X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• better business bureau fraud

watch tonight on abc tv 20/20 how they expose the better business bureau money for grades scheme. something i've posted about over and over for years how they call and attempt to solicit money from me with bogus inquires.

the connecticut attorney general is investigating them now.

i'm glad to see that they are finally getting the press and exposure they deserve

even wolfgang puck came forward to say he's not paying the money and therefore he got an "F"

an antique hardware store just a couple miles from me is taped live on the phone and goes from a "C" grade to an "A" grade overnight when she pays the $395.00 they're asking.

even a made up hamas group is give an "A-" by paying for a membership.

here's a link to the story. http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/busine...ry?id=12123843

i knew it, others knew it, now america will see the truth behind the better business bureau.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: better business bureau fraud

I heard it on the news this morning. I agree, it's about time.

Maybe Angies list will be next to get their t*t in the ringer.
    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Out here there are lots of guys that are not accredited (do not pay the BBB) That have A+ ratings. The rating system is not about membership. There is lots of variables involved. I bet the companies that had F ratings that became members finally met the variables needed to raise the grade. For example a valid address, valid contacts within the company.

Here is a link of how their rating scale works. http://www.bbb.org/business-reviews/.../overview.html
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

ron, i bet you'll differently if you watch the segment tonight.

even follow the link i posted and you'll read what they already gave a tease about.

i know it first hand from numerous unsolicited phone calls from them looking for money to join. saying they had potential customers of mine inquiring about my company

you and i know all my work is referral. i don't advertise and i don't have a website. i'm not even listed good or bad on the bbb.

wait and watch tonight. you'll be surprised at what they exposed.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

saying they had potential customers of mine inquiring about my company
          I used to get the same bologna from them and I advertise very lightly. I told them to never call again and it must have worked. I am listed with them. One complaint that they show which we resolved and I have an A rating.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I hired a contractor for a project where he was repiping some where in the neighborhood of 720 condos. In their 20-years of business they had probably repiped over 25,000 homes. Based on 7-complaints (.028% of jobs completed) the BBB gave them an "F" grade. I hired them anyways and they did a great job.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

This year was the first year in 8 years that I did not pay a membership to the BBB. I did that solely based on being broke, completely broke constantly.

I recently checked my rating, it's an A-.

Every so often I get people that reference that rating before calling, and it's not because I've given them a straight shot to their website to check me.

They are either calling for a report or they are looking it up, either using one of my front page links or outside of that as a protective measure of safeguarding their planned purchase.

It's going to be hard for me to knock something that still to this day, lines my pockets, explains to others that I'm worth spending money on.

Has my record of serving customers in my community as flawless as the report indicates?

I'd be lying to you if it was. The reality is there is no possible way to keep everyone happy. Impossible.

That rating proves I handled any situation that arose in a difference of opinion on any measure across the spectrum with keeping the threat of embedding a 3rd party. I'm thankful for that.

I don't always look to the BBB for other service providers for myself, but the times I've ventured around, thinking of companies that "could" be known for bad service?

Their reports not only indicated that, but proved it.

Have to remember that bad can come of any good design.

Do I believe the BBB is up to something fishy? YES.

I think they want a share of the profits that Angie's List is now making from that similar format.

I won't be renewing my membership because I saw how I managed without. I really don't have money to spend on anything but what's first priority, and that's getting my 3 co.'s all self supporting before I spend casually in that fashion.

For my other 2 companies? I won't bother; I'm the only guy doing both in my 5 state range and I highly doubt anyone would ever look to that as a reference before considering a purchase.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Thanks for bringing to everyones attention. Now I see what you've been talking about. Fortunately I'm in an area where word of mouth means more than the BBB. Most people do not check or give the BBB's opinion much authority vs. a friend, co-worker, or family member.

J.C.

Comment

I watched the tail end of the segment. They brought up great points.

Someone needs to do a grab on that, get that youtube so it lasts FO-EV-AH.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Every year the BBB takes out a full page ad in the major papers around here and they will list your company if you are accredited. Also having the logo in our ads back in the day carried some weight. People would tell me we called you over the other guys because you are a member of the BBB.

Now they have the grade system, and I can tell you I landed many jobs where the customer told me I was a few hindered bucks more than the other guys they called but because my grade with the BBB is so good they went with us. I do have to call them their website says we have been a member since 1988, some how when they updated the information it got changed to that from 1985. We been very happy with the added calls the BBB brings to us.

We also get a lot of word to mouth areas too, and the BBB rating plays a factor there too. There is this one town everyone knows each other and they will call a neighbor or two to find out what plumber they where using and call that guy. They never look to the yellow pages or any other advertising. One of them had a bad experience with the plumber they all had been using, called the BBB to find out this company had many unresolved complaints. So one of them knew our company from us doing work at their place of work, looked us up on the BBB, and we been doing the plumbing and drain cleaning in this town for the last 20 years.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

just finished watching the 10 minute segment. from my personal experience 20/20 exposed them for what they are. nothing more than a shakedown to generate revenue for a supposedly non profit company.

of course the highest paid executive is based out of los angeles making $400,000 plus a year. guess what he got $0.00 from me and i told him that i was going to file a complaint if he ever called me again.

the ceo of the bbb even cut short his 1 hour interview with brian ross as he was getting grilled by all the video they presented to him.

looks like the bbb is just as crooked as some of the companies they are suppose to be protecting the pubic from.

remember i'm the little guy that hasn't spent a dime advertising in 35 years. yet they feel they need to constantly call me looking for a payday and making up stories about my potential customers inquiring about my company. amazing that others in my same situation had the same stories to share about themselves too.

sorry to break it to you, but the bbb is a scam and they just got their 15 minutes of fame

but then again bad publicity is better than no publicity

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Maybe I should start a SBRB.

Small Business' Rating Bureau.

Then we could have the BBB on our website with an F rating and call them for $$$$ to get it changed to an A.

Always beware of "non-profit" organizations with highly paid employees.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Maybe I should start a SBRB.

Small Business' Rating Bureau.

Then we could have the BBB on our website with an F rating and call them for $$$$ to get it changed to an A.

Always beware of "non-profit" organizations with highly paid employees.

J.C.
                          I'll represent you in LA County.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by plumber rick View Post
                            looks like the bbb is just as crooked as some of the companies they are suppose to be protecting the pubic from.

Rick.
                            :dlmao

Comment

YIKES !!

NOW THE BBB can't be trusted?

Isn't that kind of weird that the "Better Business Bureau" is being accused of bad business?

OMG - What's next........

Comment

Working...
                              X