X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Induction?

Know there have been others that sucked. I'm thinking this one should work as they have more of a reputation at stake to damage. The future....

http://energizer.com/inductive/

J.C.

Re: Induction?

It seems cool and all but you have to use their special case with it and I doubt it's anywhere near as strong as the case I have on my phone. I'd love to be able to just set my phone down to charge it, but I'd like much more for my phone to stay functional if I accidentally drop it.
    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

They are little late to the game, PowerMat came out with this over a year ago (see my post), and Duracell who has just as big a reputation to uphold (like that ever meant anything to these guys) announced their version just a month or two ago.

Back in June of this year I posted about Bosch getting the jump on the competition with their mobile inductive changing setup.

Nice that Energizer decided to play, competition helps keep the price to consumers down to a reasonable level, but for this first Christmas season I suspect the price will remain on the high side and then the slashing will start on Jan 1st as they tear at each others throats to gain market share.

In the end it will be decided by who can get signed up with as many of the most popular end devices such as iPods, phones, etc so they can lock in the biggest user base.

Wouldn't it be great if you could buy a battery for your cordless power tool that has the inductive charging pad built right in to the bottom of the battery. Then you could just set the battery of the tool with the battery installed on the charging mat and walk away.

Seems very simple to implement. Just license the technology from PowerMat to incorporate the charging pad into your power tool batteries. It would seem to me that there would be little to change with respect to manufacturing the batteries if you add the inductive pad to the bottom of the battery. It would not interfere with normal charging nor with tool operation. The only drawback I can see right off is possibly a heat dissipation issue because of reduced surface area, If the battery relied on the bottom of the battery case for cooling to begin with. From what I have seen these pads appear to be light in weight so minimal impact on the user from fatigue or interfering with normal use.

Snoozers are loosers.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

doesn't my electric toothbrush already use an inductive charger in it's base?

not a mat but a base that is water proof. the toothbrush doesn't have exposed contacts.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

not a mat but a base that is water proof. the toothbrush doesn't have exposed contacts.

rick.

I don't know, I've never looked at your toothbrush!
          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
            I use a Sonicare toothbrush - is that what you have Rick? They've had inductive charging for a long time. The technology isn't new... it existed way long before the toothbrush people employed it. I see no reason why it shouldn't work fine, but I do wonder about how long it will take to fully charge a device. Hard to couple as much energy inductively as you can conduct through a wire.

A side benefit is that the itty bitty connectors on current phones sure seem fragile, and not big-finger friendly.

Comment

An additional benefit would be that you wouldn't need to buy a charger that is useless when you upgrade to another phone.

Good question on efficiency of inductive coupling. Is it worth the convenience I wonder.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
              X