X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defending Christmas

I know the winter holiday season is not all about Christmas, but I feel Christmas in particular is under attack. Seems every year there is another loss in terms of expressing this traditional American holiday. No more displays on public property, even when the majority of folks are in favor. No more "Merry Christmas" greetings in stores, only "happy holidays". "Christmas Village, and Christmas Town" are now referred to as "holiday village & holiday town".

I am open to a respectful expression and display of other winter holidays, regardless of the religious or national origin. I just wish those who are opposed to the mention or display of Christmas would be "tolerant" and practice what they want of others.

While I still can, I would like to wish all those who celebrate Christmas a very healthy, peaceful and enjoyable holiday. All together, Merry Christmas. Frank B.

Re: Defending Christmas

Merry Christmas everyone!

Comment

I to see it more and more.

It leaves me wondering just how far we are from not flying the American flag out of fear of offending someone??????

Merry Chri.........Oops, sorry. I mean Happy Holidays everyone!

Come to think of it. Even saying Happy Holidays could be offensive to some. Some religions don't celebrate any type of "holiday" this time of year. What of their feelings??? Does the word Holiday not derive from "holy day"???

The heck with this, being PC is just too exhaustive.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!! and before the Ministry of truth comes knocking down my door, I minds well get this out of the way to: HAPPY 4th of July AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
        I to see it more and more.

It leaves me wondering just how far we are from not flying the American flag out of fear of offending someone??????

Merry Chri.........Oops, sorry. I mean Happy Holidays everyone!

Come to think of it. Even saying Happy Holidays could be offensive to some. Some religions don't celebrate any type of "holiday" this time of year. What of their feelings??? Does the word Holiday not derive from "holy day"???

The heck with this, being PC is just too exhaustive.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!! and before the Ministry of truth comes knocking down my door, I minds well get this out of the way to: HAPPY 4th of July AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Gene, I think you offended the british with that last comment!

Comment

.....I would like to wish all those who celebrate Christmas a very healthy, peaceful and enjoyable holiday. All together, Merry Christmas. Frank B

You can't say things like that on a pubic forum. I have my rights, and they are protected by the Constitution. I'll sic my lawyer and the ACLU on you for making remarks like that. How dare you expose me to such talk. The mere mention of that word is offensive to me, don't you know that? If you didn't you should have, I shouldn't even have to tell you. I'll sue, that's what I'll do by golly. This is just un-American, being forced to listen to this and then have to read it even.

...I hope you realize I am just kidding.

Merry Christmas to ALL,
          and a Happy New Year to boot!!

For those of you who don't recognize Christmas just do what I do when I hear or see reference to the practices of other religions this time of the year...ignore them.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

For those of you who don't recognize Christmas just do what I do when I hear or see reference to the practices of other religions this time of the year...ignore them.

Come on Bob get with the program! It's 2010. You cannot "ignore" someone else's beliefs. That makes you a bigot!

Obviously, this is some kind of typo. You didn't mean "ignore" you meant "embrace"..........................
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              I know the winter holiday season is not all about Christmas, but I feel Christmas in particular is under attack. Seems every year there is another loss in terms of expressing this traditional American holiday. No more displays on public property, even when the majority of folks are in favor. No more "Merry Christmas" greetings in stores, only "happy holidays". "Christmas Village, and Christmas Town" are now referred to as "holiday village & holiday town".

I am open to a respectful expression and display of other winter holidays, regardless of the religious or national origin. I just wish those who are opposed to the mention or display of Christmas would be "tolerant" and practice what they want of others.

While I still can, I would like to wish all those who celebrate Christmas a very healthy, peaceful and enjoyable holiday. All together, Merry Christmas. Frank B.
              sorry, but Christmas is NOT a traditional American Holiday

it's a long read but ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Well, everybody has their own take on the holiday, whatever they call it. Perhaps "Happy Holidays" is just sort of a social generality to make sure you catch everybody's feelings. I don't take such things all that seriously or for that matter, do I get offended. Certainly "Merry Christmas" is my take, and I offer all that I see, a "Merry Christmas". If they are of some other religious belief, than I'm sure they accept the good wishes under the label that I offer it. I don't find it offending to be offered their greetings either, whatever thier label may be.

