Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard Times?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Hard Times?

    Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    Flux, I don't have to travel that far to find lazy bums got'em right here in my town. I still don't think there are 200,000 unemployed lazy bums in NY.
    Those folks were working until the jobs were lost and I'll bet mostly through no fault of their ownI'm in my late fifties so I don't know first hand of hard times although I had very little extras growing up. I was blessed to have parents that cared a place to live, food and clothing. All the electronic junk kids have nowadays does not make for a better childhood or better people.
    My wife and I bought a car for both our daughters when they were in senior year of h.s., no one ever bought me a car!

    Lazy people aside, our country needs to make up for the millions of jobs that up and left. Where and when will those jobs materialize, folks want to work, folks need to work. I don't want to pay for lazy people out of work, or hard working Americans our of work. The talking needs to stop, our elected officials need to fix the problems. Secure our borders and bring back jobs through agressive legislation and a political system working together for the good of the country, not the party!

    Your car comment made me think. I gave cars to all three of my daughters but made my three sons buy their own. I guess the difference was I wanted my daughters to be safe where I wanted my sons to know how to work on cars. I ended up with six great kids but my daughters only know how to start the car. I wonder now if I helped them or hurt them.

    Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Hard Times?

      Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      Your car comment made me think. I gave cars to all three of my daughters but made my three sons buy their own. I guess the difference was I wanted my daughters to be safe where I wanted my sons to know how to work on cars. I ended up with six great kids but my daughters only know how to start the car. I wonder now if I helped them or hurt them.

      Mark
      My parents gave me their old cars (first a Taurus wagon, then an Escort), so in effect they bought me a car. My wife's parents did the same thing (a Sentra). They did buy my sister a new car (Escort). I didn't pay for the car itself, but did pay for insurance, gas, and repairs once I graduated high school [I paid for gas all along]. I don't think I'm worse off for it.

      I will however say that I can't convince my wife to learn how to change a tire, and it is quite frustrating that she won't even learn one of the most basic things and would prefer to come be rescued.

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Hard Times?

        Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
        Once in the workforce, we worked. A lot. I once went 4 months with one day off. How many people today would do that? Would you?
        I did that plenty while in grad school. There is no way I would do it now. I've never talked to someone who's said, "Gee, I wish I worked more."; but have heard plenty of people say "Kids grow up fast." or "Enjoy them while they're young."

        I can't tell you how many weeks my time sheet showed over 100 hours, but I can tell you that my all time high was 118 hours. Again, paid for 40. I certainly wasn't alone in this.
        I work anywhere from 45-55 hours a week, though have occasionally (only 4-5 times a year hit sixty). And I don't come in on Saturdays or Sundays (though generally work in the evenings). There is always a deadline, and I already work pretty hard. Burning out isn't useful, and neither is spending so little time with my family that my wife leaves me.

        Working 17 hours a day for 7 days a week (118 hours) is not going to affect what I'm paid in any year more than 10% compared to if I worked 45. The only thing my company owes me is the pay for the months that I work, the only thing I owe them is the 40 hours a week and to not work in the same industry for anyone else. As soon as I'm not useful they'll lay me off and hire someone else in China or India.

        Jobs for life are a thing of the past, and the only way for a company to show appreciation is by cutting a check.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Hard Times?

          I remember learning years ago that in order to earn a drivers license in africa, you had to be able to do mechanical repairs, wheter you were a man or woman. We have AAA for those mechanically challenged and unless you are talking about a flat tire there's not much folks can do out on the road.

          I've repaired a broken heater hose, and some simple stuff like that on the road but it's not like it was years ago. Mark, I would push a son to know more about cars and car repair. Call me sexist! I wanted my daughters to know how to drive so I paid for driving lessons. I believe women are all for equal rights until they want to be rescued, then they are just helpless little girls. I apologize in advance for offending any women reading this.

          WARNING. video contains strong language!!!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OvvgPwGZOU
          Last edited by Frankiarmz; 11-13-2010, 04:01 PM.

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Hard Times?

            Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
            I will agree that young people today face an uncertain future. IT's definitely beocoming tougher. That's what happens when you have irresponsible policies and a population that wants to have everything but make nothing. A population that enjoys cheap imports and then wonders why we suffer with inflation and ever-fewer good-paying jobs.

            There are many aspects of your post that are disturbing. First of all, you obviously didn't live through "my" generation, so you really have no idea what it was about. It's true that saving interest rates were higher, education was more affordable and that the dollar bought more. No argument there. But - and I was there - it wasn't all sweetness and light.

            Home interest rates in the 1970s were 12-16%. You figure out what the impact on payments are. We needed 20% down, minimum - there was no such thing as a "3% down" loan. My condo payment in 1980 was a far larger percentage of my income then that my house payment is today.

