Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 100 Pounds Equals 2 Percent

Originally posted by BHD View Post
    Methanol is wood alcohol and when you "pass gas" it is methane or at least part methane, which is the main component in natural gas. .
    What was I thinking? I knew that. Senior moment.
    But, I would bet no one knows it like a farmer.

What is the added ingredient in natural gas that gives it it's aroma? And, what common vegetable also contains this chemical, which can give human urine a distinctive odor?

Comment

Any of you that are 50 lbs overweight can save 1.00 for every 100.00 you spend at the pump by losing the weight. Get busy.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
        Wind resistance causes most fuel use, so I drive at lower speeds; 50 in 55 mph zones always in the right lane. (Less dense air is why jets fly between 30 and 49,000 feet.)

Nothing in the windstream is far better th.an aerodynamic roof container.
        I have seen vehicles with a roof container when that stuff could have been packed in the vehicle. (Thief easily broke into someone's roof container and took everything.)
        I removed roof rack cross-members. Easily reinstall wheneeded.
        Fog lights on front, not projecting up from a roof rack.
        Ski rack removed whenot needed.

GENTLE accelerations. Increase speed as little as practical when going up hills.
        Coast up to red signals and stopped traffic by looking ahead and adjusting. Often signal turns green before I need to stop.
        Slightly rolling is better than starting up from a complete STOP.

Tires at full pressure to make them hard so less rolling resistance.
        Weight - haul as little weight as possible; removed never-used third row seats and trailer hitch.
        5W-20 oil as manual calls for. Who sells 0W-20 oil?
        I agree with what Robert said. Have you guys watched the Mythbuster episode on Discovery channel where they tested whether a pickup truck would be more fuel efficient with the back of the truck down? Even stuff like opening your vehicle windows affect the aerodynamics of your vehicle, leading to less fuel efficiency.

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        Any of you that are 50 lbs overweight can save 1.00 for every 100.00 you spend at the pump by losing the weight. Get busy.
        Haha That's true. But losing weight sounds much easier said than done
        Read my detailed review of the Makita BUB182Z Cordless Blower!

Comment

What is the added ingredient in natural gas that gives it it's aroma?
          Mercaptan is the odorant used in natural gas. Interestingly in Abington Township, PA (just outside Philadelphia) recently, some mercaptan was spilled and people were calling reports of natural gas leaks in the area.

A local high school was closed early because of a natural gas leak in Wilks-Barrie, PA also in the past couple weeks. The leak was caused by a utility pipeline upgrade project in the area.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
            What is the added ingredient in natural gas that gives it it's aroma? And, what common vegetable also contains this chemical, which can give human urine a distinctive odor?
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanethiol

Methanethiol (also known as methyl mercaptan) is a colorless gas with a smell like rotten cabbage. It is a natural substance found in the blood and brain of humans and other animal as well as plant tissues. It is disposed of through animal feces. It occurs naturally in certain foods, such as some nuts and cheese. It is also one of the main chemicals responsible for bad breath and the smell of flatus. The chemical formula for methanethiol is CH3SH; it is classified as a thiol. It is sometimes abbreviated as MeSH.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Methanethiol is a byproduct produced by the metabolism of asparagus.[2] The ability to produce methanethiol in urine after eating asparagus was once thought to be a genetic trait. However recent research suggests that the peculiar odor is in fact produced by all humans after consuming asparagus, while the ability to detect it (methanethiol being one of many components in "asparagus pee") is in fact the genetic trait.[3] The chemical components responsible for the change in the odor of urine show as soon as 15 minutes after eating asparagus.[4]
            this is what I found,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

2% ? I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by spoon View Post
                2% ? I don't care.
                Ok...send me a check for 2% of your gasoline bill for the year. Or...I do take paypal.

Comment

Let me put it this way, I don't have trouble buying a $5.00 cup of coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by spoon View Post
                    Let me put it this way, I don't have trouble buying a $5.00 cup of coffee.
                    Well it all makes sense now after you put it like that.Sorry I had no idea.

Comment

All kidding aside, You and Rick, to me, have the most admirable bus. models.