Perhaps I live in an unusual part of the country, I really don't know. But in my area I still see colored lights, greetings, and banners on the streets. Many say "Merry Christmas" and a lot say "Season's Greetings" and "Happy Holidays". I find none of them "offending" and frankly I've always looked at it in general terms. I have many acquintenances that are Jewish, and many friends that are of various backgrounds and heritages. I don't feel offended by thier beliefs or thier customs and I don't think that I offend them with mine.

I think we forget that here in America, we celebrate a very commercial Christmas... much of it driven by the quest for profit and for "bargain"! This kind of "Christmas" didn't exist here a hundred years ago. Every year the Christmas shopping season gets earlier and earlier, and as such I find the only offense to be, that many of us have simply forgotten what Christmas is about.

If you disagree, I think all you have to do is look at how much emphasis is placed on "Black Friday" (a term that didn't exist 20 years ago). I wonder some time, if those standing in line at those 3:00 AM sales are feeling all that Christian, in their zest to push and shove past their fellow shoppers in order to be one of the fortunate, who get that computer or wide-screen TV?

Regarding "Happy Holidays" I never found that particularly a problem, after all, there is "Christmas" and "New Years" and often we wish our friends and family the best of both holidays; and, of course, there are those of other faiths too who share the season.

So, Merry Christmas to all, and Happy Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa too. And for those who are not religious or whose beliefs are different, may this time of year be full of love and peace for the season of year's end and new beginnings.

For all you statistical types, whatever your beliefs, here's a bit of interest too: http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea...cb10-ff23.html

CWS

Comment

If it has food, music and good times? I'm In
                  Oh by the way Merry Christmas everyone
                  People tick me off! "I'm so offended bla bla bla" Learn to enjoy everyone's holidays.
                  Then there will be a lot more good times going on and a lot less complaining..........
                  Rod
                  MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                  Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                  http://unclognh.com
                  http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                    sorry, but Christmas is NOT a traditional American Holiday

it's a long read but ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas
                    I may have used the wrong words, but the tradition of celebrating Christmas in America is a long one. That is what I meant.
                    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_did_A...ting_Christmas

Comment

I own the website for my local city that has "ChristmasWalk" as the domain itself.

14 years it has been called that, and I'll defend that forever.

We're predominant white Christians in my community... you don't like that? GTFO.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        I may have used the wrong words, but the tradition of celebrating Christmas in America is a long one. That is what I meant.
                        http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_did_A...ting_Christmas
                        true, but not as long as most of the "celebrating" world.

i'm not a believer but i don't bash others beliefs. to me christians, jews, muslims, hindu, etc are all believing in a fantasy i prefer not to delve in.

to ME, christmas is a time of family and a kindred spirit that unites all people waiting for freaking winter to get over and enjoy the warmth of spring & summer before it all turns around again

just my $.02 before taxes

have your beliefs and enjoy them. just don't foist them on me
                        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                          I own the website for my local city that has "ChristmasWalk" as the domain itself.

14 years it has been called that, and I'll defend that forever.

We're predominant white Christians in my community... you don't like that? GTFO.
                          let's just abandon the Constitution, except for the parts you want to keep for your own agenda

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                            let's just abandon the Constitution, except for the parts you want to keep for your own agenda
                            I wouldn't come to your community and change tradition, I expect it to be the same at mine. Just because someone moves in that doesn't believe in christmas makes the rest suffer and switch.

Jewish people don't push their religion around, and I have absolutely no issue with it. Can't make me eat their food, but I wouldn't proclaim foul if they had a festival celebrating their religion.

Same with italians; I can go to an italian festival worshipping the meatball or spaghetti without idiots trying to pull the focus to them instead of the tradition.

Kapish? Kapish.

There is no issue here.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Best thing I've heard all year, Jon Stewart at the rally to restore sanity "First, you go, then, I go, then you go, then I go..."

I find myself wondering, where Jon is Jewish, does he feel that America isn't defending Hanukkah?

I was raised Catholic, though I may miss seeing everything being Christmas when I was a kid or hearing Bing Croeby singing white Christmas every ten minutes, I acknowledge the opposite if the bulk of the population suddenly became atheist and decided to defy anyone the right to publicly display anything of a religious nature at all.

Thank God for the first amendment, even if it means dealing with "You go, I go, You go, I go".

Happy Holidays - everyone.
                              Last edited by DuckButter; 12-07-2010, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X