Drill Press

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Press

I have the drill press and tried to change the speed for the first time today since purchasing this unit and after loosening the tighten tension boltsthen opening the top as the instruction say trying to push the lever that is supposed to loosen the middle pulley and cannot push ,pull or turn this thing any way possible also when checking the tighten bolts there is no tightening of the belts whatsoever, is there something I am missing or is this defective ?

Re: Drill Press

Try using a little cheater bar. Take a combination wrench and slide the closed end over the lever. This should make moving the lever easier than just using your hand.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

that may work for pulling or turning but the instructions claim I should push the lever in for loosening... But I may give it a try,I hate to roughhouse the thing it is only a few months old..Thanks

Comment

The only motion that lever has is front to back and vice versa, it doesn't turn or move sideways. On my drill press I switched out the OEM belts and replaced them with link belts. They go on and come off the pulleys much easier than the OEM's and also are quieter and vibrate less.
        Last edited by BadgerDave; 11-18-2010, 06:36 PM.

Comment

I have the 1550 drill press.On mine the tension release arm makes the motor move in and out, not the center pulley.I must admit there is not very much movement to it either.[maybe 1/4 in or so] The belts fit real tight,just take your time and move the belts one stage at a time.

Huck

Comment

I also have the 1550, actually model number on the nameplate reads, "15501".

In any case, there are two threaded "locking" bolts, one on each side of housing. They have "T" handles, to aid in loosening/tightening by hand.

Once both of these are loosened, the chrome "L" handle on the right rear side of the housing is "pulled" forward toward the front of the press. This should pull the motor forward, thus moving the back pulley forward also.

The center pulley, is simply on a mounting bar that pivots back and forth (pivot point is on the left side of the mounting bar) and allows the belts to be loosened or tightened, once the tension is taken off when the real pulley is moved forward. The forward pulley is simply fastened to the spindle, and is therefore fixed.

Once I realized how easily that center pulley moves on it's pivot, the changing of the belts became much easier.

I'm concerned that you are having a problem getting the motor to loosen, via the "L" handle. The handle probably doesn't move more than 5 or 10 degrees and thus the motor movement is as Badger Dave described (only a 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so). On my drill press, the lever/motor pulls forward fairly easily, once the two locking bolts are loosened.

Yours is the second or third complaint regarding the difficulty of loosening the belt tension, that I have read. Makes me wonder if somehow the motor has slipped somehow slipped from position, or if there is something blocking it's movement. (I recall a problem with mine, when I first got it, that resulted when I mistakenly moved the motor back when the belt wasn't positioned correctly.)

I'll check mine tomorrow and add to this if I see anything that looks like it would cause the problem you are having.

You're still under warranty, but what a pain it would be to send or take this to a service center. You could call Ridgid Technical Support, to see what they suggest, if you can't clear this up.

I'll post again tomorrow,

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 11-18-2010, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Going to New Orleans on Friday to build a table and some shelves etc. in my parents garage so if get back in time I will go check this thing out again and yes You are right hauling it to a service center would be a hassle and the closest one to me is prolly 30 miles or so away - guess that's what I get for livin in the country....The t bolts loosen and tighten but do not feel like they tighten into anything as they go almost all the way into the housing---I was able to change the belts to change the speed by working them in circular motion but they do not get tighter when tighten the t bolts back ... I will post again prolly Sat. thanks for Ya'll's suggestions and concern

Comment

BadgerDAve where did You locate the link belts ? This may be an option if they will be easier to move from pulley to pulley....

Comment

Papawd,

I didn't make that very clear, the two "T" handled screws (one on each side) are simply for securing the tension, once you have it set using the chrome tension lever ("L" handle on the right rear side).

I took another look at my 15501 and basically, the motor mounting bracket, is fastened to two adjustment rods that slide into the back of the upper housing casting.

These steel rods, simply allow the motor to move forward or back and the chromed tension adjustment handle is used to move these rods accordingly. Pushing the belt tension lever back tightens the belts, and pulling it forward loosens the belts. (Please note that the instructions on page 22 of the manual are wrong... its says to push the handle to loosen and then two steps down it says to push the handle to tighten.)

It's not illustrated or labeled very clearly (they call it an "adjusting lever"), but in the parts list it shows some kind of device that the tensioning handle works to move the right side adjusting rod (again, poorly labeled as "support motor bracket") back or forward. The two tensioning screws are used only to tighten the motor adjusting rods in place. (It appears that they actually tighten against these rods, like a setscrew.)

Basically, this adjustment mechanism seems rather straightfoward, and I don't see any reason why it should not operate with ease. With the rear belt removed and the tension screws loose, you should be able to grasp the motor assembly and slide it in or out of the rear of the housing (well, I wouldn't try to move it all the way out of the housing... but it should slide back and forth easily).

If it doesn't move easily, then you might want to have someone look at it, or at least lubricate those rods.

You mentioned that the screws feel like they are simply screws all the way in and not hitting anything. Is it possible that the motor is actually position so far back, that the tension screws are actually in front of the rods and thus jamming and preventing the rods from moving forward? If so, I can't imagine how you got the belts on at all. (Remember, the smaller belt goes in the rear and the larger belt in the front.)

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

This is a long shot but check the length of the belts, they are not the same length per the parts sheet. If the belts were reversed in position it might account for the adjustment problem. The belts are 25 and 27 inch, so there is not much difference between them. Per the parts sheet the longer belt goes between the spindle pulley and the idler pulley.

This design has been around for a long time. it is the same as my Craftsman (made by Emerson) DP from the early 1980s which is still going strong.

Look at pages 2 and 4 in the parts sheet for exploded diagrams which will help understand how it is supposed to function and to ID various parts.

update: Should have read all of CWS's response first as he said just about the same thing I did, but much more eloquently as he usually does.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 11-19-2010, 05:32 AM. Reason: added comment
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by papawd View Post
                      BadgerDAve where did You locate the link belts ? This may be an option if they will be easier to move from pulley to pulley....
                      I got mine from Grizzly but many places sell them. Just make sure you get the correct size. My drill press is not a RIDGID so I'm not sure what size their pulleys are but mine needed the 3/8" link belts and some places only sell the 1/2" size belts.

Comment

Working...
                      X