Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport security and full body scans

Here is an interesting post from an airline pilot;

My name is Michael Roberts, and I am a pilot for ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., based in Houston (that is, I still am for the time being). This morning as I attempted to pass through the security line for my commute to work I was denied access to the secured area of the terminal building at Memphis International Airport. I have passed through the same line roughly once per week for the past four and a half years without incident. Today, however, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) agents at this checkpoint were using one of the new Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) systems that are currently being deployed at airports across the nation....
    Read more..http://www.expressjetpilots.com/the-...ay-was-the-day

-------------------

I wonder how many more rights we are going to be forced to loose. I also wonder if the outfit that is going to be supplying and installing the 2,000+ machines that have already been ordered is politically connected to have received the contract.

The largest concern I have though is the risk the people who fly often and have to use these machines regularly will be subjected to. The government has already stated that the units have not been fully tested. There are concerns that the technology concentrates it's power to the skin of the person being scanned so it has a chance of creating skin and breast cancers, much more so then normal x-ray technology. Those who fly often and airline employees who undergo daily scans may be put at a much greater risk.

There also seems to be policies in place to harass and embarrass those who "opt-out" of the scans by loudly and publiclly announcing their choice to opt-out. Then subjecting them to a pat-down that would be a sexual harassment charge in any other circumstance. I believe that their is also a procedure to detain and fine anyone who "opts-out" of both test and chooses to try and leave the airport.

~shrug~ what a mess airport security has become.
    Last edited by Abbott; 11-16-2010, 01:16 PM.

Re: Airport security and full body scans

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
    I wonder how many more rights we are going to be forced to loose. .
    - LOL

Is there a "right to flight" In the US Constitution?

If you don't like all the restrictions of the airways you could always, take a bus, take a train, buy your own plane, take a car, or just deal with the body scan that is for your safety.

There is no right to fly.....its a privilege that can be taken away actually.....just like operating a motor vehicle, but, if you still have the privilege and want to fly then you will have to follow the rules of society, which means body scans, pat downs and whatever other measures are required to keep the planes and passengers safe while they are in flight.

Have a great day and of course this is just an opinion and might actually not even represent mine, just saying
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Heh, I didn't say anything about having a right to fly. I don't think that my family and I should have to submit to nude photos or having our crotches patted down to board an airplane. The rights we are loosing go far beyond flying and now people are being subjected to unreasonable health risks and loss of basic constitutional rights all in the name of security.

What about the piolts and crew who will be subjected to higher doses of radiation (that is cumulative by the way) on a daily basis? Your children? Your wife? If not put at greater health risk then let their crotches be patted down. That's fine if you think that is acceptable in your so called "rules of society" but I think that is a pretty short sighted and a silly point of view.
      Last edited by Abbott; 11-16-2010, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I think the whole thing is a sham. And I'm not so sure society goes along with it. Do a poll here and see how many people do or don't want to be subjected to this treatment. I think you might be surprised at how many of us Americans are over giving away our freedoms to the Federal Government in the name of our safety.
        Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Do not blame the Government, Airlines or anyone else except the terrorists and other assorted criminals that have caused these procedures to be put into play. Get your head out of the sand and recognize the real danger that is out there. The other alternative would be to ground all planes, and I mean all planes, which would put countless of thousands of people out of work. Do you want that!
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            Do not blame the Government, Airlines or anyone else except the terrorists and other assorted criminals that have caused these procedures to be put into play. Get your head out of the sand and recognize the real danger that is out there. The other alternative would be to ground all planes, and I mean all planes, which would put countless of thousands of people out of work. Do you want that!

I don't think that is necessarily accurate Dave. Israel has the best airline security in the world and they do not use these full body scanners that take actual nude pictures of you, your family and others or use such invasive techniques that are performed by employees that are qualified enough to work at Taco Bell if they hadn't of been hired by the TSA.

Comment

Your comparison of Israel and the United States is also not necessarily accurate. The amount of flights that need monitoring in Israel compared to the amount in this country pails in comparison. A much greater chance of someone/something slipping through the cracks here than there. I'm by no stretch of the imagination pro intrusive government however we are at war with the terrorists and when you're at war personal liberties sometimes take a little hit.
              Last edited by BadgerDave; 11-16-2010, 02:40 PM.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I think short of a full body scan, including a physical body cavity search and possibly 24 hour quarantine, we are still at risk from folks boarding planes. Even with such extreme measures there are still too many loopholes in security to expect we are not at risk. I'm concerned terrorists will target railways, city subways, and buses. What would be the response to such attacks? Would we possibly start seaching passengers on these modes of transportation?

