Daughter is going to College

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Daughter is going to College

ron, who's going to help you pull jetter hose when she's off to college?

phoebe has 18 more years before she goes to college

tell her congratulations from all her roundup friends

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

That's great Ron! My daughter is heading to college next year as well. She's still undecided what she wants to do so it's off to community college for a couple of years. That's fine with me, she can stay at home longer that way!

I've been putting away $500 a month for 4 years now against college. It's a start at least. She's been going to a private school so the money spent on that will continue to go toward her education.

Tell your daughter congrats, she's on her way!
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

http://www.scholarships.com/financia...-scholarships/
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark, thank you much for that link. I just showed it to Stephie, and she is all excited and reading it over now.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          Ron's Facebook
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

When I went to college I got no need based aid. Knowing it was a futile effort, I never even filled out the forms; so I can't give any advice on that. For merit based things, the best advice I can give her is to apply for as much as she can as often as she can. Just because you don't get it in year 1 or 2, doesn't mean you won't get it in year 3 or 4. I went to a state school ten years ago, so my tuition was only $3,400; but I managed to cover all of that plus a bit by cobbling together a bunch of scholarships. $2,000/year from the University, $750 from an Alumni association scholarship. I think $3,500 from Ericsson, $1500 from the University Association. When you have to write an essay, take the time to figure out what the interest of the person giving the scholarship is; and make sure that you match that [while staying honest].

My wife managed to get even more money than I did (but had room and board to pay for so didn't come out ahead). She won a pretty nice scholarship from the founder of a local technology company, which she turned into an internship, and after graduation her current job. The networking value (especially of the small ones) can be worth more than the money.

Comment

Re: Daughter is going to Collage

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Your all wrong
              COLLEDGE
              LEDGE like a cliff you dummazzes
              Do you mean the cliff the father jumps off when the kid drops out after three years??
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Ron Congrats to you and Stephie , she will do great she has her fathers work ethic

Comment

Ron, congrats. My daughter looked into scholarships several years prior to needing them, and we did take advantage of financial aid according to our income to offset the almost $50,000 a year tuition. She graduated Cornell, phi beta kappa this year. On a more personal note, although she and I butted heads quite often I cried like a baby just before she left for college. Leaving for college really turns a page, no more little girl living at home.

Comment

Congrats on getting her there ron
                    Im glad mine are all out finally
                    It goes fast but the money goes even faster

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      Ron, congrats. My daughter looked into scholarships several years prior to needing them, and we did take advantage of financial aid according to our income to offset the almost $50,000 a year tuition. She graduated Cornell, phi beta kappa this year. On a more personal note, although she and I butted heads quite often I cried like a baby just before she left for college. Leaving for college really turns a page, no more little girl living at home.
                      Yeah, went through that with 2 girls, both now graduated and married off to boot in the past year.
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        Yeah, went through that with 2 girls, both now graduated and married off to boot in the past year.

Leaving home is the part I'm not looking forward to.
                        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

All six of our kids attended schools out of State. Brenda cried like a baby as each one left but I felt it was an important part of growing up. It's funny how one wants to kick them out of the nest to learn and the other wants to keep them in to protect them.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            All six of our kids attended schools out of State. Brenda cried like a baby as each one left but I felt it was an important part of growing up. It's funny how one wants to kick them out of the nest to learn and the other wants to keep them in to protect them.

Mark
                            mark with 2 cops and an apache army major, who's protecting who

i think snowball and copper are your protection now

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              mark with 2 cops and an apache army major, who's protecting who

i think snowball and copper are your protection now

rick.
                              See it worked!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
                                Mark, I was sad because it marked a passing of time that while part of growing up made me feel a loss. I never held the girls back from exploring the world around them, the good things and bad. I pushed to have them drive and learn other life skills. That night before she left for college just hit me hard, I felt like things would never be the same, I felt old.

Comment

Working...
                                X