Comment

Re: Do you remember when

Mercurochrome for cuts
      Shooting marbles
      Flying kites right in front of the house
      The milk man (with bottled milk)
      The bread and pastry truck
      The good humor man (ice cream truck)
      Need money for candy, no problem, just scrounge some soda pop bottles and return them to the store for $$$.
      Football and baseball (or wiffle ball) right on the street (who needs grass?)
      And, pick up games w/o adults
      Goin' to the double feature on Saturday morning, with lines around the block
      Riding 7 miles round trip with a buddy to see a college football game

Comment

A single brass cold water spiket over the kitchen sink was the only running water in the house.

A two seater outhouse because my Dad thought it was funny. (I still have the metal Pabst Blue Ribbon beer sign that he snagged from some bar that was up high on a shelf in the outhouse).

My brother and I hand digging a 8' x 8' x 10' deep hole for a septic tank with a pick, a bar and a shovel.

Building a septic tank with river rock and cement that was all hand mixed in a wheel barrow and was still under construction when we left home.

A wood stove in the kitchen for cooking, a wood stove in the front room for heating, no insulation in the walls and a 4' x 8' sheet of asbestos attached to the wall behind the wood stove.

A propane stove and wall heater that were never used becuase of the price of propane unless Mom insisted.

Paying an old grizzled desert women $10.00 to haul in our water 1000 gallons at a time to be stored in our old concrete cistern and pumped with an electric pump to the cold water spiket in the kitchen and the two out back for watering the animals.

My brother and I getting up in the morning, making our beds, feeding and watering the animals before we went to school.

Changing out of our school clothes when we got home from school and feeding and watering the animals then doing our homework.

Gun racks on the walls in my Fathers bedroom and a gun rack on the wall in my brother's and my room that actually held rifles and shotguns.

Putting on our hunting vest with some 12-gauge shells that were always in it, heading out the back door and seeing the dogs start jumping around and spinning in circles from the excitement when they saw me carrying a shotgun and wearing my hunting vest and they knew it was time to start walking and hunting.

The thought of taking a gun to do anything but hunt never crossed our minds becuase our Dad taught us that we would never forget what he would do to us if we handled a firearm in any way other then how he taught us.

Working, raising animals, going to school, hunting and fishing were the only activities.

Not knowing how good I had it and what a wonderful job my Father did as a parent until about 15 years ago.

Knowing that my Father is the person that I have respected most out of everyone I have ever met or read about.

----------------------

What a wonderful post for bringing back all of these memories. Thank you for posting this sir.
        Last edited by Abbott; 11-14-2010, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Hey tool, remember when the Mayflower landed and you helped tie off the rope?

J.C.
          As a matter of fact I have seen plymouth Rock. Lived about 40 miles from that spot ! NEXT !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

June 1962 ,stepped off the train at Yemassie South Carolina , from
            Boston. For the 1 st time I saw two signs that shocked Me. One a water fountain, other a Men's room at the train station" Whites only "
            Then the Marine D I'S starting SCREAMING at Us. On to Parris Island Boot Camp
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
              Mercurochrome for cuts
              Shooting marbles
              Flying kites right in front of the house
              The milk man (with bottled milk)
              The bread and pastry truck
              The good humor man (ice cream truck)
              Need money for candy, no problem, just scrounge some soda pop bottles and return them to the store for $$$.
              Football and baseball (or wiffle ball) right on the street (who needs grass?)
              And, pick up games w/o adults
              Goin' to the double feature on Saturday morning, with lines around the block
              Riding 7 miles round trip with a buddy to see a college football game
              that was Us in Boston born 1943. And getting chunks of ice to suck on from the milk Man in the summer

Comment

BREAKING STREET LITES WITH ROCKS AND RUNNING LIKE HELL!
                Yes, I'm still that KRAZY !!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  June 1962 ,stepped off the train at Yemassie South Carolina , from
                  Boston. For the 1 st time I saw two signs that shocked Me. One a water fountain, other a Men's room at the train station" Whites only "
                  Then the Marine D I'S starting SCREAMING at Us. On to Parris Island Boot Camp
                  Spent a pleasant few days last month in Beauford, SC., stopping between Savannah and Charleston. Tried to get on base (Parris Is.) but was turned back.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    that was Us in Boston born 1943. And getting chunks of ice to suck on from the milk Man in the summer
                    In CA the milkman didn't have ice, he used dry ice to keep things cold.

