X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's over, time to toss your Kodachrome

Kodachrome can no longer be processed. There are no facilities on the planet now that can process the film. Look in your freezers and camera bags and if you have some exposed or not toss it as there is no place left to get it processed.

Shame. If there was one film worth keeping that was it. It's just so expensive and difficult to process its not worth it any more with such low volume, and Kodak stopped making the film in 2009 anyway, so all you had was old stock to work with.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/30/us...?_r=2&emc=eta1
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: It's over, time to toss your Kodachrome

Saw that. Will the people of the future have a clue what Paul Simon is singing about?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Saw that. Will the people of the future have a clue what Paul Simon is singing about?

J.C.
      Probably not, and that goes for half the people alive today.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Someone once told me that he can't play his old cassettes anymore.
        What's a cassette?

Comment

Nostalia is great but after taking that picture on your camera with Kodachrome film you had to wait around a week to get it developed and then pick it up where now with a digital camera you take the picture and develope it and print it straight away on your computer.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
            Someone once told me that he can't play his old cassettes anymore.
            What's a cassette?
            Cassettes were the new and improved 8-tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post

8-Tracks??????
              Whats an 8 legged moose have to do with cassettes?
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Kodak is alive and well in the Movie industry. My wife buys over $200,000 worth of kodak film for each movie at Pixar. It's the choice
                of film in the movie industry. No one matches their quality. It's over $100,000 per theater to do digital. Can't happen now, theaters are broke. Their only income is soda and popcorn. They break even on the film receipts.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

That is sooooo last century!

Comment

and 8 tracks were new and impoved 4 tracks tapes.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

100 and 200 speed film in general offered excellent pictures, unfortunately as much as I respect the old days digital is the way to go. Two days ago I showed my teenage daughter my Olympus OM1-N 35mm film camera. I explained that those cameras were built to last forever, mine is thirty years old and still works. She wants to buy some film and give it a try. I explained it's very different from the digital camaras she is used to. I think a lot of this comes down to patience, we are a society of instant satisfaction. Did it kill us to wait a few days for pictures to be developed?
                      I was doing a walk through at my inlaws basement yesterday and my ten year old nephew found an old 33 record. He asked if anyone still had machines to play them? I told him I did. He and his generation don't know what a scratched record is, they don't know what it's like to even search through a cassette tape to find a song! Just press a button and play anyone of hundreds of songs. Progress! Can't stop it.

Comment

I never cared that much for Kodachrome anyway. Colors were often too vibrant and not natural. That plus the fact that here in NY (southern tier) it all had to be sent to Kodak for processing and that often meant long waits and sometimes mixups.

(My first solo vacation was in 1965 when I went to Kittyhawk and the Carolina shoals.) I took six rolls of Kodachrome, sent them in for processing when I returned to Binghamton. Two weeks later, I got back my pictures... five packs of somebodies wedding in NYC and one pack of my Kittyhawk pictures... made me sick, as the one pack was great! I returned the wedding pictures and hopefully they found their way back to the original photographer; but, I never got back my photos! That was the last time I used Kodachrome!)

I used to love GAF (used to be Ansco) film because the colors were very natural, but even though it was made right here in the triple cities (Binghamton, Johnson City, Endicott) it was hard to find. I had a friend whose father worked there and he could buy it through the factory store!) My FIL used GAF film when they went to Europe in the late 60's... the pictures and slides are still great... but when he ran out of film, he bought Kodak film in Europe and all of those slides are severly faded!

GAF is of course long gone!

For a long time throught the late 70's and all of the 80's I used Kodak's Ektachrome (E6) slide film. I used to buy bulk film and process it myself (had my own little freelance business on the side back then and used to produce slides of my illustrations). Except for some that got moisture damage while in storage, those slides are still good. Problem of course is like 8-track, cassette, and now VCR tape.... who ever uses a slide projector?