            I can't speak to every occupation, but I was in engineering working on defense contracts. No one worked a 40 hour week - the average was 50-60 hours and often more. We were paid for 40 - salaried workers. But lest you think we made up for it with a huge salary, my first engineering job in 1978 after I graduated - paid a whopping $9 per hour. And that was pretty decent. My weekend job in college as an auto mechanic paid $8.81. An engineering degree from a prestigious University garnered an increase of 19 cents an hour.

            Once in the workforce, we worked. A lot. I once went 4 months with one day off. How many people today would do that? Would you? I can't tell you how many weeks my time sheet showed over 100 hours, but I can tell you that my all time high was 118 hours. Again, paid for 40. I certainly wasn't alone in this. Before getting into consulting I owned a business and before that I was a director in one of the corporations that you loathe... there were many people that we couldn't get to come in on a Saturday or stay late to meet a deadline even at time-and-a-half. And it was especially true of the youngsters. At 5 o'clock the pencil drops and they sprint to the parking lot.

            Today, people have to have Lexus and BMW and granite countertops and $150 designer bluejeans. In the day, we had used Fords and formica and Levis. We ate out twice a month, not twice a week. Even in offices, the majority brown bagged it - going out for lunch was a special occasion.

            I worked two jobs to get through college. One during the week and one on the weekends. I drove a used car that ran on parts I picked out of the junkyard, and tires that were showing cord. I bought that cheap gas you refer to one or two gallons at a time because that was all I could scrape up. And that was the deal for the majority back then.

            Today, most of my contemporaries' children have cars that Daddy bought for them. Daddy foots all or most of the $15-40k per year college tuition. American kids go to college - in large numbers. But they don't study the tough subjects like math and physics and engineering. They leave those for the Indian and Chinese kids. Yes, if you study sociology or history or political science, you are going to end up working in retail as a clerk. That is not MY generation's fault. We put men on the moon, we created a defense system that kept our enemies from destroying us from the mid 1940's until that B movie actor you denigrate put the enemy out of business. We invented the technology in virtually everything that you enjoy today. We gave it all to YOU. What have you done with it?

            The point of your post that I desagree with most violently is your seeming defense of having to "cheat, lie and steal to get ahead". That statement of your speaks volumes. There is no justification for lack of personal integrity in any circumstance. That attitude of a lack of integrity - the willingness to lie cheat and steal in Government and and the financial sector is responsible for the problems we ALL face today. Not the hard work of your parent's generation.

            Think what you like. IMO, the current generation was given a lot of advantages. Yes you do face some challenges. You can try to lie cheat and steal to get ahead, as you seem to defend... or you can man-up and try to drive the future, not expect that anyone owes you anything, and stop whining about how your parent's generation, who gave you everything, screwed you.

            Mortgage rates didn't hit 12% until the 80's.

            http://mortgage.lovetoknow.com/Historic_Mortgage_Rates

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Hard Times?

              Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
              I don't understand your comment. The Great Depression started in 1930 and ended in 1941. People aged 50 were born in 1960, and other than Viet Nam, the 60s were actually a pretty good time to be a kid.
              The 70's were better for me. I grew tired of the potted meat sandwiches and a banana for lunch.

              We didn't have a pot to piss in, or a window to throw it out of in the 60's.

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Hard Times?

                Originally posted by Flux View Post
                People 50 years an older would have a better understanding of what their parents went through, as opposed to those that are younger and have no idea.

                My grandfather was born in 1910 and passed away in 1996, and he use to tell me stories about the great depression.

                I'm not sure how many 80+ people we have on this forum to tell us young bucks that we have no idea how hard times can be.
                I'm not 80+, but I am pushing 79. I grew up in the Depression (there was nothing Great about it) I could write a book about the tough times we went through, but that wouldn't make things any better now. I have only one comment for this thread. I hear (read) a lot of people complaining, but I don't see a whole lot of answers. If you are just going to write about the problems, write to your Congressman etc. Otherwise, get active yourself and make changes happen. We did.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Hard Times?

                  Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                  I'm not 80+, but I am pushing 79. I grew up in the Depression (there was nothing Great about it) I could write a book about the tough times we went through, but that wouldn't make things any better now. I have only one comment for this thread. I hear (read) a lot of people complaining, but I don't see a whole lot of answers. If you are just going to write about the problems, write to your Congressman etc. Otherwise, get active yourself and make changes happen. We did.
                  I do have answers, they just so happen to have laws against them for some reason. Let's just say it involves firearms and unreasonable amounts of high yield explosives. Targeting recently installed 30 million taxdollar traffic monitoring camera systems along an unpaved (And awaiting to be repaved) highway is a good place to start.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Hard Times?

