X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Airport security and full body scans

Sorry to disagree with most of you guys but we have lost our freedom and former illusion of security. The terrorists drove home a painful point that planes are potentially devistating weapons and must be secured. Everyone who boards a plane including the pilots should be thoroughly examined because we have witnessed home grown morons (sorry, terrorists) who look like you and I. There is no reason to believe they will not use a child to smuggle a weapon or some kind of bomb on the plane, so children should not be exempt.

I would also give the pilots a breathalizer check, because they have been known to drink heavily before a flight. We either take the threat seriously and rise to the occassion, or risk being victimized again and again. I also agree with fighting terrorism at the source and here at home but the penalties must be more severe, swifter and less costly to us. Justice for all should not include terrorists in my opinion, they should not be afforded our rights when they seek to destroy our freedoms.

Comment

Wonder why nobody thought of this before?Here's a solution to all the

Controversy over full-body scanners at the airports:

All we need to do is develop a booth that you can step into that

will not X-ray you, but will detonate any explosive device you

may have hidden on or in your body. The explosion will be contained

within the sealed booth.

This would be a win-win for everyone. There would be no racial

profiling and the device would eliminate long and expensive

trials......... This is so simple it's brilliant!

I can see it now: you're in the airport terminal and you hear a

muffled explosion. Shortly thereafter an announcement comes over the

PA system, "Attention standby passengers, we now have a seat available

on flight number...

Comment

Not a bad idea Kid, but we would miss those just carrying the chemicals and not a ready made bomb. I suggest we randomly grab half the folks who want to fly and execute them! That would immediately cut our risk in half and reduce unnecessary airline travel.

Comment

PK, you're a genius.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Not a bad idea Kid, but we would miss those just carrying the chemicals and not a ready made bomb. I suggest we randomly grab half the folks who want to fly and execute them! That would immediately cut our risk in half and reduce unnecessary airline travel.
            The airlines will love this... non-refundable tickets!

Comment

I've been saying right along that explosives could be hidden in a body cavity, which would make full body cavity searches necessary if they really want to heighten airline security. When the shoe bomber made his appearance, we all had to start taking our shoes off at the airport. I predict one of these terrorists will attempt to hide something like pten inside his or her body. Wheter or not the attempt is successful, it may usher in a new age in security procedures. Mandatory full body cavity searches for everyone, every time they fly. Enjoy the flight.

Comment

I was going to provide a long comment but some of you will call me racist.

So, all I'll say is "We should be eliminating the problem instead of reacting stupidly".

the art of problem solving.....
                1. identify the problem
                2. eliminate the problem.
                3. problem resolved.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                  I was going to provide a long comment but some of you will call me racist.

So, all I'll say is "We should be eliminating the problem instead of reacting stupidly".

the art of problem solving.....
                  1. identify the problem
                  2. eliminate the problem.
                  3. problem resolved.

Cactus Man
                  Those comments on the rangel thread drew you some heat but this is another matter altogether. In my opinion the problem is too widespread to either drop a bunch of bombs or kill folks in the street, they are in every country and probably in every city right here! I don't trust the idea of profiling either, that young japanese guy who disguised himself as an old white man proved a way around it.

It stinks to be inconvenienced but what choice do we have to stay somewhat safe? Is it even conceivable to body cavity search everyone, everytime? Sounds crazy. What about the man or woman who flys several times a week? That's an awful lots of gloved fingers inside your body!
                  Now they're talking about bomb sniffing dogs in addition to everything else. I can picture it now, airport full of naked folks being probed by strangers while german shepherds are sniffing and possibly snapping at their genitals!

Comment

I wonder if rail travel is picking up in light of the additional security measures for air travel. next thing ya know you'll be standing in the same lines to board a train or bus even.

At one place I worked I went through metal detectors and placed all my carry items (as well as emptying everything from your pockets) on the x-ray and also was scanned for explosives every time I entered. the explosives tester is pretty sensitive, if you went hunting or shooting the day before and wore the same jacket through the detector it will alarm just off the trace of gunpowder. It only took 20 or 30 seconds to check for explosives on your person, and you didn't have to undress or stand in front of an x-ray. why they can't use the same technology at airports is beyond me.

