Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Effect Snow

Lake Effect Snow

It sounds really cool. First time I've heard it used in weather.

"I got 'Lake Effect Snow' going on in my back yard."
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Lake Effect Snow

I'll show you what "lake effect snow" looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-gRb_MuUgg

I remember my mother once telling me, "I was listening to the radio for the weather when the announcer was about to read off the wind chill factor when he stopped and said with a laugh, 'You don't even want to know!'"
    Last edited by tailgunner; 12-03-2010, 12:49 AM.

Comment

It's always cool when they have a picture of a dude in the snow in a caveman like stance.

You know it's bad. lol

We got snow coming tonight/tomorrow. 4"

We'll survive. I got 9 gallons of milk and 40 loafs of bread.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
        Lake Effect Snow

It sounds really cool. First time I've heard it used in weather.

"I got 'Lake Effect Snow' going on in my back yard."
        It loses some of it's appeal after the first 87 times you experience it.

Comment

it might rain here tomorrow

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            it might rain here tomorrow

rick.
            Oh, you poor boy. I feel so sad!

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post

We got snow coming tonight/tomorrow. 4"

We'll survive. .
              Are you sure you'll survive?
              When I was in Louisville it spit about 1/16th" of snow and cars where all over the roads and in the ditch. The even canceled a bunch of schools.

4" is probably enough to cripple that city. Better get on the phone call to FEMA now.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                4" is probably enough to cripple that city. Better get on the phone call to FEMA now.
                Reminds me of the time back in the late 60's when I was stationed at Ft. Rucker, Alabama. We got about 1" of snow and it was hilarious watching the locals try and deal with it. Vehicles in the ditch all over the place and IIRC they even canceled school that day. I just snickered as I passed all those stranded motorists with my 56 Buick Roadmaster with the balled tires. Controlled doughnuts in an empty parking lot are great fun.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  Controlled doughnuts in an empty parking lot are great fun.
                  I prefer to think of that as "research", at least thats what I tell the police when they show up.

Seriously though, as fun as it is, it teaches you a lot about how to handle your car during a slide on real road conditions.

I took my niece out to a parking lot last winter when she got her permit.
                  At first she was freaked out just to brake hard and slide.
                  Imagine her driving in traffic having no idea how her car is going to react if she needs to brake hard in snow.

She also learned how to slightly turn into a skid and not over steer or just freak out and stomp on the brakes.

These are skills that can not be learned in a book, and are much better learned in an empty parking lot rather than through trial and error on the road.
                  Plus it's fun as beat all
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I Live within 20 miles of lake Mi Steve..............I know lake effect snow.

Comment

We used to practice on the lakes. After we got the hang of it, we would tie a rope to the trailer hitch and do a little "winter water skiing".Better be sure to have on winter underwear!!

Comment

Working...
                      X