Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olberman Busted?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Olberman Busted?

    What does this mean? Can he really offer an unbiased opinion?

    Keith Olbermann hates Rand Paul so much that he violated NBC’s ethics policies and donated $2400 to Paul’s opponent – Jack Conway.

    From Politico:

    MSNBC host Keith Olbermann made campaign contributions to two Arizona members of Congress and failed Kentucky Senate candidate Jack Conway ahead of Tuesday’s election — a potential violation of NBC’s ethics policies.

    NBC has a rule against employees contributing to political campaigns, and a wide range of news organizations prohibit political contributions – considering it a breach of journalistic independence to contribute to the candidates they cover.



    J.C.

  • #2
    Re: Olberman Busted?

    Damn JC you start more forest fires than a disgruntled unpaid immigrant in california!

    You go girl!


    I'd say he'll be on CNN before the end of the month, or ESPN.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Olberman Busted?

      Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      What does this mean? Can he really offer an unbiased opinion?

      Keith Olbermann hates Rand Paul so much that he violated NBC’s ethics policies and donated $2400 to Paul’s opponent – Jack Conway.

      From Politico:

      MSNBC host Keith Olbermann made campaign contributions to two Arizona members of Congress and failed Kentucky Senate candidate Jack Conway ahead of Tuesday’s election — a potential violation of NBC’s ethics policies.

      NBC has a rule against employees contributing to political campaigns, and a wide range of news organizations prohibit political contributions – considering it a breach of journalistic independence to contribute to the candidates they cover.



      J.C.
      Cue the Liberal spin job in 3 - 2 - 1....

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Olberman Busted?

        Which one of the three people that watch MSNBC ratted him out Personally I was happy hearing that a liberal finally threw his own money away for a change rather than mine
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Olberman Busted?

          He's back on the air Tuesday.

          There is no spin here he clearly violated MSNBC's policy. They demanded he apologize. He refused. They suspended him.

          So the end result is MSNBC has a policy about their staff donating to political campaigns and enforces it.

          Want to compare that to FOX New's policy?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Olberman Busted?

            Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
            He's back on the air Tuesday.

            There is no spin here he clearly violated MSNBC's policy. They demanded he apologize. He refused. They suspended him.

            So the end result is MSNBC has a policy about their staff donating to political campaigns and enforces it.

            Want to compare that to FOX New's policy?
            Sure! What's there policy?


            J.C.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Olberman Busted?

              Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Sure! What's there policy?


              J.C.
              I'm gona go out on a limb here and say they have no such policy. If they do they certainly don't enforce it.

              http://www.salon.com/news/politics/w...nnity_donation

              http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201010200008

              http://www.cleveland.com/naymik/inde...didate_jo.html

              http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200910140013

              http://www.wave3.com/story/13169180/...sic-convention

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Olberman Busted?

                He broke the rules of his employer. He got busted. What connection or relevance does any of this have to Fox News?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Olberman Busted?

                  Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                  He broke the rules of his employer. He got busted. What connection or relevance does any of this have to Fox News?
                  I'm not sure if you've been reading along here but it has little to do with FOX news.

                  MSNBC has a policy that almost all reputable journalistic organizations have. They enforce it. Many argue that FOX and MSNBC are simple opposite sides of a coin and I'm taking the time with this story to illustrate that is a false equivalence. This is an instance where one is very much unlike the other.

                  Personally I would have preferred Olbermann be suspended permanently as I think the level of journalism he offers is minimal.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Olberman Busted?

                    Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
                    I'm not sure if you've been reading along here but it has little to do with FOX news.
                    If it has little to do with Fox news, then why bring them into the equation in the first place?

                    Quite the Liberal way eh?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Olberman Busted?

                      Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
                      I'm not sure if you've been reading along here but it has little to do with FOX news.

                      MSNBC has a policy that almost all reputable journalistic organizations have. They enforce it. Many argue that FOX and MSNBC are simple opposite sides of a coin and I'm taking the time with this story to illustrate that is a false equivalence. This is an instance where one is very much unlike the other.

                      Personally I would have preferred Olbermann be suspended permanently as I think the level of journalism he offers is minimal.
                      Yes, I have read along. Have you?

                      The question was, "Can he really offer an unbiased opinion"?

                      It's clear that the answer to this question has nothing to do with Fox News. That was the point of my comment. You brought up Fox News, out of the blue. Their policy or lack of policy has nothing to do with Olbermann and his potential biases.

                      If your point is that MSNBC has journalistic integrity and Fox doesn't because Fox doesn't have such a policy, that's your opinion but it isn't a very good argument. Fact is, Olbermann received, by your own admission, essentially a slap on the wrist. Does that token slap give MSNBC the higher journalistic or ethical ground? Sorry, I don't see it. A few day's suspension doesn't confer any particularly superior level of journalistic integrity on them... if that's your argument, you need a better one.

                      BTW, I am very conservative, yet have no use for Fox News. I find them to be biased and unreliable. MSNBC doesn't have what I view as the unprofessional presentation demeanor of Fox, but they aren't more reliable IMO.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Olberman Busted?

                        Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        If it has little to do with Fox news, then why bring them into the equation in the first place?

                        Quite the Liberal way eh?
                        Why not bring it up? This thread needs to be a sole bashing of Olbermann? Would you prefer I start another thread on FOX New's lack of journalistic integrity? I can if you want? I apologize to JC if he thinks I'm shanghai'ing his thread but he did ask

                        Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
                        Sure! What's there policy?
                        Though it was after my own partisan Jab.

                        If you want to set the standard partisan jabs are unacceptable maybe you should stop being the first to throw them.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Olberman Busted?

                          Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
                          If you want to set the standard partisan jabs are unacceptable maybe you should stop being the first to throw them.
                          Partisan jabs are fine in political debate.

                          But dragging Fox into it was pointless. Unless a diversionary tactic was the aim.

                          Getting back to the point of the thread, I don't see how Olbermann can be unbiased if his feelings run so deep as to compel him to violate his employer's policy.

                          But then again I never thought he was unbiased in the first place, based on his commentary alone.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Olberman Busted?

                            I don't think there is anyone in the country that claims Olbermann is unbiased. Unless you can find one wouldn't the whole premise of the thread be kinda pointless?
                            Last edited by boytyperanma; 11-08-2010, 11:47 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Olberman Busted?

                              Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
                              I don't think there is anyone in the country that claims Olbermann is unbiased. Unless you can find one wouldn't the whole premise of the thread be kinda pointless?
                              Oh there are some, I'm sure. There are those that think some of the Fox news yokels are just "telling it like it is".

                              Or are you then conceding that MSNBC puts biased journalists on the air, and in that sense are no better than Fox?

                              In which case your argument about MSNBC having policies consistent with reputable journalism are, what... "kinda pointless?"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X