Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Hide 18AWG puck light zipcord in kitchen cabinets?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hide 18AWG puck light zipcord in kitchen cabinets?

Just mounted a 5-puck light set on the bottom of our kitchen cabinets to illuminate the counter beneath.

Wife dislikes the TWO three-outlet extension cord "heads" into which the puck lights plug.
    (Onextension cord plugs into an outlet.
    Two puck lights and the second extension cord plug into it.
    The three remaining puck lights plug into the second extension cord.)

Can I drill a hole largenough for the 18AWG zipcord, run the wires up into the cabinets and plug them into their extension cords INSIDE THE CABINETS?

The plugs can easily be removed, zipcord cut and plugs reattached. (These plugs cuthrough the zipcord insulation to make contact with the stranded copper wire.)

Or, can I legally splice zipcord and extend the wires under the cabinets to the extension cord heads in a corner?

Thank you.

Robert
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Hide 18AWG puck light zipcord in kitchen cabinets?

Robert, you might get a better response if you post directly to the electricians thread above. I have a few suggestions, get your wife tall shoes so she doesn't see under the cabinets and hide her glasses if she wears them.

Seriously though, I would avoid wires and connections inside the cabinet to prevent any chance of a problem from dishes or other things hitting them. Personally, I would splice them longer with the same guage wire, run them under the cabinet and cover them with the proper sheilding so they are not exposed. I think that will give them a clean look along with greater safety.Good luck, Frank B.

A product similar to this would hide your wires.
    http://www.cablemanagementsupply.com...wirehider.html
    Last edited by Frankiarmz; 12-30-2010, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Did not see an electrician'section. Will post there. Thanks.

She is Chinese and sees thextension cord head while seated.
      She does not want to see the lamps, either, but will not allow me drill 3" holes to recess them.
      Thanks.

Comment

Re: Did not see an electrician'section. Will post there. Thanks.

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
        She is Chinese and sees thextension cord head while seated.
        She does not want to see the lamps, either, but will not allow me drill 3" holes to recess them.
        Thanks.
        Wow, she's tough! How about boxing them in? Instead of recessing them into the cabinets just build some shallow boxes. You could hide the wires in them too.

Comment

Re: Did not see an electrician'section. Will post there. Thanks.

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Wow, she's tough! How about boxing them in? Instead of recessing them into the cabinets just build some shallow boxes. You could hide the wires in them too.
          Good idea!
          She does not want that, either.
          I considered hiding the wires behind a wood strip nexto the backsplash.
          Buthextension cord heads are bigger and would stick down, and she does not wanthe wood strip which likely would not perfectly match.

Can I legally splice zip cord?
          Thank you.

Comment

Robert, I don't know if you can legally splice zip cord but why not open the pucks and replace the existing wire with longer wires?

My last suggestion is more involved but might work as a last resort. Is your backsplash tiled or sheetrocked? If you can drill into a hollow between the studs right under the cabinets and drop your wires into the bottom cabinets, you could make your connections in some area at the bottom and avoid hiding wires under or in the upper cabinets. What do you think?

It should work as long as there is nothing blocking between the studs from the backsplash to the lower cabinets. Just drill a 1/2" hole, drop a string or wire and fish it our a similar hole directly below. You could even attach your plug after the wire is dropped so the hole could be as small as the wire.

Comment

Good ideas!

I wanted to just connect long wires.
              But inside each lamp, they go from a heat resistant wire into a special splice, heat shrink covered, to 16AWG zip cord.

The backsplash is tile all the way up to the cabinets.

At the backsplash I may drill and run the wires up inside the cabinets.
              But she does not like drilling the bottoms of the cabinets and drilling inside from one cabinet to the next.

Thank you.
              Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-06-2011, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Hi Robert..,
                I think you should be avoid wires and connections inside the cabinet to prevent any chance of a problem from dishes and
                also from other things hitting them.
                Nice sharing....
                Washington Kitchen Remodelling
                Last edited by Michael9; 08-06-2011, 04:31 AM.
                Washington Kitchen Remodelling

Comment

On my own home I do the job in anyway I see fit.

Comment

wire mold? and i'd open the lights, extend the wires and daisey chain the lights so only 1 cord is exposed.

my $.02 before taxes
                    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

My two cents.

If you wanted to run the wires inside the cabinets, they need to be protected, and any splicing be done inside of a proper box. Of course this means conduit floating around in areas where the wires could have something set on them, which will look like S. However once dishes are put back into the cabinet, who is going to notice or care right? I do not see why you could not plug the end of the lights into the extension cords in inside of the cabinets, but I would want to make sure that the wires wont ever be disturbed, and there is nothing set on them to build up heat and possibly start a fire. I would want to see everything cable stapled into place in nice straight un-twisted runs, and gentle bends where necessary so at least it looks like somebody cared. The product Frankiarmz mentioned here looks like a winner for protecting the wires without any drama. Of course you still will see wires under the cabinet, but if care is taken it will look tolerable.
                      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I'm with stxrus, wiremold surface mount raceways. Clean and easy. Comes in a couple of colors, and various boxes and such are available. Run it right in the back corner of the cab. Round dish- and glass- ware doesn't go all the way into the back corner, anyway, so it won't take away useable space.
                        Last edited by Andy_M; 08-20-2011, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X