Airport security and full body scans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Airport security and full body scans

Really now, the simple fact is that everyone is getting a bit excited and there's no easy answer for the problem and no way "Security", is ever going to win the conflict with the public. In which case, the terrorists have to some degree won by causing conflict and monetary costs within the society that they have targetted.

Has anyone paid attention? Probably not. If we were, we'd take note that the majority of people don't mind these scans, as they understand the situation. It is the minority that is doing all of the complaints, which is entirely the norm! Also, one needs to note that as time lengthens from the last time a plane full of passengers was brought down by a terrorist, we become more and more concerned for what we think are "our rights", and quite a bit less concerned for our safety. But of course, if the terrorists' bring down a few people this afternoon, we'll all be talking tonight about how the government needs to do it's job and tighten security even more!

Like I said, "Security" can't possibly win!

And of course, as someone suggested, we can all take the train! Does anyone realize how easy it is to take out a train? Heck, none of the rail systems are guarded for any great length and in fact, I doubt that they can be guarded... just too many miles, with too many possible target points.

We could of course just ban all believers of Islam... like that would ever happen! But even then, how would you know who is and who isn't. Maybe we could start looking at our mail (well there goes my subscription to Saudi Aramco) or monitoring our web browsing. Nope that's not going to work (someone's probably doing it anyway).

We could all just start reporting on our neighbors... do any of you guys have beard or started to grow one?

Basically "terrorism" is the ultimate killer of freedom. One only has to do it a couple of times and/or threaten to do it. Once done, a good portion of us will give up some of our freedoms and another good portion of us with attack the very government that is trying to protect us. See, terrorism isn't all that easy to defend against, as the targets, methods, and delivery systems are only limited by the imagination of the attacker. It's the ultimate "stealth", for as a defender you can only identify it as the plan is being staged or in the process of being executed.

"Security," at best can only discover and hopefully disarm individual attacks, with the results that the terrorist will learn and thus not repeat that mistake again. While they don't win, they don't loose either, they just learn a lesson. Bottom line, the terrorists either win, or they learn and make another attempt, on another day, against another target. And in between, they can laugh at all the expense that is made and all the protests that follow.

We on the other hand, have little choice except to do our best.

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 11-23-2010, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Re: Airport security and full body scans

Good post, cws.

Yes as always it's the minority that's complaining. But that doesn't make them wrong.

Let's say we all capitulate to the current air travel rules. Tomorrow, we agree to implement these at the train station. Next week, pat downs at Wal Mart. Too bad they hire old folks not good-looking 25 y.o. girls.... but I digress.

Remember that terrorism isn't about the killing, its about causing TERROR.

Terrorists use unconventional tactics. Conventional military actions, like rolling infantry into Afghanistan, are ineffective against them. It didn't work in Viet Nam and has never worked against radical islamics. You can't defeat an invisible enemy with conventional forces.

How many US Citizens have terrorists killed since 1990? How many have we lost in wars that, as near as I can tell, haven't addressed the problem? Just because they're in the Military doesn't make the loss of a soldier's life one bit more acceptable than the loss of life in the WTC. My point is that we have chosen a path that has killed more Americans (and innocent civilians, who the radicals hate as much as they hate us) that the terorists have killed.

Whenever you hear that a missile strike took out some terrorists, you usually also hear that information was supplied by an informant. Informants, and other covert activities, work. Fact is, no matter where in the world, there are plenty of people that have a price.

Years ago there were some problems with the CIA doing some things that they probably shouldn't have been doing on their own. So, instead of adding controls, the politicians emasculated them.

Big mistake.

It's often said that doing the same things over and over and expecting different results is one definition of insanity. I don't necessarily think our politicians are insane... some seem to be. I don't think they're stupid... some seem to be. But I think they're sending our children into harms way and bankrupting our country with no indication in the slightest that they are going to beat this enemy through this course of action.

Succumbing to terror is sure not helping. Besides, it's not the American way. You have to be mentally stronger than the terrorists. Americans have always been tough... what the hell has happened??

If they can't inspire terror, which is nothing more than our REACTION to their ACTIONS, then we can win. In the meantime, we should be tracking the b*st*rds down, using informants and any other covert means that work, and exterminating them - not wasting precious young American lives on wars that have no clearcut path to victory.

Comment

Hey, feels bad that you experienced this! But, what I think is that sometimes the authorities have to be serious or rude with people.And, frequent updations in the technologies are the need of the hour. After all, it

Comment

Samual Adams

In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war* and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. Every art of corruption would be employed to loosen the bond of union which renders our resistance formidable. When the spirit of liberty, which now animates our hearts and gives success to our arms*, is extinct, our numbers will accelerate our ruin and render us easier victims to tyranny. [SIZE=4]If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom

Patrick Henry

Mr. President, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? Are we disposed to be of the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and, having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it. Is security so dear, or wealth so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

Benjamin Franklin

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
          to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
          deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Last edited by frodo; 08-08-2015, 07:52 AM.
          I like it like that !
          and, It's like that now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Another thread, back from the dead. Anyone remember what they were doing back in 09?
            sigpic

Comment

Yep another old thread. Anyone notice that the person who revived this thread only seems to post about security related stuff. At some point we may see security related spam from that poster.

Comment

Working...
              X