It's funny, how quick technology changes; anybody remember all those 100 MB Iomega Drives were the hottest thing on the market in the mid-90's? Or "Tape" cassette data drives? I own three of those Iomega drives and a Colorado Memory System's Data Cassette drive. Of course I've got well over a hundred 3-1/2" floppies.

I know you all remember the 1.44 Mb floppies... but how about the 720 k ones?... or the 5-1/4" 1.2 Mb floppies? I actually still have some of those 5-1/4" 640 K floppies too and might even have some 520 K floppies from the original IBM units.... no wait, I threw them out last year with my old Hyperion (IBM-compatible) portable! (But Hey, I've got some 88 K floppies from my original Atari 800.... )

The sad part about a lot of this is how "stuff" just grows old and useless. As I've been cleaning out stuff for the last couple of years, it's unbelievable what "once was good, is now old and useless". I probably threw away a couple of hundred $$'s worth of "cartoon color". That's the stuff I used to use to "paint cells" for slide presentations. Same method and way that Disney studio's used to make animation art.

I pulled out my old airbrushes... while they are fine, the interior of the storage containers had totally deteriorated... to dust! Most all of the old art supplies, though stored with utmost care, are aged beyond use. While I don't think I'm "old", going through this stuff made me feel ancient! Heck, even the old "T-Square" plastic edge's, as well as the drawing board "parallels" were yellowed and brittle and beyond use.

While I've been illustrating with the computer since the early 90's, I always kept some of this old stuff, and I thought someday I'd go back to using the drawing board, just because it's fun and there's a certain 'feeling' for pencil and velum layout. I wonder if you can buy drawing ink anymore... I still have a couple of sets of Rapidograph pens and even spare parts, as well as all my triangles and templates... if they haven't gotten too brittle too!

CWS

Comment

Velvia was/is much nicer for taking photos in my opinion. Unless there is a person in it, then it is to vibrant. I believe this is the film that killed Kodachrome, since until Velvia came out, there wasn't anything that had as much color saturation and nice warm colors.

I miss the film days...

Matt

Comment

I think the big thing that digital did is bring the cost down so a person can take pictures,
                            the other is that do ot the digital age it can be sent and view by many,

but I do think there will be a lost of many family memories do to the fact there are not printed or sored in paper format,

just like was said, you were throwing out old floppies, (you most likely did not even have a way of seeing what was on them), so in time to come when you find a old thumb drive or a memory chip, and it is full of pictures, will some one 10 year, 50 years, 100 years, be able to view them, or will technology be the death of books and pictures,
                            now if you go into an old attic or cellar and find a box of pictures one is able to view them just like the original owners did,
                            but when your great grand kids find the old memory chips will they?
                            and the printed pictures do not have the quality or the stay fast ness as many films in my experience,

book are going the same way it is now being pushed to E books, and even libraries are dumping books for saving them as E books in some locations,

and formats seem to be changing about as fat as the seasons, any more, above we were joking about music formats, I pod, CD, cassette, 8 tracks, 4 tracks, 78 records and 331/3 records, and before that was the cylinder records, and possibly mixed in was the reel to reel, and the wire recorder.

it looks like the phonograph was invented in 1877, and went to about, 1980's in use, about 100 year run with some small changes, along the way,
                            I was looking up the 4 track and it was invented in 1956 but did not gain consumer use until the mid 1960's through the early 1970's.
                            then the Compact Cassette took over 1970's through the 1990's. then CD's mid 1980's to mid 2000, and now it is I pods, and other, including the cell phone, but look at the evolution of the I pod, (and many if not all, of the I pods have a sealed battery that the device is meant to be a throw away item),

I realy wonder if in the long term future, if the currnet and near future generations will be known to history, besides the land fills with piles of plastics,
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              Their only income is soda and popcorn. They break even on the film receipts.
                              That's really surprising. I'm of the opinion that movies are getting too expensive. They only have 3D versions of lots of movies in the theater near us, and for our family of four it was $50.50 to see a movie.

I would much prefer if they had everything in 2D so the kids didn't need to have the silly glasses, and we could save like $12.

Comment

Working...
                              X