Comment

Remember when:

The Sunday afternoon treat was a "drive" with your parents, when everybody in the car was singing and maybe, if we had been good, we'd stop that evening at the "drive-in" to get ice-cream. There's be cars everywhere, parked under those "yellow" lights that weren't supposed to attract bugs... but they did.

Or drive-in movies, always a double-feature with cartoon filled intermissions. There was also those little films where a character of sorts flashed around the big screen and all the fathers would chase the image with thier "spotlights".

Spotlights, with the big twist handle for the driver seemed to be on every car, along with those big steel "Visors" that stuck out over the windshield like the bill on a baseball cap.

Baby moons, fender skirts, continental kits, suicide knobs!

Those asbestos milk boxes out on the front porch, with delivered milk bottles, with the cream rising to the top, and during the winter oozing in long frozen "tubes" above the bottle necks.

I had a country "paper route", five miles long. No street lights to hide the winter night sky. How I miss that; just me and my beagle out there doing our delivery.

The smell of freshly cut wood, sliced by your own hand with a sharp axe. The smell of grandma's bread coming out of the old woodoven, or those wonderful oatmeal cookies, with the walnuts and raisens.

Or getting to lick the bowl, after she poored the contents into the baking pan, for tonight's desert.

When 25 cents, took you to the Saturday matinee, with two movies and cartoons and you're father knowing that you'd be safe and he'd be back in to pick you up when the movie was over. (I never could quite understand what Mom and Dad were up to, when I was at the movies.)

Freely roaming those rolling hills and finding new adventures wherever my feet took me. Discoveries some rock formation, or grove, or long abandoned stone foundation way back in the forest. The weather never bothered us, and we'd find ourselves as agile on old wood ski's as we did with our "sneakers". The woods, were always an adventure, and for some reason I always had that single-shot Hawthorn 22 with me. Not sure if that was because of the indians or the grizzly bears that might be lurking back there in the rolling hills of NY's southern tier.

In the city, I had lived in "the ward". A place where we joked that, "if you still had both of your eyes and no scars by the time you werer ten, then you must have been the neighborhood sissy". But the time I had completed fourth grade, I had broken my arm, been shot through the lip with arrow, had my head caved in with a rock (the kids were great though, the carried me home and laid me on the front door steps), and had my eye injured with a iceball. Surgery seemed to be just part of being an adolesent. Folks seemed to take it all in stride though and I thnk my father moved us to the country to ensure that I got old enough to vote.

Funny how life was, as injuries never seemed to be with malice, or blame and certainly never with lawyers and courts involved in the aftermath. It was "just stupidity" and one took the lumps as part of growing up.

Remember when "radio" was "the adventure", that little glow from the big console dial, and hearing those old programs from far beyond the horizons. Only at night could you get these stations, as the local radio usually shut down and went home after dark.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by plumbus View Post
                        spent a pleasant few days last month in beauford, sc., stopping between savannah and charleston. Tried to get on base (parris is.) but was turned back.
                        we all wished they turned us back~

Comment

Tool, I was on that same train only about 9 months before you. I have the same memories. We were bussed to PI from the train station and when that Marine got on and started screaming I jumped up so fast I damn near knocked myself out on the overhead. And at that time of my life I had never heard a person use language like that.

Does anybody remember the Grit newspaper?
                          When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

spending 20 minutes stalking a bullfrog to catch him with your bare hands

using the storm drains during a heavy rain as a Slip-n-Slide

playing Lawn Darts

walking around with a slingshot and a pocket full of marbles and no one cared

handing mom the tiny Bluegill you caught in the pond and somehow at dinner it was big enough to feed the whole family

playing William Tell with your neighbor

riding the dog up and down the stairs

your favorite Hide-n-Seek spot was inside the dryer

Comment

"your favorite Hide-n-Seek spot was inside the dryer"

I couldn't hide behind a clothes line.

Comment

Originally posted by DSurette View Post
                                Tool, I was on that same train only about 9 months before you. I have the same memories. We were bussed to PI from the train station and when that Marine got on and started screaming I jumped up so fast I damn near knocked myself out on the overhead. And at that time of my life I had never heard a person use language like that.

Does anybody remember the Grit newspaper?
                                PLATOON 147, "15 seconds left in the head!" Elliot's beach, Horrendous tug of wars, 75 men on each side. " YOU MAGGOT!!

Comment

Working...
                                X