Random Thoughts Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Random Thoughts Thread

The only time I seen a lid fly is when I was 16 I was on a job with my dad. He wanted to open this manhole in the middle of a parking lot, but its been seal coated in place. So he had a breaker bar under the hole in the lid as he beat on the lid with a 16 lb sledge hammer. He told me to get back cause the lid could pop up and hit me. So I backed up about 10 feet away from where he was working. After about a dozen hits with the sledge hammer that lid flew straight up and arced right towards me. I backed up but not fast enough it landed right on my foot. The steal toed boots saved my foot but the impact dented the steal toe so bad I had to have the boot cut off my foot. I still had a couple broken bones. Its just the type of luck I have I guess.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Evander Holyfield fights tonight.

Hope he wins

Comment

I really like the State of The Union Address but it's all the applause that wears me down.

Comment

Got my day all screwed up for wednesday:

Been putting in a lot of hours taking care of all the broken water lines from freezing/bursting.

Didn't think I was 'real' tired when I got home, ate, started to feel real gritty and figured I'd do a 20 minute nap and get back to work online.

Laid down at 9pm and slept till 2:30am.

Now I'm up, still tired and need more sleep. I should have enough with that timeline but I can feel that it wasn't the good sleep that resets your day.

In a blink of an eye, january disappeared on me due to work load and cold weather.

I'm running out of time to get ready for my other companies that are set to pull good and I'm going to miss my targets thanks to winter.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I don't think anything has or will change this morning. The State of the Union remains the same.

Comment

Uplifting, postive, brilliant speeches without action to back them up are worthless in my opinion. I agree with the republican response "private person to private person, we still have time, but we don't have a lot of time". Enough hot air, do something!

Comment

Obama was right about a few things, for that I give him credit. Spending cuts to the 12% non security discretionary budget are completely inadequate. But his words were very self-inconsistent in a key area: We need to cut spending, but we need more gov't programs. Huh?

Some key issues of critial urgency were glossed over or not addressed, such as an exit strategy for the war, a real energy policy, and the entitlements problem. Nothing. These issues are killing us... literally and in terms of the economy. The administration that promised us change is really no different in this respect than the previous one.

Other things were mentioned but no details given. Overhaul the tax code? Great, and much needed. Been hearing it for 30 years. Unfortunately, every revision to the tax code starts with a speech and ends with things being more convoluted than before, in true DC style. He needs to lay out a framework. This is something this POTUS, even moreso than his predecessors, doesn't do. He leaves it to others, who spend the time, and butch it up (like health care). We end up throwing copious amounts of money at the problem - a strategy that has been proven to simply not work, not even a little.

There were areas in the speech that make me think we're doomed. This guy is in love with infrastructure. He used it to justify his stimulus package, and yesterday he primed the pump again for another round. We don't want stimulus, because it doesn't work. And, it is grossly wasteful to spend any money at this time on infrastructure. Yes, we need the improvements - badly. But spending money on infrastructure in light of our more significant problems is like remodeling the kitchen when the foundation is crumbling. Sure, there will be some collateral benefits. But the $1 in benefit to jobs and domestic production will cost $1000, all of which is debt. Unless he gets real, in a hurry, we are done.

The part on education reform was great re-election talk. We really do need education reform at all levels, including the University level. But there was not even the hint of a plan. And, we all need to understand that any educational reform isn't going to make a dent in the economic situation for 20 years. By then the game will be, as the old saying goes, all over but the cryin'. I think it makes more sense to get our house in order first. Education reform is important, but simply not as urgent as other problems.

Paul Ryan's response was much more realistic, although it also had it's problems in that it lacked specific details of what they would like to do. At least the Repo Response demonstrated a more reasonable assessment of the urgency of some of these problems, although also with no real plan enumerated.

Sadly, I think that the real issue in DC is actually not lack of understanding. There are some, particularly in the House, that truly don't understand much. But very many are sharper than we might think. It comes down to political will, and a strong "normalcy bias" (the belief, however irrational, that things can't go horribly wrong because they have been more or less ok so far). So... we get rearrangement of the deck chairs on the Titanic.

The problem is that time is running out. For example, if China dumped its dollars we would suffer very large economic issues. If the global community moved away from the dollar as the reserve currency, things would be even worse. And no one will warn the US about it. If it does come down to this, it will just happen one day.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  The only time I seen a lid fly is when I was 16 I was on a job with my dad. He wanted to open this manhole in the middle of a parking lot, but its been seal coated in place. So he had a breaker bar under the hole in the lid as he beat on the lid with a 16 lb sledge hammer. He told me to get back cause the lid could pop up and hit me. So I backed up about 10 feet away from where he was working. After about a dozen hits with the sledge hammer that lid flew straight up and arced right towards me. I backed up but not fast enough it landed right on my foot. The steal toed boots saved my foot but the impact dented the steal toe so bad I had to have the boot cut off my foot. I still had a couple broken bones. Its just the type of luck I have I guess.
                  I would have loved to see that cover fly like that......thats simply sensational. I have heard that explosions underground have sent them flying really high into the air.....and over a 4 story building or landing on roof tops. It was a problem so bad that some were chained down.

But I never would have thought that a guy with a 16lb sledge could strike a manhole cover and it fly about 10' in the air....good to know thats possible and I will be more careful.

Comment

Doing maintenance to my drain cleaning equipment wore me out tonight. Glad to have some of it done.

Comment

Why oh why do I volunteer myself for so many things at one time?
                      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Im done with work for the week going to eat dinner then hit the road for a 9 hr drive to Maine for the weekend
                        on monday im going to the top of Mt Washington for the day it is cold up there - 20
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

As of tonight at 3:30am I have just taken on 64,000 members on facebook for something they shouldn't of done.

I've got a lawyer that now knows of the situation, I contacted facebook directly, and if it gets removed in the next 5 days I can honestly say I've accomplished something pretty huge.

I'm not getting my hopes up, I'll probably fail, but I wanted to draw the line in the sand and show people how one person can make a difference.

Even I won't hold my breath on this on. I bet myself $1 I can win.

Comment

That sounds interesting.

Comment

ENOUGH WITH THE SNOW ALREADY! I give up! I have now officially ran out of places to put it! I don't even have a snowblower!

Oh, as for those facebook goon squads, what did they do?

Comment

Found out an hour ago that one of my aunts died abruptly today. She was the person you knew that was family driven to a tee, it was her life and everything aside is second.

This is going to be a sad funeral, 4 adult children who had kids and now some of their kids have had kids.

Thank goodness I took the unselfish act and went to their 50 year anniversary party last year. They deserved the family presence, the memories and I'm so thankful to know them in my life.

Aside from the above... it makes you appreciate life, the older we become.

Comment

Working...
                                X