X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Heaven

Here in CT it's hard to come by firewood unless you either pay for it or get real lucky because most of wood is split and sold by the tree service folks. I just got real lucky, big twin oak being removed up the street and when I asked the boss if I could have some he said he would give me all of it! Seems he needs to get rid of the wood, no more space to warehouse and they pay to junk it. Now if my back and gut only hold up, I'll have firewood for the next couple years.

Re: Wood Heaven

Way to go!

Now, just pace yourself and be careful with that chainsaw!

CWS

Comment

Ah, my favorite power tool, unfortunately all the wood is log length so I'll be using wedges and a sledge. I don't have a wood burning insert or stove, so I can't justify buying a nice logsplitter. I believe some towns are passing laws making wood burning stoves illegal, what's the harm?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        I don't have a wood burning insert or stove, so I can't justify buying a nice logsplitter. So why do you want the wood for? reselling

I believe some towns are passing laws making wood burning stoves illegal, what's the harm?
        it is the germaphobe yuppies that are moving out into the county for the country experience and don't want to smell the smoke of some poor country fella just trying to keep his family warm.

Comment

I don't resell the wood I split, I burn it in my fireplace and hang out in that area when the family is out during the day. I'm able to keep the thermostat down and save a bit of oil. I like the smell of wood burning as long as it isn't a house fire. Heck, it's one small way of cutting down on oil or other energy consumption in order to keep warm.

Comment

I'm with ya on the saving a buck while staying warm, and nothing like a good fire to do that.

I have been wanting one of the outdoor furnaces but they cost so dang much, might just have to build on.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
              I'm with ya on the saving a buck while staying warm, and nothing like a good fire to do that.

I have been wanting one of the outdoor furnaces but they cost so dang much, might just have to build on.
              I looked into a wood burning furnace a couple years ago and aside from the initial cost it weighed over 3000lbs and took up a lot of room. My biggest concern was that it just ate up tons of wood with a firebox almost triple the size of a real big woodburning stove. Although it would burn big logs, I figured even if I had the wood I would be feeding this thing all day. I know they must work or else folks would not buy them, but they are probably best suited for folks with acres of woods to clear and a couple strong teenage sons would'nt hurt.

Comment

I'm sort of with you on the woodburning, as I like a fireplace (but the wife doesn't, even though we have one here in the future home).

But, I'm afraid they can be a nuisance to others, depending on where you live. If they are not regulated to some degree, everybody and their cousin will have one and of course that just leads us to further air pollution, which we all tried to get away from several decades ago.

Imagine in the city or a suburban developement where the biggest percentage of folks were all burning wood, or worse coal. You probably wouldn't be able to breath the air outside.

I have a neighbor here in Binghamton that must not ever clean his fireplace or chimney, or else he's using some God-awful wood. His "smoke" just reaks... smells like old moldy garbage or something.

In anycase, it sure doesn't bring back memories of yester-year, like we've been writing about in the "Remember When" thread.

CWS

Comment

Franks got wood!!!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Years ago I had a gas incinerator in my basement. It could take all of my household waste and garbage (including bones) and reduce it to a bag of ashes to use in the garden or put out at the curb for collection saving solid waste space in the landfill.

When I went to replace it, couldn't buy one as it "generated to much ash in the air".

Leaf burning is also banned in a lot of localities. Do you remember the smell of Autumn?

Fireplaces are now being looked at as well as chimeneas, yard waste burning, farm waste burning etc.

The large companies can spew all kinds of smoke and chemicals into the air, water and ground without many restrictions. They can afford the lawyers and lobbyists.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      I looked into a wood burning furnace a couple years ago and aside from the initial cost it weighed over 3000lbs and took up a lot of room. My biggest concern was that it just ate up tons of wood with a firebox almost triple the size of a real big woodburning stove. Although it would burn big logs, I figured even if I had the wood I would be feeding this thing all day. I know they must work or else folks would not buy them, but they are probably best suited for folks with acres of woods to clear and a couple strong teenage sons would'nt hurt.
                      Frankie, Be glad you did not get an outdoor wood burning furnace. I live in the "boonies and have acres of free wood. Checked into a wood burner(thought it would save on the fuel bill) and discovered that the savings would almost pay for the replacement of the furnace, chainsaw, splitter, chainsaw chaps, gloves, earmuffs, etc. All I would be buying is a lot of work! I do have a fireplace, tho. I have a very good supply of wood just from trees that die or are blown over.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                        I'm sort of with you on the woodburning, as I like a fireplace (but the wife doesn't, even though we have one here in the future home).

But, I'm afraid they can be a nuisance to others, depending on where you live. If they are not regulated to some degree, everybody and their cousin will have one and of course that just leads us to further air pollution, which we all tried to get away from several decades ago.

Imagine in the city or a suburban developement where the biggest percentage of folks were all burning wood, or worse coal. You probably wouldn't be able to breath the air outside.

I have a neighbor here in Binghamton that must not ever clean his fireplace or chimney, or else he's using some God-awful wood. His "smoke" just reaks... smells like old moldy garbage or something.

In anycase, it sure doesn't bring back memories of yester-year, like we've been writing about in the "Remember When" thread.

CWS
                        I can't burn leaves, but do remember this nice smell from my childhood. Most if not all of the homes in my neighborhood have fireplaces but almost no one uses them. They don't have wood, they don't want to mess up the house with wood, debris and ashes, they are too lazy. A few of the homes are occupied by divorced women, or widows and it seems no man, no fire!
                        I agree that using a fireplace carries certain responsibilities. I have a chimney brush I use at the end of the season and I don't burn paper products. Your neighbor with the smelly smoke may be burning wood that has decayed?

Comment

I live in Oregon buy a $15 permit and cut all the wood you will ever need! And some sweet Burls as well

Comment

In the near future:

^^^
                            Not satisfied with just warming his own home for the winter, Franki puts his lifetime supply of heating lumber to more ambitious goals."
                            Last edited by tailgunner; 11-15-2010, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                              In the near future:

^^^
                              Not satisfied with just warming his own home for the winter, Franki puts his lifetime supply of heating lumber to more ambitious goals."
                              For some reason that pictue reminded me of the end of "The Thing" with kurt russel, when he sets the whole place on fire saying it's gonna be real warm here for the next few hours. I am concerned my wood pile doesn't go up in flames, I put a lot of work into splitting that wood. Take my house, leave my wood!

Comment

Working...
                              X