                    Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                    I'm not 80+, but I am pushing 79. I grew up in the Depression (there was nothing Great about it) I could write a book about the tough times we went through, but that wouldn't make things any better now. I have only one comment for this thread. I hear (read) a lot of people complaining, but I don't see a whole lot of answers. If you are just going to write about the problems, write to your Congressman etc. Otherwise, get active yourself and make changes happen. We did.
                    In my opinion if folks only discussed things they had answers for, not much would get done. Fixing things is a process of opinions, answers and action. I have written my elected officials, I have written letters to my newspaper. I think I have some ideas, but I pose these threads on The Forum to get feedback from folks who don't necessarily agree with me. What's the harm? Should we only post threads where everyone agrees? Sounds sort of boring and pointless.

                    Kid, I have a feeling the changes your generation helped bring about took place at a time when elected officials cared about the folks who elected them and our country. Seems we can't catch a break no matter who is in charge. What would you suggest to make our elected officials listen, stop working for the lobbyists and pushing party agenda? I aslo write partly out of frustration and concern, it does bother me that so many folks are facing what could be hard times. Share some of your thoughts, I want to listen and learn, not just hear myself talk.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Hard Times?

                      Tough times build character. (That's why us older folk are usually referred to as "characters").

                      Just remember those words of optimism that have inspired people for years in times like this:

                      1. Things look darkest.....(just before they go totally black!)

                      2. Those who laugh in the face of mortal adversity...(end up in rigor mortis).

                      3. You can take away my house, my car, and all my worldly possessions, but you can never take away my....(Visa card bill).

                      Go
                      Practicing at practical wood working

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Hard Times?

                        Originally posted by cpw View Post
                        My parents gave me their old cars (first a Taurus wagon, then an Escort), so in effect they bought me a car. My wife's parents did the same thing (a Sentra). They did buy my sister a new car (Escort). I didn't pay for the car itself, but did pay for insurance, gas, and repairs once I graduated high school [I paid for gas all along]. I don't think I'm worse off for it.

                        I will however say that I can't convince my wife to learn how to change a tire, and it is quite frustrating that she won't even learn one of the most basic things and would prefer to come be rescued.
                        I guess my parents kind of gave me a car too. I had saved a little over $500 back in 69 to buy my first car. My parents needed to borrow the money so I got their 6-cylinder Biscayne instead. It was not quite the cool car I wanted but I took one for the team.

                        Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Hard Times?

                          The great depression kicked out a lot of very intelligent money managers.


                          They think first, then spend and rarely spend when they don't have the money.

                          That is the huge problem in America; always spending our future earnings.

                          I'm a heavy part of that equation; anything I make, even if it is 10 grand...it's gone before it reaches my hands.

                          This is partly why I drink a gallon of Nyquil every night before bedtime, along with sayin' the lord's prayer.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Hard Times?

                            Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                            I do have answers, they just so happen to have laws against them for some reason. Let's just say it involves firearms and unreasonable amounts of high yield explosives. Targeting recently installed 30 million taxdollar traffic monitoring camera systems along an unpaved (And awaiting to be repaved) highway is a good place to start.
                            Well, I have to agree that would make changes happen, but I rather doubt that the final outcome would be to your liking.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Hard Times?

                              Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              I guess my parents kind of gave me a car too. I had saved a little over $500 back in 69 to buy my first car. My parents needed to borrow the money so I got their 6-cylinder Biscayne instead. It was not quite the cool car I wanted but I took one for the team.

                              Mark
                              I ended up with well used early 60's Rambler classic, I do not remember the exact year, close to the picture below, Not exactly what I dreamed of either,
                              Attached Files
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Hard Times?

                                Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                                In my opinion if folks only discussed things they had answers for, not much would get done. Fixing things is a process of opinions, answers and action. I have written my elected officials, I have written letters to my newspaper. I think I have some ideas, but I pose these threads on The Forum to get feedback from folks who don't necessarily agree with me. What's the harm? Should we only post threads where everyone agrees? Sounds sort of boring and pointless.

                                Kid, I have a feeling the changes your generation helped bring about took place at a time when elected officials cared about the folks who elected them and our country. Seems we can't catch a break no matter who is in charge. What would you suggest to make our elected officials listen, stop working for the lobbyists and pushing party agenda? I aslo write partly out of frustration and concern, it does bother me that so many folks are facing what could be hard times. Share some of your thoughts, I want to listen and learn, not just hear myself talk.
                                No, I don't think we should post only things that everyone agrees on. If we did, I would only have read about six posts in the years I have been on this forum. I do believe that the political climate can be changed by getting actively involved. I do not live in the area I grew up in (200 miles from it), but every school board member(where I now live) knows me by first name (and I haven't had kids in K-12 schools in over 30 years), my town board members all know me well, and so does my county commissioner. Simply speaking, I get involved. Sometimes I am agreed with and sometimes not, but in every case they know how I feel and that someone is looking over their shoulder. I might add that I was a mayor for 8 years and I know the effect that concerned citizens can have. Remember, just a few snowflakes can start an avalanche.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X