Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trust me...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trust me...

    We're all gonna' get f#@!ed.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...nternet-access

    Remember who did it if you want to get rid of them.

    And get some Comcast stock.


    J.C.

  • #2
    Re: Trust me...

    Al Franken, the Democrat senator, said the vote would decide "the most important free speech issue of our time"


    I feel the wool being pulled over our eyes.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Trust me...

      This seems to all revolve around "content" in terms of access and profit, actual content such as porn, how to build bombs and make drugs is a nonissue. I'm not for strict government interference but it would be nice for kids to use the Internet without the deluge of adult content. I'd also like to see something done about all the spam and all those scam emails.

      How many providers are pushing for this legislation? Do all of them want this price layering to take effect?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Trust me...

        I have been reading up on "net neutrality" and watching the News, but still can't quite understand what is happening and how it will impact us? I watch hours of streaming video a day, looks like that will change if providers can somehow charge for such access.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Trust me...

          What about all the folks that are now starting to stream netflix to watch movies. They are heavy bandwidth users.

          Thats the problem with a lot of regulations and laws that go into effect. Nobody understands em and so they can be enforced and interpreted in a lot of crappy ways. This one scares me a bit too.

          BTW... government regulating internet is not going to reduce spam. its a problem that people could make billions on solving and nobody has come up with a good solution.

          Josh

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Trust me...

            Originally posted by Josh View Post
            What about all the folks that are now starting to stream netflix to watch movies. They are heavy bandwidth users.

            Thats the problem with a lot of regulations and laws that go into effect. Nobody understands em and so they can be enforced and interpreted in a lot of crappy ways. This one scares me a bit too.

            BTW... government regulating internet is not going to reduce spam. its a problem that people could make billions on solving and nobody has come up with a good solution.

            Josh
            Josh, please explain some things about this issue. The folks who are heavy bandwidth users such as netflix users, do you want them to pay more for service, have different service? Do they slow down the Internet for those around them?

            I don't know exactly how to stop or reduce spam, but laws and enforcement might help. Myself and many folks signed up on the government do not call list, but telemarketers now realize it is a toothless dog! The way to reduce all those harassing phone calls is to go after and prosecute the offenders.

            If we could prove unsolicited, harassing spam in the form of emails, pop ups and so forth, why not create a law and prosecute? Unsuspecting consumers, and the elderly are often victims of criminals who use the Internet, telephones and mail to defraud. Maybe we need some new laws and enforcement?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Trust me...

              Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              I have been reading up on "net neutrality" and watching the News, but still can't quite understand what is happening and how it will impact us? I watch hours of streaming video a day, looks like that will change if providers can somehow charge for such access.
              Follow the money.

              Thats what its all about. Now that 15 years later practically the whole country is hooked on the WWW it is time to start making money off our addiction.

              They are no better than crack dealers. Now that we are hooked its time to cash in. This was planned from the git-go. Now its time to reap some profits for a few who have had years to align their organizations to profit greatly. Hold on to your wallets folks, its gonna get expensive.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Trust me...

                I don't want heavy bandwidth users to pay more. I am against over regulating the internet. I was just saying that netflix users are legitimate users that support a rapidly changing industry.

                in fact I am one of those netflix users

                Legitimate companies allow you to opt out of the emails that they send. The real SPAM that people get are likely because their email addresses are stolen and consolidated in big lists that they send ads to. Its a tough problem.

                Josh

                Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                Josh, please explain some things about this issue. The folks who are heavy bandwidth users such as netflix users, do you want them to pay more for service, have different service? Do they slow down the Internet for those around them?

                I don't know exactly how to stop or reduce spam, but laws and enforcement might help. Myself and many folks signed up on the government do not call list, but telemarketers now realize it is a toothless dog! The way to reduce all those harassing phone calls is to go after and prosecute the offenders.

                If we could prove unsolicited, harassing spam in the form of emails, pop ups and so forth, why not create a law and prosecute? Unsuspecting consumers, and the elderly are often victims of criminals who use the Internet, telephones and mail to defraud. Maybe we need some new laws and enforcement?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Trust me...

                  Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  I have been reading up on "net neutrality" and watching the News, but still can't quite understand what is happening and how it will impact us? I watch hours of streaming video a day, looks like that will change if providers can somehow charge for such access.
                  Whenever the government proposes wordy and complicated legislation to solve a non-problem, while proclaiming that is in the people's interest, you can be 100% sure that it's really about a special interest wanting to create a framework for charging you more money. Not 98%, not 99%.

                  There are probably some smart (and simple) things that the FCC could do to protect the internet for both website owners and internet users. There are some real problems that affect us all, in the areas of security and invasion of privacy through covert data gathering. This nonsense doesn't address those things. Keep in mind, it's the same FCC that has allowed the cable tv companies to screw us, with no end in sight.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Trust me...

                    Yes, NetFlix is something I use too and like it. However, I recently heard that most evenings NetFlix streams to end users consume close to 75% of the available bandwidth and growing. Thats a mouthful of bytes for sure. Now the dish networks and cable providers are not happy about that because it takes viewers away from traditional TV, which they have pretty much locked up and are making a killing on. They don't want their cash cow to dry up, so they are fighting the competition (NetFlix and others) as best they can, by using their lobbyists and political friends to their advantage.

                    Capitalism at work, situation normal.

                    We who subscribe to internet services have already paid for the bandwidth in our monthly fees. Whatever the throughput you have contracted for that is between you and your provider, what you use that bandwith for should be none of their concern (as long as it is legal). for comcast or any other ISP to restrict their network or block competitive sources of entertainment (netflix) or other content infringes on you/me the end user and our contract for internet access.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X