I did hear that the companies making these scanners are spending big bucks lobbying congress, TSA, and Homeland Security, to the tune of $5.5 MILLION last year and $4.2 MILLION so far this year for one company alone. And this has netted this one company $39.5 million in sales so far.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      I wonder if rail travel is picking up in light of the additional security measures for air travel. next thing ya know you'll be standing in the same lines to board a train or bus even.

At one place I worked I went through metal detectors and placed all my carry items (as well as emptying everything from your pockets) on the x-ray and also was scanned for explosives every time I entered. the explosives tester is pretty sensitive, if you went hunting or shooting the day before and wore the same jacket through the detector it will alarm just off the trace of gunpowder. It only took 20 or 30 seconds to check for explosives on your person, and you didn't have to undress or stand in front of an x-ray. why they can't use the same technology at airports is beyond me.

I did hear that the companies making these scanners are spending big bucks lobbying congress, TSA, and Homeland Security, to the tune of $5.5 MILLION last year and $4.2 MILLION so far this year for one company alone. And this has netted this one company $39.5 million in sales so far.
                      Gotta get them lobbyists out of washington and far from our legislators. How can we expect impartial and informed decisions from our elected officials when folks are lining their pockets?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        I think rail travel will be picking up because of this. I have some friends that have said they are done with flying until this changes. Fortunately for them, where they work will send them on a train if they don't want to fly.

I know I've been giving a lot of thought to if I want to fly anymore. Sadly, with my schedule, I don't have time to take a train or drive when I need to go across country. I will have to suck it up and put up with the new rules. I'm so sick of having to change my lifestyle and live in fear of what someone might do.

Comment

if you want to solve your security problems pull your troops out of countries you shouldn`t be in.

Tony

Comment

Think about this. The bombers get tired of being searched, taking off their shoes and letting morons stick their hands in their undies. So instead of taking out a plane, they walk into Walmart, or Macy's or any other store, Mall, shopping center, train station, bus depot and blow it up. They do it all over the world, so why not here. I'm just saying, they don't have to take out just planes. So do we start searching Walmart customers. Full cavity searches at your local Grocery store?

On any given day, there are probably more people in some establishments than on any airplane. What about a football game? The local pub during a Football game.

Like I said earlier, it's a sham.
                            Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I say staff the TSA with Gastro doctors, Gynecologists and E.N.T. doctors so we can both fly safer AND get those much needed periodic exams in at the same time.

I'm really surprised it wasn't written into ObamaScare.

I can see it now...the anesthesiologist will put everyone under, the doctors do their exams, the government picks your pocket, they load you on the cargo plane and wake you up at your destination. Some of the muslim passengers are strangely missing.
                              Last edited by SlimTim; 11-23-2010, 10:44 PM.
                              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                                Think about this. The bombers get tired of being searched, taking off their shoes and letting morons stick their hands in their undies. So instead of taking out a plane, they walk into Walmart, or Macy's or any other store, Mall, shopping center, train station, bus depot and blow it up. They do it all over the world, so why not here. I'm just saying, they don't have to take out just planes. So do we start searching Walmart customers. Full cavity searches at your local Grocery store?

On any given day, there are probably more people in some establishments than on any airplane. What about a football game? The local pub during a Football game.

Like I said earlier, it's a sham.
                                It is all a shame, and yes, malls would make great targets as well as sporting and other events. Solution would be to only allow one shopper in at a time, and the line outside would be very long because you would have to maintain a fifty yard space between customers!

I wonder how widespread the threat actually is, compared to what is imagined? In other words, at any given time are there hundreds of plots in the works or perhaps two or three wackos on the move to carry something out? Yes, they are constantly suicide bombing in israel and places we have troops, but not here. Is it a matter of time, or is America not that great a target?

Comment

Working...
                                X