Do you remember when

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you remember when

Black and White TV (Under age 45? You won't understand.)
    You could hardly see for all the snow,
    Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go.
    Pull a chair up to the TV set,
    'Good Night, David.
    Good Night, Chet.'

My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter and I used to eat it raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't remember getting e..coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE...and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

Flunking gym was not an option... even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention when we got home.

We must have had horribly damaged psyches. What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

In those days I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

Oh yeah... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-cent bottle of mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our butt spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either; because if we did we got our butt spanked there and then we got our butt spanked again when we got home.

I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop, just before he fell off.

Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house.

Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family.

How could we possibly have known that?

We needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes.

We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!

How did we ever survive?

JUST A REMINDER TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA; AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T, SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING!

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Re: Do you remember when

Dammit Charlie. You made me feel old reading that.

I'm gonna end my life right now!
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
      Dammit Charlie. You made me feel old reading that.

I'm gonna end my life right now!
      PROMISE? ( Just kidding)

Comment

Riding in cars that did not even have seat belts or riding all the way to town in the back of the pick up truck.

Drinking water straight out of the hose or lake or creek!

I was driving a tractor and raking hay or plowing a field at the tender age of 7

antenna on a pole in the back yard, would have to twist, turn, move, lean it into all kinds of positions to get UHF to come in.

no air conditioner in the house...........or the car for that matter.

motor oil in a glass quart jar

head light dimmer switch on the floorboard

changing a flat tire yourself....not waiting for AAA or the wrecker......and then patching the tube when you got home.

when 3 licks meant you were in big trouble at school and would be standing up for a while.

Comment

Fake sword fights with sticks and someone always got hit in the eye! No helmets, knee or elbow pads, you fell, you bled!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Fake sword fights with sticks and someone always got hit in the eye!
            That actually happened to a neighbor kid, him and his brother were sword fighting with sticks, got jabbed in the eye and all the way into his brain, died three days later. Very sad.

Comment

we would go out to play in the morning and mom said be home when the street lights came on
              no seat belts jumping around in the car
              Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

I rode a bike without a helmet. It's a wonder any of us survived.
                When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

BEING ABLE TO WATCH CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING ON ANTENNA TV! Still pisses me off there's no boxing on "regular" TV now.

I remember waiting for the black and white TV to warm up at my grandmothers.

No remote controls.

The flour bin in the kitchen. How else can you make chicken and dumplings or biscuits?

Hide and Go Seek.

The house phone as a weapon.

When a neighbor could wear your azz out when it needed to be done and it was alright with your parents.

Stores closed.

Everybody mowed there own yard.

Momma stayed home. There was no daycare. At least here.

My grandma taking care of a bee sting with snuff.

And Christmas always seemed so far away.....

J.C.

Comment

mom hit you with the wooden spoon [ until they broke when they hit you ]

then came the broom stick [ we still broke them ]

and the last was the plastic base ball bat [ that never broke and then we were good kids ]

now you kids call the cops and you go to jail
                    Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Every Mom had a blue jar of noxzema face cream
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Every Mom had a blue jar of noxzema face cream
                        Hey tool, remember when the Mayflower landed and you helped tie off the rope?

J.C.

Comment

It was funny reading most of these. I suppose we all look back and think we grew up in "the golden age" and frankly, I think it is true.

I'm only 66, but sometimes it makes me feel like 266 as I look back.

My maternal grandparents lived in Enfield, NC where they were dirt poor. Rented a three room shanty with no heat and only one light cord hanging in each room. The place was on a sandy street, right there on Alsop steet, on the west side of that little village. Up on brick "stilts" with plank siding and a tin roof. They took in "tobacco" during the summer, where they sorted and tied it to "sticks" to be hung across the ceiling to dry. Got paid a "nickel" a stick. You live in the midst of that smell for a summer and you'll never smoke!

