall quality or impression of it. Is there value in the product that would warrant my purchase or is there something else more worthy of my hard earned dollars. It seems to me that if a seller has a buyer feedback section it should be uncensored or not offered at all.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Home Depot censors their tool reviews

                            Originally posted by beeser View Post
                            The review virtually says nothing about the product other than your ability or inability to use it. As a prospective purchaser I want to read about how it's made, what type of materials used in its manufacture and overall quality or impression of it. Is there value in the product that would warrant my purchase or is there something else more worthy of my hard earned dollars. It seems to me that if a seller has a buyer feedback section it should be uncensored or not offered at all.
                            I think you are a bit confused, perhaps a little naive even as to the purpose and scope of a product review as found on a stores website.
                            Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                            hmm......
                            I just wrote a review on the R869B work light.
                            I was positive but also commented on some design limitations
                            and concerns.
                            Today Home Depot accepted it and it's posted.

                            Originally posted by beeser View Post
                            Sure, why wouldn't they post "positive" sugar coated comments.
                            Why do you feel it necessary to be so dismissive of the complete statement? He clearly states his review had some good and bad points in it yet you chose to get all inventive with your interpretation of his remarks and you tell him his remarks were approved because they were "sugar coated comments."

                            Originally posted by beeser View Post
                            I don't know why Home Depot made the switch to Edsal for their industrial type rack but it wasn't to improve the product offering. At least the price didn't change for a lesser quality product. Is this the trend with Home Depot? I've noticed the same movement, especially with their tools.


                            This was at the end of your review, do you seriously think Home Depot wants that rant on their website? Do you think that comment even meets your own criteria (as mentioned in your last post) of what you would like to see as a prospective purchaser?

                            Seriously, your review was all over the place, a little hostile and hardly relevant to the specific product at hand. In fact your review seemed more like a product comparison between two products (one of which HD no longer carries) instead of a stand alone review for Edsal Racks. Your review even included a negative question about HD and what you perceive to be a new trend for them. You then ended your product comparison with a generalized comment about the quality of HD's other products (power tools). Hate to tell you but imo that review was not rejected because HD was censoring you, they probably rejected you based on the likely hood that your comments didn't meet their criteria for a product review. Simple as that.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Home Depot censors their tool reviews

                              Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                              I've never heard of that. Generally, it is well known that censoring reviews will kill credibility. That said, I'd be curious to see your exact submission. If it look like a "made in China" rant that can get labeled as non-productive commentary. Feel free to post here or PM me if you like.

                              2012 now

                              Things have changed

                              News for JUDGE Orders yelp


                              New York Daily News


                              1. Judge Orders Yelp Reviewer Being Sued for $750000 to Reword Negative Comments

                                Geekosystem ‎- 15 hours ago
                                When will businesses learn that taking folks to court over negative commentary only ends badly for everyone involved? Apparently not anytime ...



                              1. Court Orders Yelp User To Change Review. Slippery Slope?

                                WebProNews‎ - by Chris Crum‎ - 1 day ago


                              2. Judge orders woman to tone down Yelp review as $750000 defamation suit heads to court

                                The Verge‎ - by Chris Welch‎ - 1 day ago

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X