X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dyson vacuums

I hate, truly hate, with a passion I reserve for few things and fewer people this crap crap crappity crap crap.

'Neodymium magnets'

'digital' motor.

just wtf is a f'ing 'digital' motor? you f'ing lying bastard f's?

g'damn lisping English accented ***.

When, oh, God, WHEN will people stop being idiots and quit buying marketing?
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: dyson vacuums

But Alex.. its Swiss engineering

Comment

Our 11 year old sears canister was dying a slow death and the wife has been bugging me to get a dyson so I started looking at them - what a cheap POS, the hose is what you get on a $69 shark! The no bags plastic collector may work well in a lab but in the real world with static and pet hair you just have a mess. The retail price point is insanity but like you pointed out they market this thing as the best 'invention' ever so they price it way above the competition. She ended up borrowing one to show me how good it was and was upset when I called it a cheap POS. The motor on that thing screams at such a high pitch and volume that I could not use it without going to the shop for my ear plugs. I had already decided that central vac was going to happen even though she said the hoses are too heavy and she hated central vac because of that (the last time she used a central vac was 20 years ago - things have improved). The simple solution was a head to head test. I went out to Costco and bought the Hoover Wind Tunnel central vac system with install kit for $549 (on sale), the Dyson was $599 on sale! The deal was I would take the central back and get the Dyson if it could clean the carpets better or if the hose was really bad to manage on the central. Simple test was to vac the house with the Dyson, empty container vac again to show that there was little dirt/hair left in the carpet then try with the central (I just plugged in the central jammed the hose in the front and blocked the two other intake ports with tennis balls). The verdict on the hose was that it seemed much lighter than she expected and really was easy to use, the clincher was when I took off the steel collector pail and showed her the dog hair and a full 1 1/4 cups of sand (we have more sand in Pontypool than most beaches). Central vac installed

Comment

joey just needed it for a wedding gift. so i bought it

it's interesting to watch the cyclone of dirt go around

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          joey just needed it for a wedding gift. so i bought it

it's interesting to watch the cyclone of dirt go around

rick.
          Rick those are Your $20s spinning around and away !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Rick those are Your $20s spinning around and away !
            He also goes to the laundry mat to watch clothes spin around in the dryers

Comment

actually i go for a spin in 1 of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-y6rxMfcyo

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

only you Rick
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Well I have to chime in since I owned a Dyson for 8+ years now. So here is the story in how I ended up with a Dyson.

I have a cat that sheds enough hair every week to make two more cats. I owned Kenmore, Hoover, Eureka, Royal and many others. Everyone of them the motor burned out in a year or two dealing with my cat's hair.

So about 8 years ago I made the plunge and bought a Dyson. It was very costly for a vacuum cleaner but not as much as a Kirby or those special units I seen for sale that are super hypoallergenic that cost 2k - 4k. Well after 8 years of sucking up cat hair twice a week, cleaning the ashes out of my fireplace it still preforms like the day I bought it.

I did not buy it to all the marketing hype they have out there today, I bought it cause it was the only brand I did not buy that was under $1000 (Paid $475) I brought it over to my mothers house to use cause she said she still notices some dust and such after she vacuumed with her Hoover. When I came over she just did the vacuuming about an hour ago. We did it again with the Dyson and it pulled up a full canister of dirt still. Granted she did not go out and buy one but she does have me come by once a month to do a deep cleaning of her carpeting.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Thanks Ron, have you had a chance to see the newer ones? Just wondering how the material quality compairs to your older one. The one I saw looked and sounded cheap

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                      Thanks Ron, have you had a chance to see the newer ones? Just wondering how the material quality compairs to your older one. The one I saw looked and sounded cheap

Nope never got to try with a newer model. I know they made some improvments on the chamber (more free flowing) but I did notice other changes that I can not say are better or worse with out trying out a new one.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I installed a Nutone central vacuum 12 years ago. Cleans like no other vac I've ever had. That includes all Shop Vacs too. We spent some extra getting the 2 stage motor, power brush, HEPA filter and muffler. Probably in $1,000 range overall. Seems overkill now that we took all of the carpets out and just have hardwoods throughout.

Despite what my wife says, it turned out to be the best anniversary gift EVER!

I know people that have gone through 2 or 3 high dollar vacuums in the same amount of time.

I've borrowed Dysons from customers when cleaning up after myself and I'm not impressed. Sound decibels were fairly high too

Comment

Something about taking a standerd product and selling it for huge money just because of good advertising is genious. Pure genious. lets face it McDonalds sure doesn't make the best burgers but they sure sell a bunch. Just genious

Comment

Our house has a NuTone central system and it was installed when the house was built 20 years ago. Its still going strong. Wife likes that she does not have to drag the vac around, just the hose. I have thought about if I could add a cyclone separator upstream to capture the majority of dirt in a trash can. The bags last long enough, that is not the issue. Just wondering if a separator would do for a central vac what is does for a dust collector or shop vac out in the shop. The unit is mounted in the garage so there is no noise in the house except for the air being sucked in the hose. you can literally vacuum in the same room as someone is sleeping, as has happened to me when I have fallen asleep watching a football game and the wife comes through and vacuums.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

about 30 years ago, I bought the pipe and out lets (similar to a nutone) sears central vacuum system, now I had a shop vac, and bought a 120 volt relay for the switch system and plugged in the shop vacuum to the relay and adapted the shop vacuum to the suction side of it, and put it in a closet,

we have used it now for near 30 years, actually wore out one vacuum on it, and so I bought the best vacuum replacement head From Granger's, and made my own canister out of a 15 gallon or (100 pound grease drum) and used a abs pipe inside and dropped it to the bottom of the drum and put fingers on it about 2.5 inches (original tried slots) the slots were hard to clean and collected lint, and then add about 3" of water to the bottom of the drum, the now 20 year old vacuum is dust free, non clogging and makes it very easy to see what was vacuumed up and can be retrieved, easily, (the number of toys and small items we have retrieved is amazing),
                              we do need to empty the container after each use (is the only draw back on the system), but I got the water filter Idea after a "Rainbow" vacuum sales many stopped by. and my folks at one time had a "Rexair" the Rexair was a good unit,

we still use the central vacuum but less not that we have removed most carpets out of the house since we put in hard wood floors, and we enjoy the look and the clean of the hard wood greatly,

many times for small spot clean up now my wife take My small 2 gallon shop vac, and uses that, for a $69 vac, it works well, (at this point I do not think I am getting the little shop vac back).

my wife did wear out the power head and hose on the central vac a few times,
                              my wife has allergies and she uses a vacuum a lot, especialy when we had carpets in the house,
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                              X