Comment

Methanethiol is a byproduct produced by the metabolism of asparagus.[2] The ability to produce methanethiol in urine after eating asparagus was once thought to be a genetic trait. However recent research suggests that the peculiar odor is in fact produced by all humans after consuming asparagus, while the ability to detect it (methanethiol being one of many components in "asparagus pee") is in fact the genetic trait.[3] The chemical components responsible for the change in the odor of urine show as soon as 15 minutes after eating asparagus.[4]

I saw the report on this recent research when it was published. Wonder if the trait has anything to do with tongue rolling?

Comment

The point of this thread is to inform you guys what you already know. Extra weight in your vehicle reduces gas mileage. Not only that but it causes wear on the whole suspension system.
                          Theres no need to haul it around if you dont need to......Its the new year so clean those trucks off...find all that material you dont even know you had......and save yourself some money and extend the life of your work truck in the process.

Comment

I have a GMC 2003 Sierra 2500 truck. I bought it new and have kept the gas mileage and fuel consumption records for the entire time. In town, 500 extra lbs lbs makes a difference of 0.1 - 0.3 mpg. On the interstate, that same 500lbs load increases my gas mileage by 0.3 mpg. This is an average of numerous trips with no load and loads up to 1000 lbs. Best mileage was a 750 mile trip. One way was with 700lb load. Return was no load. Loaded trip got .75 mpg better than no load. Running interstate speeds of 65 - 70 mph, I always get better mileage with up to 700 lbs than when running empty. Empty I always get better mileage interstate than in town (obviously, as its a 5200 lb vehicle).

Depends on engine, drive train, and driving conditions, not just weight. Running at optimum RPM for torque vs speed will get the best mileage. Most diesel engines work most efficiently between 50% - 75% load. Gasoline engines work best at their optimum torque RPM.

Its not as simple as "less pounds, = less fuel". In reality, its "fuel used vs payload moved vs miles moved".

I accept the premise that eliminating un-needed weight will result in less overall fuel consumption to a point. As I travel more "in-town" than interstate, I keep unnecessary weight to a minimum. Someone who runs 50 mile service calls on an interstate system may be better served with figuring their optimum weight.

If the vehicle companies were to get serious about fuel consumption, they would again start offering dual gear ratio differentials that were available in the 50s and 60s. On a standard 6000 lb work truck, the difference between a 4:11 differential good for in town, and a 3:57 for on the highway would make a big difference.

Go
                            Last edited by Gofor; 01-02-2011, 11:47 PM.
                            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
                              I have a GMC 2003 Sierra 2500 truck. I bought it new and have kept the gas mileage and fuel consumption records for the entire time. In town, 500 extra lbs lbs makes a difference of 0.1 - 0.3 mpg. On the interstate, that same 500lbs load increases my gas mileage by 0.3 mpg. This is an average of numerous trips with no load and loads up to 1000 lbs. Best mileage was a 750 mile trip. One way was with 700lb load. Return was no load. Loaded trip got .75 mpg better than no load. Running interstate speeds of 65 - 70 mph, I always get better mileage with up to 700 lbs than when running empty. Empty I always get better mileage interstate than in town (obviously, as its a 5200 lb vehicle).

Depends on engine, drive train, and driving conditions, not just weight. Running at optimum RPM for torque vs speed will get the best mileage. Most diesel engines work most efficiently between 50% - 75% load. Gasoline engines work best at their optimum torque RPM.

Its not as simple as "less pounds, = less fuel". In reality, its "fuel used vs payload moved vs miles moved".

I accept the premise that eliminating un-needed weight will result in less overall fuel consumption to a point. As I travel more "in-town" than interstate, I keep unnecessary weight to a minimum. Someone who runs 50 mile service calls on an interstate system may be better served with figuring their optimum weight.

If the vehicle companies were to get serious about fuel consumption, they would again start offering dual gear ratio differentials that were available in the 50s and 60s. On a standard 6000 lb work truck, the difference between a 4:11 differential good for in town, and a 3:57 for on the highway would make a big difference.

Go
                              Well sure if a mechanical device(vehicle) is "optimized" for a specific weight by mechanical means then naturally it will perform better at that weight.

The key here is EXCESS. When you have excess and we all know how a plumbers or any service truck can get....overloaded. Remove the excess and save some gas and wear and tear on the vehicle and the roadways.

Thanks for your participation.

Comment

Working...
                              X