X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Caring for our elders

My Dad, born 1899, said " If they don't bury Me for love, They'll bury Me for stink" We buried Him for Love.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

There are no easy answers or simple fixes regarding caring for the elderly. Our society cherishes the preservation of life but sometimes I wonder at what cost? Do we force feed and operate on the elderly to keep them alive for our pleasure and peace of mind or theirs? A bidet is fine for those who need that little extra help but does nothing for the elderly who are in diapers and often can't walk on their own.

There is a huge leap between voluntary assisted suicide and the decision to end the life of an elderly person who is unable to think clearly for themselves! How will our society evolve?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        simple solution. have the elderly commit a crime that lands them in jail

then they can get all the perks the real criminals get

or they can spend their life savings and move to a seinors assisted living complex.

rick.
        Not quite so simple--I can't decide on which one of you guys I should rob!!

Comment

Our elderly should be respected.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
            Our elderly should be respected.
            I can't imagine any decent person arguing otherwise, but that is not happening. Over the last four years I have watched my father inlaw, a once proud, powerful and independant man, reduced to diapers and forced feedings! That is not a respectful way to leave this life, there must be better alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              A bidet is fine for those who need that little extra help but does nothing for the elderly who are in diapers and often can't walk on their own.
              Frankiarmz Thanks for at least responding to me. Toilet seat bidets don't provide a little extra help. They provide a huge help to people that can't reach to wipe. when that skill is lost it is off to assisted living. this is no small matter. Know it won't help people that are bed ridin, but it sure will free up people to spend more time with people that are bed ridin. The unfortunate thing is after a person needs one it is usually to late to change them to something new.

Comment

I can't imagine any decent person arguing otherwise, but that is not happening. Over the last four years I have watched my father inlaw, a once proud, powerful and independant man, reduced to diapers and forced feedings! That is not a respectful way to leave this life, there must be better alternatives.
                Maybe you could put him down for his own good.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                  Maybe you could put him down for his own good.
                  If this is your attempt at humor or wit, you failed in my opinion. I'm trying to point out that our society does need alternatives to end suffering and in some cases deal with elderly who are dying a slow, lousy death some call life.

Years ago my infant daughter was dying from a genetic disease, and I thought about killing her before she had to suffer a slow death from respiratory failure. It's times like this when a keyboard is just not as good as being face to face.

Comment

And this is the crux of the matter Frank I watched my mother over a ten year period of having her left toe cut off then her left leg and the her right leg below the knee from smoking and diabetes and the pain she went through when even morphine wouldn`t work in the end but our loving and caring society demanded that she had to live in pain and suffering till the end and euthanasia was not allowed and I wonder how the so called baby boomers are going to enjoy dying in pain to satisfy our weak minded govenments and not to forget our churches.

Tony

Comment

If this is your attempt at humor or wit, you failed in my opinion. I'm trying to point out that our society does need alternatives to end suffering and in some cases deal with elderly who are dying a slow, lousy death some call life.

Years ago my infant daughter was dying from a genetic disease, and I thought about killing her before she had to suffer a slow death from respiratory failure. It's times like this when a keyboard is just not as good as being face to face.
                      Have you ever been to church?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                        Have you ever been to church?
                        I stopped going to church years ago after listening to comments about how "wives should obey their husbands", and "divorce is evil, so people who divorce are evil". I can pray to God on my own and think for myself.

Now I'm not sure about who you are, but you sure sound like someone who used to post here a while back. What have you learned from going to church that you can share in an intelligent fashion?

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                          And this is the crux of the matter Frank I watched my mother over a ten year period of having her left toe cut off then her left leg and the her right leg below the knee from smoking and diabetes and the pain she went through when even morphine wouldn`t work in the end but our loving and caring society demanded that she had to live in pain and suffering till the end and euthanasia was not allowed and I wonder how the so called baby boomers are going to enjoy dying in pain to satisfy our weak minded govenments and not to forget our churches.

Tony
                          Tony, this thread will not end well because we have folks who either have honest opinions that differ from ours, or are simply acting like fools. I don't have the patience to separate the two, so I won't post anymore on this subject.

Comment

I stopped going to church years ago after listening to comments about how "wives should obey their husbands", and "divorce is evil, so people who divorce are evil". I can pray to God on my own and think for myself.

Now I'm not sure about who you are, but you sure sound like someone who used to post here a while back. What have you learned from going to church that you can share in an intelligent fashion?
                            I dont want to change the subject too much. It just helps me understand your thought process. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X