Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Global Warming Debate

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    Actually, that's a good argument for switching to NG as a bridge fuel, converting methane to CO would make it 400 times less potent as a greenhouse gas and we'd be keeping the money here at home instead of funneling funds into Al Qeada
    We are swimming in Natural Gas in Australia and selling to to china for cents per litre and I cannot understand why our government dosen`t force all cars to change to NG lets say within the next ten years and give petrol the *** and cut down on polution which is a real human made problem world wide.

Tony

Comment

Wasn't the government saying we were heading into another ice age 25 years ago ?

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
        Wasn't the government saying we were heading into another ice age 25 years ago ?
        In the movie "The Day After Tomorrow", they say melting of polar ice causes the oceans to desalinate and all that leads to a new iceage. Don't know if that is a real theory or just made up for the movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKhnU...eature=related
        Last edited by Frankiarmz; 11-30-2010, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Brings a tear to my eye.
          then you are standing too close to the fire.

Poor Lou Dobbs, flew too close to the sun and got burned, now he has no venue from which to say his piece. I wonder how his radio show is making out? It's not carried anywhere within receiving range of me. I guess if I had sat radio I could listen, but I'm not in the truck enough to justify that. I wonder if he still plans to run for Governor of NJ?
          Last edited by Bob D.; 11-30-2010, 11:47 AM.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Bob, I was on Youtube looking for a video clip having to do with theories on global warming and the next iceage when I came across the one I posted. I don't know much about dobbs, thought he was going to be on fox news?

Kind of annoying and confusing that even with supposed experts in the field, there are many different theories about the impact of global warming, man's ability to change it and how the next iceage will come about.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
              We are swimming in Natural Gas in Australia and selling to to china for cents per litre and I cannot understand why our government dosen`t force all cars to change to NG lets say within the next ten years and give petrol the *** and cut down on polution which is a real human made problem world wide.

Tony

Tony, I can't speak for Australia because I'm not sure how the political system is set up there, but my guess is it's similar to America.

In America, most laws and legislation are written by large corporations, then "sold" to the public by our political puppets as somehow beneficial to the public. (Such as the banking deregulation in 1999 that lead to the recession we're now in, we were told it would "create wealth" if we eliminated Glass-Steagall, instead it has crushed the middle class, but did create massive wealth for banking executives.)

It's basically bribery, but labelled campaign funding and special interest lobbying as if that makes it legal or Constitutional.

In other words, Exxon, BP, Valero (Whom Governator Arnie recently publicly lambasted for this, hats off to Arnie!) and the other large oil companies pay money to politicians in the form of campaign funds, this then ensures laws and regulations are written to favor them, regardless what's in the best interest of the whole.

We are also setting on a bucket load of natural gas, but as long as Exxon and the others are able to buy our government, we can forget any possible laws that might hurt their profits that also effectively cut into the campaign contributions they make...gotta love Democracy.

Oddly enough, while oil companies lay claim to creating jobs, they fail to disclose the massive number of jobs a gas industry would create, INSIDE America.

Luckily, in America, the law still requires political campaign funds to be publicly disclosed, take a peek at your favorite politicians source of payola here - http://www.opensecrets.org/

You can also research corporations, for giggles I looked up Emerson Electric (Ridgid's parent co) http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/cli...tric&year=2010.

It seems Emerson has backed away from campaign funding in recent times, likely a smart move with the recent increased public awareness to the topic.

Comment

[QUOTE=DuckButter;319387]
                Tony, I can't speak for Australia because I'm not sure how the political system is set up there, but my guess is it's similar to America.

Our political system is the same as yours corrupted
                by money where the everyday punter has no say for when we vote them in they do exactly the oppsite to what they voted for.
                I look at our two party political systems as a relay race where the party in government hands the same batton onto the opposition when they are voted in and nothing changes and our democracies are all smoke and mirrors and we are the loosers because the majority of citizens couldn`t give a dam and it is world wide.

Tony

Comment

Tony, maybe your man Julian Assange can change that, he's the Australian founder of Wikileaks.

Nothing like a pungent dose of transparency to thwart a worldwide plutonomy.

Comment

Tony, maybe your man Julian Assange can change that, he's the Australian founder of Wikileaks.

And Hilary Clinton and Palin wonts to jail him we carn`t win.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                      And Hilary Clinton and Palin wonts to jail him we carn`t win.

Tony
                      Palin's missing a few screws, but she can see Russia from her window so it's ok fer da mamma grizzly to be a little nuts, but what happened to "less government"? (Yeah, I was here a few years ago actually applauding McCain for picking her to run...what I didn't know then I do now.)

Hilary screwed the pooch by continuing foreign policies (Rove & Cheney's cloak and dagger, run the government like an X-files repeat routine) set by the Bush admin and she got caught.

If she's forced to resign it's small price for transparency to reshift the power back to the people, AKA Democracy.

If officials continue ranting over Wikileaks, it only makes them look worse, as with any public figure who openly does for the fact that they'll be seen as trying to hide something.

At any rate, all that branching from the mention of corporate special interests and their influence, control, over public concensus and political decision making as it relates to solutions to global warming.

I really think this guy Julian Assange could make a big difference in the way voters see how our government really operates, a desperately needed thing, albeit with a few casualties and collateral damage along the way.

Comment

Wikileaks are doing what our media should be doing in our so called free democracies and our governmnents should not be allowed to hide behind national security and all the leaks have been minor embarrassment and nothing that puts the lives in danger other than the guilty who should be named and brought before our civilian courts.

Tony

PS
                        Are you trying telling me that Sarah Palin is a couple of bricks short of a load or missing a couple of sheep in the top paddock as I thought she was going to be your next prisident and talk just like our prime minister with a drool

Comment

I'm sure its a total coincidence that he is now on Interpol's Most Wanted List. Couldn't have anything to do with recent document releases by Wikileaks right??
                          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                            I'm sure its a total coincidence that he is now on Interpol's Most Wanted List. Couldn't have anything to do with recent document releases by Wikileaks right??
                            Oh, absolutely....and Interpol is constantly prioritizing "sex crimes" in it's global pursuit of war criminals and perpetrators of genocide.

Comment

I have several different thougths running through my head with all this wiki leaks discussion. "I can handle the truth", and I want my government to act in a responsible manner, however at the same time I think there is a need for state secrets. Where and who draws the line on what information goes beyond embarassing and puts the lives of good people at risk? Does wiki leaks also expose the classified documents or state secrets of communist china and the other world powers?

No doubt our great government which stands for democracy has blood on it's hands, but what about the rest of world powers? I think if we are going to turn over rocks and let the sunshine in, it should be done across the board.

What happens next? Now that all these secret documents have been made public does our government change it's behavior, will any world power decide to conduct itself any differently as a result of wiki leaks? Does this just become another sensational news story that goes away?

I want answers, I want the truth.

Comment

I think our diplomats need to be able to communicate with the state department in private. If some King says something to a US diplomat privately, or some official we need to deal with is a liar, the state department needs that to inform their decision making. If we out everything one of our allies says to us, they will not be as candid. If we have to deal with people who we know dissemble, it is better for us to be able to choose whether or not to call them on it; rather than having it outed publicly.

I think that this release has definitely hurt American interests, and the leaker should be charged with treason and espionage. If Assange were ever dumb enough to enter some US controlled area, he should be arrested too.

I do agree that our allies are not our allies because they like us, but rather it is in their self interest; so we'll manage to weather this incident.

Comment

Working...
                                X