Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
FINALLY! Some great Christmas news...CanuckSARTech soon to be CanuckCUFFTech!!! Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINALLY! Some great Christmas news...CanuckSARTech soon to be CanuckCUFFTech!!!

Well, finally, it's done.

It's been a trying couple of years for me. But, earlier this week, relief.

I've just recently been informed that I've made it - I'm soon to become a full-fledged POLICE OFFICER!!!!

Everyone's been informed in my immediate family and friends, so I can share the wonderful news with my online family!

I went to college for "Police Foundations" about 6 years ago. I had a number of years' experience already in private security and VIP close protection work, and various elements just drew me to the law enforcement field. When initially done school after graduating with an Honours diploma, and going through a number of different interviews, I was met with some roadblocks. I was in my mid-20's, and things just didn't pan out with different services based on them and I at the time (IE - too young, too old, too male, too white, etc., etc.).

So, I stepped back from things to do what many recruiters said (get some further "life experience" outside of the security realm, and come back to us in your 30's). I got me The Wife (we were dating before and while I was in college), and I got myself a great job at the time in an automotive industry plant locally. Great pay, a great wife, and we started the great family. Just as we were buying our first house at the end of 2006, I got laid off. Struggled with a number of side-jobs and contracting gigs, and ended up getting back on the horse and brought back from lay-off. Things rolling again, and after being married for about 2 years and enjoying our honeymoon time, we had Mini-Me. Wife, an RN, just about to come back from maternity leave, and we found out I was getting laid-off again.

So, I became Mr. Mom for a period of time (as many of you know), about a year or so. Loved it. Absolute best thing that could happen to me in this very hard and depressing period of lackluster employment. I can easily say, with this main huge experience, I've come out of it a better man/husband/father. Awesome.

Yet, last year and a bit has been jumping around from seasonal/temporary job here and there for a couple of local businesses. Some offers here and there for something permanent, but not something that would really work long-term for me. Just about nothing to be had these last few years that would even hit about 1/2 of what I was making 5 years ago, let alone 1/3 of what I was making 8 years back before school.

All these years, since during college, what's really kept me going with my drive was everything that I do with search and rescue. Very similar to volunteer firefighters, the SAR stuff that I do locally is very specific and astute in the skills needed, and is very high-professionalism and highly skilled and time-intensive (done in conjunction with and side-by-side with different police forces). But, it wasn't a full-time, paying job. In Ontario here, it's all done on a volunteer basis - it's not a career field in Ontario really. I had to get on a police service to fully get paid for it, and get all the benefits of doing both the SAR thing and policing.

Now.....I just recently started the re-application process with a number of different agencies a few years ago (I'm 31 right now). Started specifically last fall in the application process to be a Canadian Forces Military Police officer. It's taken over 15 or so months, and 9 or 10 different stages, between interviews, medicals, apptitude tests, background checks, board reviews, etc., etc., etc., and this much time.

My final stage, just a bit ago, to go to a specific Canadian Forces base, and go through a very interesting and rigorous process of assessment and selection with A LOT of bigwigs and a number of other candidates who were all some highly-skilled competition for me. Multiple days of stress and excitement and intrigue, all mixed up together. A very cool experience.

And the results are in! I just found out this week that I'm one of those selected and good-to-go. I will be going away in the New Year at some point to go and get my training done and become a Canadian Forces Military Police member!!!! One of a few selected from one heck of a big number of other great applicants. I had/have a lot of strong suits and qualities (not trying to brag here), but some of those I was up against were just phenomenal. I have no idea how I rank, or who I specifically beat out, or anything like that. But, from the numbers I've been told, I'm very proud of my performance (from over a thousand in the initial application stages, to just under a couple hundred in this last stage, to only a very few dozen selected). In the new year, I'll get my specifics, and they'll let me know my dates and timelines to look at, and then I go from there, get trained up, and after hopefully excelling at the academy, I'll get my uniform and badge.

FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!! I'm finally gonna get to shine and use my qualities and skills as a Police Officer!!!

Sorry for the long and bibliographic post. But, man.....BEST. CHRISTMAS. EVER.

Re: FINALLY! Some great Christmas news...CanuckSARTech soon to be CanuckCUFFTech!!!

WAY TO GO!

Great job Keith, I'm glad that your perseverance paid off.

Comment

Re: FINALLY! Some great Christmas news...CanuckSARTech soon to be CanuckCUFFTech!!!

Great news Keith!

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

What a great way to end the year and bring in the new year Congratulations!
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

very happy for you

joey wants to know if this means you'll have a better towel next time

so between marks kids and you, i think we have most of north america covered

so you going to sell off some of the tools of the trade?

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Congratulation!

I'm happy to read that you didn't let any of life's struggles stop you from reaching your goal. Hard struggles for sure but you've gotten through it all and with much deserved success!

A very Merry Christmas for sure!!!

Best wishes for a wonderful future.

CWS

Comment

Way to go Keith, but remember that we can take you down with one picture from the Roundup, so behave yourself. Maybe you should throw in the towel. Glad to hear things are going good for you.
              The Other Rick

Comment

Great news Keith. I am happy for you and it is nice to see someone so committed
                to something having their hard work pay off. I have no doubt that given the perseverance
                you've shown in getting this far that you will succeed in whatever the future holds for you.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Congrats Keith , your hard work pays off , you and your family have a great x-mas

Comment

Congratz!!!

Comment

Hi -

That's an AWESOME SUCCESS story!!

CONGRATULATIONS X 1000000000

And I wish you the very best - Be careful as well.

Also have a wonderful Holiday season!

Joseph
                      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                      New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                        FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!! I'm finally gonna get to shine and use my qualities and skills as a Police Officer!!!

Sorry for the long and bibliographic post. But, man.....BEST. CHRISTMAS. EVER.
                        Congratulations! It sounds like it was a long road but worth the time it took to travel it. Way to go!
                        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Congratulations! Remember tho, NO tickets for your Ridgid friends traveling in Canada!!

Comment

Congrats & Merry Christmas. Hope you ride this wave of joy for a long time to come. Now, where should we display our "Member of the Ridgid Forum" stickers to get out of jail?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              very happy for you

joey wants to know if this means you'll have a better towel next time

so between marks kids and you, i think we have most of north america covered

so you going to sell off some of the tools of the trade?

rick.
                              Nope, still have the towel. My legs may end up being in better shape next RoundUp, but they'll still be out there and hairy.

And no, my gear will be my own! No freebies! I do still have my cuffs from my old security jobs, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X