X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best and Worst Run States In America

Bob D: Thinking of relocating? This might help you decide.

24/7 Wall St. has completed one of the most comprehensive studies of state financial management ever performed by the mainstream media. It is based on evaluation principles used in the award-winning Best Run States In America ratings published by the Financial World Magazine during the 1990s. These studies were used by state governments to evaluate the efficiency of their own operations. The new 24/7 Wall St. study is meant to help businesses and individuals examine state operation with an unbiased eye.

The best run state is Wyoming. The Worst is Kentucky. The standing of each is supported by their ranking in the data sets we considered, as are the rankings of all fifty states.
    Read more: http://247wallst.com/2010/10/04/the-...-of-all-fifty/
    Last edited by Bob D.; 12-09-2010, 06:23 AM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: The Best and Worst Run States In America

Hmmm, a rating by Wall Street on worst run companies! Is that calling the kettle black? I'll take KY any day over most of their selections, all Wall Street knows about KY is we don't wear any shoes!

Comment

The rating is not by Wall Street, the name of the website is "24/7 Wall St". The majority of the data evaluated comes from the FED in the form of Census Bureau data, BLS statistics, FBI Crime Reports, etc.

From their article referenced in my first post:
      Methodology:
      24/7 Wall St. considered data from a number of sources, including Standard & Poor’s, the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, the National Conference of State Legislators, the Bureau of Economic Analysis, and the National Association of State Budget Officers. The Bureau of Labor Statistics provided unemployment data, and the Bureau of Economic Analysis provided GDP per capita. Credit rating agency Standard & Poor’s provided credit ratings for all 50 states. A significant amount of the data we used came from the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey. Data from ACS included violent crime rate, unemployment rate, GDP per capita, percent below the poverty line, high school completion for those 25 and older, median household income, debt per capita, percent of the population without health insurance, and the change in occupied home values from 2006 to 2009. The ACS released its 2009 numbers on Tuesday, September 28th, 2010. These are the values we used in our survey. Once we reviewed the sources and compiled the final metrics, we ranked each state based on its performance in all the categories.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      ---------
      ---------

Comment

NY State is a $$#$% embarrassment.

Comment

I am surprised where they placed NJ, I would have put them a notch or two above California, because believe me this place is screwed up and the taxes are a killer.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 12-09-2010, 02:23 PM. Reason: fixed a spelling error
          ---------------
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

Interesting post Bob, thanks.

Comment

The great state of California may not have the best run government, but we definitely have the biggest.
              (I had to use an attachment because the list was too long)

Comment

As usual, Washington DC not on there.

I wonder why we are always excluded from these lists?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                  The great state of California may not have the best run government, but we definitely have the biggest.
                  (I had to use an attachment because the list was too long)
                  California Opinion Unit??....

what kind of effing state run agency is that?

Comment

Washington DC is not a state it's just there

Cactus Man

Comment

Well it is in a state of confusion, does that count for anything?
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

NH was actually doing pretty well under Democrat leadership ( oh gawd how I hate to admit that ) The unemployment rate is below the national average and though there are budget concerns and cut backs the economy is doing Ok, but NH is a small state with a pretty solid manufacturing base.
                        sigpic

Comment

Wow, I'm sort of shocked that NY is rated up there in the middle of this mess. As a NY lifer, I would have thought that they were only a step or two above California.

Here in NY we supposedly have the worst property tax of most any other state and my guess would have been that our crime rate was much higher too... but then again, I guess when they make up the crime statistics, they don't count the legislative body.

Boy I just feel so much better now, that I'll probably be able to sleep tonight, finally.

CWS

Comment

a few things to say....

first and mostest... TKS Bob D. Nice and intersesting thing to throw out there.

second... wassup with AK having the biggest debt per capita? don't they have a bunch of oil and whatnot? wtf? all went to state trooper alimony defense fund?

third....

half the country is going to be occupied/distracted deciding whether NY or CA is more f'ed up, regardless of overall standing. If NY and CA are bottomish, then what does it matter which is techniclly worst? These are the places we look to. Arbiters of style, residences of wealth, bastions of wisdom, one or the other, however you describe wisdom (for the record, my take is that Biggie schooled Tupac 8 days a week). Both utterly f'ed... what does this say for US as a whole?
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                            X