X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Wonder If This Would Really Work?

This was passed on to me and is not my idea.
    =============================================

This is a great idea, think about it....

I want to ask each of you to consider doing the following when you are talking on the phone to any US customer service representative that is based in a foreign country (like India ). I have done this twice and it works! Any time you call an 800 number (for a credit card, banking, charter communications, health insurance, insurance, you name it) and you are transferred to a representative (like in India), please consider doing the following:

After you connect and you realize that the customer service representative is not from the USA (you can always ask if you are not sure about the accent), please very politely (very politely - this is not about trashing other cultures) say, "I'd like to speak to a customer service representative in the United States of America ." The rep might suggest talking to his/her manager, but, again, politely say, "Thank you, but I'd like to speak to a customer service representative in the USA ." YOU WILL BE IMMEDIATELY CONNECTED to a rep in the USA . It only takes less than one minute to have your call re-directed to the USA . Tonight when I got redirected to a USA rep, I asked again to make sure - and yes, she was from Fort Lauderdale .

Imagine if tomorrow, every US citizen who has to make such a call and then requests a US rep, imagine how that would ultimately impact the number of US jobs that would need to be created ASAP. Imagine what would happen if every US citizen insisted on talking to only US phone reps from this day on. If I tell 10 people to consider this and you tell 10 people to consider doing this - see what I mean...it becomes an exercise in viral marketing 101.

Remember - the goal here is to restore jobs back here at home - not to be abrupt or rude to a foreign phone rep. If you agree, please tell 10 people you know and tell them to tell 10 people they know....etc...etc...
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: I Wonder If This Would Really Work?

Nope.

As long as it's cost effective to have a global customer support center located elsewhere on the planet other than the US, that call center will stay right where it is, regardless of the whining over the matter.

Comment

If mass numbers of folks did this and in fact the calls WERE redirected to the USA, then it certainly would have an effect. The call center in India would have no one to talk to and the (few) domestic agents would be swamped.

I wonder if one can really get transferred to a US rep from a call center in India. Actually, I doubt it is universally true. Maybe it works with some call centers. Seems like this could be one of those email things that goes around but is really just wishful thinking. I almost never find myself making those support calls. Still, I'll try it next time. Nothing to lose.

BUT.... I have a different approach:

1. Forget about the call center. Small potatoes.

2. Starting now, buy MADE IN USA products AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY. Want a Honda or Toyota? ... ok, think about getting one made in the US.

3. Accept the higher price. There will be a lower COST in the end... due to the benefit to our Country and the overall higher quality of the item.

4. Tell the importing company exactly what you're doing. Anyone there, Ridge Tool? I have USA Ridgid pipe wrenches and tube cutters, and I did buy a tablesaw before I smartened up... but I don't buy your power tools anymore BECAUSE THEY"RE IMPORTED. If you made them in the US, since nearly eveyone else has also offshored production, I WOULD BUY YOUR STUFF.

I currently look for old Made in USA Milwaukee, PC, etc at garage sales, pawn shops and auction sites.

Buy USA. Everyone wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
        If mass numbers of folks did this and in fact the calls WERE redirected to the USA, then it certainly would have an effect. The call center in India would have no one to talk to and the (few) domestic agents would be swamped.

I wonder if one can really get transferred to a US rep from a call center in India. Actually, I doubt it is universally true. Maybe it works with some call centers. Seems like this could be one of those email things that goes around but is really just wishful thinking. I almost never find myself making those support calls. Still, I'll try it next time. Nothing to lose.

True

2. Starting now, buy MADE IN USA products AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY. Want a Honda or Toyota? ... ok, think about getting one made in the US.
        Implying Honda or Toyota doesn't already make cars in the US, by Union Autoworkers.

3. Accept the higher price. There will be a lower COST in the end... due to the benefit to our Country and the overall higher quality of the item.
        Implying location of the products manufactured is a factor of product quality

4. Tell the importing company exactly what you're doing. Anyone there, Ridge Tool? I have USA Ridgid pipe wrenches and tube cutters, and I did buy a tablesaw before I smartened up... but I don't buy your power tools anymore BECAUSE THEY"RE IMPORTED. If you made them in the US, since nearly eveyone else has also offshored production, I WOULD BUY YOUR STUFF.
        Implying that no matter how much POS you make, as long as it's stamped USA, I'll buy it.

I currently look for old Made in USA Milwaukee, PC, etc at garage sales, pawn shops and auction sites.

Buy USA. Everyone wins.
        Implying buying used tools without the sales tax somehow supports the US government

Look, sadly I do not have any answers, however the bottom line is, that other countries that have labor at much lower rates for a set quality of products, then the production means will locate there. Think the "mcdouble" off the dollar menu. You know it's garbage to eat, but goddam it so cheap to buy just one at the end of the day, at the risk of ruining your appitite when you get home.