I also keenly remember those "Whites Only" signs all over that little town, that was sliced in half by "Highway 301". Just out the back door and beyond the outhouse was "Black Bottom" where the "coloreds" lived; and since their store was just around the corner, that's where we all used to go to buy a Royal Crown cola or an Orange Crush. I was always ashamed of some of the things I saw in that place and time. Even as a little kid it all just seemed "weird" and embarrassing.

My paternal grandparents lived in Wellsboro, PA, where they had a nice farm just west of the village, on the road leading to the "Grand Canyon". I loved that place, with it's chickens and cows and Dick and Lady, the two draft horses. I remember foundly helping my Grandmother fetch eggs from the hen house, and of course feeding the chickens and watching the big boys (my older cousins) help Grandpa bring in the hay. No mechanized equipment on that farm and everything was done by hand. I remember I was about nine or ten when the boys put in the poles to bring electricity over the hill from town.

Before that time, the long drive from Binghamton, out the visit "the old folks on the farm" always ended with me falling asleep in my great grandfather's rocking chair, there by the pot-bellied stove in the dining room. I loved hearing everybody catching up on things that first evening, just by the latern lights.

I also loved the "family"... the old rotoscope pictures of various military units that my father and my many uncles had served in. They adorned the walls in the dining room. Similarly there were old silk pillows in the parlor and huge sea shells that my Uncle Lawrence had brought home from the Pacific, before the war. He was lost at "Pearl" when the old Oklahoma was sank. I guess Grandma could never separate herself from those rememberances.

My Grandfather was a baseball nut and often my summer stay on the farm would be highlighted by those after-work drives all the way down to Williamsport to watch the "Grays" play. Along that route there was one bit of oddity that I always looked for... a house that was painted black, with huge color "poka-dots" (really!).

My cousins and I used to play in the old barn with the loft full of loose hay, and of couse there were those afternoons when Grandpa would take us berry picking. He also taught us all how to swim down in some creek just southwest of there, I've long since forgot it's name, some like "Stoney Brook" or "Stoney Fork"; but. I do remember well the huge smooth stones and the deep "ponds" that were long ago carved by the warm rushing waters. It was a neat place and the water was as clear as glass.

It's funny what we remember, I think. Kids (at least my grandsons and their friends) don't have those kind of things and I wonder if their glance back of Wii's and Nintendos will be with the same warm fondnesses that many of us remember. Somehow I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong. Still, its hard to forget such days of buiding tree houses and "forts" in the deep woods, or lounging on a bed of tall green grass under a deep blue sky, or just smelling and hearing a "world" that surrounds you.

We were very lucky to have lived, when living wasn't about "stuff" we had to buy.

CWS

Comment

daisy bb guns at 20 paces, no heat shots allowed
                            black and white tv, 6 channels, had to get off the couch to change them
                            rotary dial telephone
                            transister AM radio
                            Tree forts, boards and whatever other crap you could haul 20 feet up a tree and tie and nail together. No safety rails
                            rope swings on the river
                            coffe cans full of cherry bombs on 4th of july
                            loaded 12 gauge standing by the back door ( foxes at the chickens )
                            loaded 30-30 on my gun rack parked at the high school parking lot.
                            learning how to properly read and fold a map, GPS baahhhhh
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              daisy bb guns at 20 paces, no heat shots allowed
                              black and white tv, 6 channels, had to get off the couch to change them
                              rotary dial telephone
                              transister AM radio
                              Tree forts, boards and whatever other crap you could haul 20 feet up a tree and tie and nail together. No safety rails
                              rope swings on the river
                              coffe cans full of cherry bombs on 4th of july
                              loaded 12 gauge standing by the back door ( foxes at the chickens )
                              loaded 30-30 on my gun rack parked at the high school parking lot.
                              learning how to properly read and fold a map, GPS baahhhhh

and i thought you were going to say lead and oakum, durham, hand threaded screw pipe. gal for water and waste and black for gas

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X