• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeless?

Do you feel compelled to assist them?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Homeless?

If you insist on using the word "compelled" then no I don't.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

It certainly depends on the nature of why they are homeless. I'm against just providing for people unwilling to work towards better results.

I've spent a good amount of time working with youth centers and dealing with teenagers who have been kicked out of their homes. A society that rejects their own children is tough to accept.

Comment

Same as BTR.
        Depends...If she's good looking.
        oop's,did I say that outloud?

Comment

There was a time when my addictions had taken over....depending on how much money I had would decide what I would do with it.A 5 was cheap rum and smokes,10 now I had enough for a beer chaser,20 and we are talking drugs.....food was never even on the list.Been clean and sober awhile now.
          Once in awhile I'll give a guy a 5 but I know what it will be used for.

Comment

we re built a rescue mission and we were putting in bed rooms for the homeless to live as they worked .for the homeless that did not want to work they had a large bunk room that they could spend a couple nights after they took a drug test .
            so i believe in helping the homeless that want to help them self's.

there were some good people there that just fell on hard times and they just need a little help like your parents helped you out when you needed it
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
              we re built a rescue mission and we were putting in bed rooms for the homeless to live as they worked .for the homeless that did not want to work they had a large bunk room that they could spend a couple nights after they took a drug test .
              so i believe in helping the homeless that want to help them self's.

there were some good people there that just fell on hard times and they just need a little help like your parents helped you out when you needed it
              God Bless you for all your hard work and generosity.

Comment

Depends on the situation.
                My SIL called the other day hinting around that they are about to get kicked out yet again. She will get ZERO help from us. The hard part is her children. She often calls for milk, clothes, food or whatever. It really pi$$es me off when we show up with food for the kids and she has a full pack of smokes and her husband has an ice cold 40. I know exactly whats going on but I can't turn my back on the kids.

I have absolutely no sympathy for those that are not willing to help themselves.
                If one is able to hold a sign begging for food/money then they can easily hold a stop/slow sign and become a flagger.
                "will work for food" yeah right, I've asked several and they always decline the offer.

I have opened the doors to my home on a good number of occasions to help family/friends and will continue to do so as long as they are willing to help themselves.

My buddy and I ducked under a bridge one evening in Boston to sneak a beer. I found a bag containing soap, tooth paste, socks...etc. Obviously belonging to someone on the streets. The thing that got me the most though was, also in the bag was a job application. I left him a note and a $20.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Since this is what I do for a living I must feel compelled! I work with homeless single parents 18-24 with one child under 5. They are typically homeless because they emancipated from the foster care system, they got pregnant and were told to leave or there were too many people living under one roof. During their stay in our transitional housing program the parents either obtain their GED, High School diploma, or vocational training and/ or work while their children get childcare in our licensed on-site center. They move from our program into permanent housing as productive members of society.
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                    Since this is what I do for a living I must feel compelled! I work with homeless single parents 18-24 with one child under 5. They are typically homeless because they emancipated from the foster care system, they got pregnant and were told to leave or there were too many people living under one roof. During their stay in our transitional housing program the parents either obtain their GED, High School diploma, or vocational training and/ or work while their children get childcare in our licensed on-site center. They move from our program into permanent housing as productive members of society.

That is a wonderfull program but I'm curious how many really follow through and do become productive and how many wind up living off of you and I. It seems like so many young folks in these kinds of situations just become the dregs of society.
                    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                      That is a wonderfull program but I'm curious how many really follow through and do become productive and how many wind up living off of you and I. It seems like so many young folks in these kinds of situations just become the dregs of society.

I had to do plumbing work in a place like this, and we was told not to communicate with the women while working in their rooms, and they could not be in the room while we was working. Always in some type of meeting were we allowed in.

I was actually pretty decent looking at the time, tan and not hanging over my belly belt 3 feet.

Some big fat woman yelled out one day as they were all outside, "I gots to have me a tall man to take care of my babies!"

I neutral dropped that van and laid a black mark 60 feet. Got out of there quick before I became a casualty. The risks I take as a plumber are serious.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by jcsplumbing View Post
                        do you feel compelled to assist them?

Thanks.

J.c.
                        no

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Do you feel compelled to assist them?

Thanks.

J.C.
                          Do I feel compelled to help the homeless? The answer to that would be NO.

But I would rather help the homeless on my own, then have the government TELL ME I have too.

Comment

Working...
                          X