Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olberman Busted?

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
    Why not bring it up? This thread needs to be a sole bashing of Olbermann? Would you prefer I start another thread on FOX New's lack of journalistic integrity? I can if you want? I apologize to JC if he thinks I'm shanghai'ing his thread but he did ask

Though it was after my own partisan Jab.

If you want to set the standard partisan jabs are unacceptable maybe you should stop being the first to throw them.
    First off, I'm not sure I'm smart enough to know what a "partisan jab" is. Sounds like a dance from the 20's.

I just didn't know what somebody else's policy was and thought you or someone else might.

Secondly, I'll throw whatever I want until moderation or banishment.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
      Oh there are some, I'm sure. There are those that think some of the Fox news yokels are just "telling it like it is".
      Kinda my point when it comes to false equivalence. Sure you may be able to find someone out there somewhere that claims Olbermann is unbiased. I personally can't find any. FOX New's on the other hand I can easily find people who claim FOX is unbiased, they are on FOX News. 'Fair and balanced' is their slogan.

Or are you then conceding that MSNBC puts biased journalists on the air, and in that sense are no better than Fox?
      Sure they do. Finding a journalist that is completely unbiased would be an impossible feat IMO. MSNBC pits limits on how biased their staff is allowed to be, which does in fact make them better then FOX News

I thought you didn't want to talk about FOX news?

Comment

Ought to be against the law to contribute to a campaign....

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          First off, I'm not sure I'm smart enough to know what a "partisan jab" is. Sounds like a dance from the 20's.

I just didn't know what somebody else's policy was and thought you or someone else might.

Secondly, I'll throw whatever I want until moderation or banishment.

J.C.
          Throw all you want. Any jab I've seen out of you hasn't been baseless or even unwarranted. You behave like one of the adults in the room. I welcome the workout.

Comment

Let's keep it civil Gentlemen.

Thanks-Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Sure they do. Finding a journalist that is completely unbiased would be an impossible feat IMO. MSNBC pits limits on how biased their staff is allowed to be, which does in fact make them better then FOX News
              So the "limits" they apply are a brief suspension. Wow they're strict. Did they send to his room, too?

I thought you didn't want to talk about FOX news?
              I never said that. I said that there was no point in bringing it up. Not the same thing. But now that you mention it, I do think this has gotten well past the point of any utility to anyone. Good evening to all.

Comment

Wouldn't/couldn't your personal political views and an extension of that your contributions to any party or candidate be considered part of your First Amendment rights?
                In Buckley v. Valeo (1976), the US Supreme Court ruled that spending money to influence elections is a form of constitutionally protected free speech.
                Is an employer legally allowed to tell an employee how they can spend their political contributions or even not at all as in this case? If that were so then EVERY employer across the country would be able to do the same, and WalMart with over 1,500,000 employees could surely influence elections. Or say an employer who in a small town employed a large percentage of the work force (mining town, steel mill, etc) could influence local elections in their favor to install people to office that favored their views. It could (and would) get out of hand quickly.

So I could see where a news organization could tell an employee that they could not make their personal views known or use their position in the news organization to further their views or to slant or otherwise affect an election or anyones view of a particular candidate I don't see how they can tell a person they can not make a contribution to any campaign or party.

However, IF it is legal for them to do so AND the employee has agreed to this as a condition of employment in writing as part of their employment contract or as company policy that they have previously been advised of and signed a statement that they received a written copy of the requirement, THEN I don't think they have much recourse but to abide by the terms of the contract that they knowingly entered into.
                Last edited by Bob D.; 11-09-2010, 06:35 AM.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Find me any news organization that isn't biased. They all are. Sure Olberman broke rules and IMHO is a pompus *** but that's pretty much par for the course these days. Fact is, there is no unbiased news, you need to read between the lines and lies and get to the bottom yourself. Keep in mind that pretty much everything has money at the root cause. Let Olberman back in the studio for gods sake, it's the only time his poor mother gets to see him.
                  sigpic

Comment

The thing I like about Fox is...I can get the Liberal and conservative view all on one channel.

If I want a distorted view...I would change to ABC or MSNBC.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      Wouldn't/couldn't your personal political views and an extension of that your contributions to any party or candidate be considered part of your First Amendment rights?
                      [INDENT]In Buckley v. Valeo (1976), the US Supreme Court ruled that spending money to influence elections is a form of constitutionally protected free speech.
                      Despite what an idiot's like Sarah Palin and Laura Schlessinger might tell you the first amendment only protects you from the government limiting your free speech. So unless the government is steps in and backs what your employer or your mom are prohibiting you from doing or saying you have no first amendment violation.

Is an employer legally allowed to tell an employee how they can spend their political contributions or even not at all as in this case?
                      Yes

If that were so then EVERY employer across the country would be able to do the same, and WalMart with over 1,500,000 employees could surely influence elections.
                      Because they can doesn't stop it from being a terrible idea. Americans in general won't stand for such policy's and a company like Walmart would find themselves short at least a few customers if they did so.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        The thing I like about Fox is...I can get the Liberal and conservative view all on one channel.

If I want a distorted view...I would change to ABC or MSNBC.
                        I have no idea what you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by flux View Post
                          the thing i like about fox is...i can get the liberal and conservative view all on one channel.

If i want a distorted view...i would change to abc or msnbc.
                          +1

Comment

Isn't it Chris Matthews from MSNBC that gets a thrill running up his leg when Obama speaks, no bias there huh. The reason MESSNBC has such crappy ratings is because they are so blatently biased that nobody believes a word they say. Suspending Olberman was and is a total joke. Olbermans show is not a news show, it's a news commentary show albiet a crappy news commentary show.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              The reason MESSNBC has such crappy ratings is because they are so blatently biased that nobody believes a word they say.
                              I can't follow that logic. FOX News is blatantly biased and they report things that are untrue but their ratings are very good. Obviously people aren't using believability as the most important factor in their news choices.

FOX news certainly has a better business strategy the MSNBC. They know what people want and deliver.

They know people want campaign coverage, in a brilliant move they cut out having those reporters as middlemen, they simply hired the candidates themselves!

If ratings where the determining factor in how reliable a news source was American Idol would be number one in news, sadly however that might just be where most Americans get their news.

Olbermans show is not a news show, it's a news commentary show albiet a crappy news commentary show.
                              I agree with you there.

Comment

though at times it's difficult to do, one must separate pure news programs ( good luck finding one of those ) from news commentary shows. and yes, Fox has plenty of news commentary shows also.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X