X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 Pounds Equals 2 Percent

A news channel did a story on gas saving tips. The lady says that for every 100 pounds of weight removed from a vehicle you get 2% better gas mileage. Good to know info I think.

Re: 100 Pounds Equals 2 Percent

air Resistance has a lot to do with it as well, and IMO I do not really think weight has that much to do with it, (it does but only with in a given set of parameters),

take a semi truck some times the difference of loaded mileage VS, unloaded, many times is only a few miles per gallon,

on my 78 F350, empty gets about 12 some times 15 Mpg, hook on a trailer and load it with 12000 pounds of cattle and it will get 5 mph, one time I went on a long trip with it pulling a 24 foot flat bed with a 8 foot tall box built up on it, the whole unit weighed in at 32,000 the truck we got 5 mph,

I had a old 69 galaxy, 390 cu in, it weigh 4,135 pounds pounds and would get 20 to 22 mph and actually did better at high speeds than at 55, for the size of the car and the weight, it was very aerodynamic in shape,

my dad had 71 Chevy Impala with a 400 in it and it did 20 mpg on an average, (Impala depending on the trimmings 3,742-3,978 pounds)

the EPA and there requirements did more to hurt fuel economy than weight ever did,

and I think under powering the unit is harder on fuel economy than a power plant that can move the weight and air resistance, with room to spair than working for all it worth all the time,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      air Resistance has a lot to do with it as well, and IMO I do not really think weight has that much to do with it, (it does but only with in a given set of parameters),

take a semi truck some times the difference of loaded mileage VS, unloaded, many times is only a few miles per gallon,

on my 78 F350, empty gets about 12 some times 15 Mpg, hook on a trailer and load it with 12000 pounds of cattle and it will get 5 mph, one time I went on a long trip with it pulling a 24 foot flat bed with a 8 foot tall box built up on it, the whole unit weighed in at 32,000 the truck we got 5 mph,

I had a old 69 galaxy, 390 cu in, it weigh 4,135 pounds pounds and would get 20 to 22 mph and actually did better at high speeds than at 55, for the size of the car and the weight, it was very aerodynamic in shape,

my dad had 71 Chevy Impala with a 400 in it and it did 20 mpg on an average, (Impala depending on the trimmings 3,742-3,978 pounds)

the EPA and there requirements did more to hurt fuel economy than weight ever did,

and I think under powering the unit is harder on fuel economy than a power plant that can move the weight and air resistance, with room to spair than working for all it worth all the time,
      I think there figures are for cars/trucks/vans only and for stop and go city driving. Not trucks hauling trailers.

Hey if your getting the same gas mileage pulling 32,000 pounds with an 8' tall box built on a trailer as you are hauling 12000 pounds of cattle you might should patent that trailer. lol
      Last edited by TheMaster; 12-26-2010, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Hey if your getting the same gas mileage pulling 32,000 pounds with an 8' tall box built on a trailer as you are hauling 12000 pounds of cattle you might should patent that trailer. lol
        They raise a special breed of cattle; they are mostly square so that they can be stacked tightly for shipping. So when loaded on the flat bed three high they have the same configuration as that 8 foot high box trailer and hence roughly the same aerodynamic performance.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

So it's settled. the old lady can't ride with me anymore

Get yourself a 97 civic. they get 33 mpg with the air on
          sigpic

Comment

stop and go is a killer too.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              stop and go is a killer too. rick.
              Exactly. The biggest enemy of fuel economy is the brake. Rolling stops improve mileage by 20%.

Comment

I rarely brake, just use the horn, the window and a finger
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  I don't recommend such behavior in my neck of the woods.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7775151177192#

Comment

Now She tells Me !! I've had those 5 sacks of 4" Cast Iron
                    combos in the trunk of My Buick for Years $#@$%#
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                        ... every 100 pounds of weight removed from a vehicle you get 2% better gas mileage. Good to know info I think.
                        Wind resistance causes most fuel use, so I drive at lower speeds; 50 in 55 mph zones always in the right lane. (Less dense air is why jets fly between 30 and 49,000 feet.)

Nothing in the windstream is far better th.an aerodynamic roof container.
                        I have seen vehicles with a roof container when that stuff could have been packed in the vehicle. (Thief easily broke into someone's roof container and took everything.)
                        I removed roof rack cross-members. Easily reinstall wheneeded.
                        Fog lights on front, not projecting up from a roof rack.
                        Ski rack removed whenot needed.