How about this idea to deter terrorism, let it be known that for every attack or plot uncovered there will be a military response. I'm not suggesting we bomb a country if the person is mentally ill and not a terrorist, but if the person is from a terrorist sponsored state I say bombs away. If they're home grown, let's say from NJ, we drop some bombs on NJ.

Maybe we could save some time and money at the airports if we have passengers in charge of security? Hand out gloves and lube to everyone, and we each do a body cavity search on the person in front of us.
                Last edited by Frankiarmz; 11-16-2010, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Maybe we could save some time and money at the airports if we have passengers in charge of security? Hand out gloves and lube to everyone, and we each do a body cavity search on the person in front of us.
                  Then I want to sit in the back of the plane please!!

Comment

I'll be the male nurse with the Red Cross to perform complimentary breast cancer examinations, for when I haven't been called to active duty to guard Bradley International.

Oh, as for cavity searches and lube, it would be a good time to roll out my Ridgid seesnake.

Comment

I make some money and time saving suggestions and you guys turn them into a joke! Okay, last suggestion. You know there are more women than men available for relationships and marriage. My idea is to free up housing currently taken by single women, have three or four women assigned to each successfully married man. These newage marriage arrangements would share expenses and get a special tax break. The women wouldn't be lonely and looking to harass some happily single guy, us married guys would finally have plenty of intimacy and the women would keep eachother company when we were busy doing important stuff. See, that coed shower idea was just small potatoes I got some great ideas.

Comment

The terrorist goal is to destroy America from within. This doesn't mean that they necessarily want to kill us all, although they are all too willing. It means that they want to destroy our way of life. The ever-increasing airport security is really them succeeding. We modify our lives because of the threat posed by terrorists. IMO, it's not a good justification to say that personal liberties have to take one for the team during time of war. That is EXACTLY what the enemy wants - to destroy our way of life. A little today, a little tomorrow. They have time.

We definitely CAN blame our Government, as well as the governments of Europe and other threatened western nations. We fund the Departments od Defense, Homeland Security and the TSA. If the result of this is highly invasive procedures, instituted as a reaction to a proactive enemy's increasingly sophisticated threat, then they are failing.

There are technological means for threat detection that were being worked on in the 1980s. These were cancelled or cut back for funding reasons. We in the US have tremendous technical capability in industry (including what is left of the defense contracting world) and the National Labs. They ARE working on things, but the scale is clearly insufficient to solve the problems. A large part of our best sit idle and aren't addressing the threat. It is pretty sad that the United States can't seem to keep up with the increasing sophistication for the terrorist threat.

Nor is our Government willing, apparently, to get serious about energy independence that will financially cripple our enemies.

Yet, the Government can find money to fund:

* Ineffective wars to the tune of trillions.

* Ineffective economic stimulus packages that end up sending tax money overseas.

* Bank bailouts that apparently only benefitted the banks.

* Health care reform that the population doesn't support.

IMO, you HAVE to blame the Government. They work for us, and they are getting trillions of dollars every year in tax money to protect all of us and our Country.

They have to be held accountable. And they aren't doing a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                          The terrorist goal is to destroy America from within. This doesn't mean that they necessarily want to kill us all, although they are all too willing. It means that they want to destroy our way of life. The ever-increasing airport security is really them succeeding. We modify our lives because of the threat posed by terrorists. IMO, it's not a good justification to say that personal liberties have to take one for the team during time of war. That is EXACTLY what the enemy wants - to destroy our way of life. A little today, a little tomorrow. They have time.
                          I have been hearing this for over 15 years now, and I agree completely with it. Every day we give up another freedom to try and feel secure, and then one day we look back and go what happened? It's not a good thing.

Comment

It's political correctness run amuck. Why the heck is it necessary to scan the pilots when all they have to do is fly the jet into the ground? It's ludicrous.
                            ALL of the terrorists have been muslim and from certain countries. Scan them. That should eliminate, say, 100% of the threat.

Oh, and watch out for the guy in drag that keeps getting back in line for a pat down. Or perhaps one of the "don't ask, don't tell" tsa friends of liza that are giving the pat downs.
                            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Oh, as for cavity searches and lube, it would be a good time to roll out my Ridgid seesnake.
                              this sounds like a job for the new micro with the smaller diameter head.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X