GENTLE accelerations. Increase speed as little as practical when going up hills.
                        Coast up to red signals and stopped traffic by looking ahead and adjusting. Often signal turns green before I need to stop.
                        Slightly rolling is better than starting up from a complete STOP.

Tires at full pressure to make them hard so less rolling resistance.
                        Weight - haul as little weight as possible; removed never-used third row seats and trailer hitch.
                        5W-20 oil as manual calls for. Who sells 0W-20 oil?
                        Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-30-2010, 05:24 PM.
                        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Another facet they don't tell you is that the increased ethanol amount in the fuel also reduces its efficiency. 7% ethanol mix is 4.5% less efficient than pure gasoline. Pure ethanol is 65% as efficient as gas.

Go
                          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
                            Another facet they don't tell you is that the increased ethanol amount in the fuel also reduces its efficiency. 7% ethanol mix is 4.5% less efficient than pure gasoline. Pure ethanol is 65% as efficient as gas.

Go
                            Good point. But, maybe better to use 65% ethanol than 100% gasoline refined from middle eastern oil.

Here's an interesting chart,

Gasoline Gallon Equivalent (GGE) Table
                            Fuel Type
                            Unit of Measure
                            BTUs Per Unit
                            Gallon Equivalent
                            Gasoline, regular unleaded, (typical)
                            gallon
                            1.00 gallon
                            Gasoline, RFG, (10% MBTE)
                            gallon
                            1.02 gallons
                            Diesel, (typical)
                            gallon
                            0.88 gallons
                            Liquid natural gas (LNG), (typical)
                            gallon
                            1.52 gallons
                            Compressed natural gas (CNG), (typical)
                            cubic foot
                            126.67 cu. ft.
                            Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG or propane)
                            gallon
                            1.35 gallons
                            Methanol (M-100)
                            gallon
                            2.01 gallons
                            Methanol (M-85)
                            gallon
                            1.74 gallons
                            Ethanol (M-100)
                            gallon
                            1.50 gallons
                            Ethanol (E-85)
                            gallon
                            1.40 gallons
                            Bio Diesel (B-20)
                            gallon
                            0.88 gallons
                            Electricity
                            kilowatt hour
                            33.53 kwhr

I wonder which Methanol you produce when you pass gas.
                            Last edited by Plumbus; 12-30-2010, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                              I wonder which Methanol you produce when you pass gas.
                              Methanol is wood alcohol and when you "pass gas" it is methane or at least part methane, which is the main component in natural gas.

Compressed natural gas (CNG), (typical)
                              cubic foot
                              126.67 cu. ft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol
                              Methanol, also known as methyl alcohol, wood alcohol, wood naphtha or wood spirits, is a chemical with formula CH3OH (often abbreviated MeOH). It is the simplest alcohol, and is a light, volatile, colorless, flammable, liquid with a distinctive odor that is very similar to but slightly sweeter than ethanol (drinking alcohol).[3] At room temperature it is a polar liquid and is used as an antifreeze, solvent, fuel, and as a denaturant for ethanol. It is also used for producing biodiesel via transesterification reaction.

http://www.heptune.com/farts.html
                              What is fart gas made of?
                              The composition of fart gas is highly variable.
                              Most of the air we swallow, especially the oxygen component, is absorbed by the body before the gas gets into the intestines. By the time the air reaches the large intestine, most of what is left is nitrogen. Chemical reactions between stomach acid and intestinal fluids may produce carbon dioxide, which is also a component of air and a product of bacterial action. Bacteria also produce hydrogen and methane.
                              But the relative proportions of these gases that emerge from our anal opening depend on several factors: what we ate, how much air we swallowed, what kinds of bacteria we have in our intestines, and how long we hold in the fart.
                              The longer a fart is held in, the larger the proportion of inert nitrogen it contains, because the other gases tend to be absorbed into the bloodstream through the walls of the intestine.
                              A nervous person who swallows a lot of air and who moves stuff through his digestive system rapidly may have a lot of oxygen in his farts, because his body didn't have time to absorb the oxygen.
                              According to Dr. James L. A. Roth, the author of Gastrointestinal Gas (Ch. 17 in Gastroenterology, v. 4, 1976) most people (2/3 of adults) pass farts that contain no methane. If both parents are methane producers, their children have a 95% chance of being producers as well. The reason for this is apparently unknown. Some researchers suspect a genetic influence, whereas others think the ability is due to environmental factors. However, all methane in any farts comes from bacterial action and not from human cells.
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                              X