Comment

I want all jobs lost to the third world to return to the USA. I know we can't compete with their slave wages and we all want to pay the lowest price for our goods, but where does that leave us? Public servants, gov't workers, tradespeople and so forth are not at risk of losing their jobs to a work force outside the USA, but what about the millions already lost and the millions to come?

I think we have to start saying if we want to save our economy then we can't be completely focused on that cheap price or value meal. We are running on fumes in many places, folks out of work, property taxes not being paid and all that other bad stuff that's happening. Something has to change or else we are sunk and by we I mean all of us.

Comment

the bill collector who called sunday morning from india, i guarantee will never be calling me again.

i lectured him for 15 minutes. sometimes all it takes is to be a little sharper than them.

of course the bill collector is looking for every rick in the book he called my fax line and didn't bother calling my home line.

bill collectors have to be the stupidest of all callers

with a simple computer they would already know they have the wrong person.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Buy USA. Everyone wins.
              I have already innitiated this concept.

I just got a "durable looking" cold weather hooded work coat for christmas.Close family member.Everyone in the family knows I've got a hard on for cheap anything import (people too).
              The coat is Sears Crapsman.After one wash both major side(front to back panel seams have torn 4"-6" and are frayed.No exchanging,obviously garbage manufacturing house.

One wash Junk!

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                Look, sadly I do not have any answers, however the bottom line is, that other countries that have labor at much lower rates for a set quality of products, then the production means will locate there. Think the "mcdouble" off the dollar menu. You know it's garbage to eat, but goddam it so cheap to buy just one at the end of the day, at the risk of ruining your appitite when you get home.
                I try to help others express a little more self control to help their future.

Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  I try to help others express a little more self control to help their future.

Anyone else?
                  Informing the unemployed of this little website is a good start:

http://www.fedjobs.com/

You're welcome.

Comment

I just bought a made in USA 3/8 ratchet wrench a lowes a few weeks ago. I did not shop around I was at lowes and needed a new tool. I spent $10.00 more for the Kobalt wrench than I could have for a very nice looking wrench made in china. I decided to buy American. but dang a $10.00 difference for 1 small tool. I still feel ripped off. I know I should have shopped around but dang how much shopping should I have to do for 1 very common tool made in America.

Comment

Where did you find a Kobalt tool at Lowe's that was "Made in America"? The only thing "Made in America" around here at Lowe's in the Kobalt brand is the package they come in. The tool is made off shore.

Go
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

The notion that US made goods can't compete because of China's low labor rates is DEAD-DEAD-DEAD wrong.

This is the argument promoted by those that want to justify the offshoring of jobs. They want you to believe that in order for goods to be manufactured in the US, we would have to work for a buck an hour, which of course none of us would, or can afford to, do. Well, it's NOT TRUE.

Here's the reality, and this applies to the VAST BULK of consumer goods built in China. Most of the stuff (including your phone, ipod, laptop, flat screen tv, or cordless drill) has a very low labor content. A $200 ipad has considerably less than ONE HALF HOUR of labor content in it. The circuit board, case, etc come tright off of automated lines and are barely touched by human hands - maybe not at all. Now, take one of these items and look at how it's made! The housings (ipod, lapto OR electric tool) are snap-together plastic with a minimum of screws. There is no machined aluminum housings, it's all self-tapping screws into cheap ABS plastic. Virtually EVERYTHING in the under $1000 category has between one half to two hours of touch labor in it. Looking at the ipod, there is maybe 30 minutes of labor in that thing, tops.

So what? Well, in China where they make ipods, the pay is not quite a buck an hour. In the US, you would have to pay someone $20 per hour to do that assembly line job. No argument there. However, that's NOT where the cost of the item is. The DESIGN of those items minimizes labor content and moreover, minimizes the skill level needed to snap them together.

Let's say that the ipod costs $200. To simplify it, say that the Chinese labor is FREE. In the US, 1/2 an hour (a very generous estimate, it's probably less than 10 minutes) of assembly labor would cost $10. Now, if that Ipod costs you $200, it costs $100 to make it and get it from China to the store shelf. The $10 in labor is marked up of course, so that labor is about $20 of that $200 price tag that you pay. It's 10%!! That's not overwhelming.

On top of that, the cost of doing business in China is higher for US companies. It's expensive to offshore your production, they need much more handholding because their labor force is less skilled, and it costs money to get the product over here. In many cases, based on the above, it actually costs MORE to make the stuff overseas.

Why do you suppose Honda, Toyota and others have put hugely expensive plants in the United States? Are they STUPID? I don't think so!

So why are US companies offshoring? It has NOTHING to do with labor costs.

It has to do with OTHER costs. When you offshore, there are no payroll taxes. There is no payroll department, period. There are no benefits to pay, no Obamacare, no dental insturance, no vision care, no paid vacations. There are not 14 mandated holidays per year. There are no EPA restrictions, there are no OSHA rules, there is no need for employment lawyers because there are no wrongful discharge suites or sexual harassment claims. There are no child labor laws, and there are (mostly) no overtime pay rules. The employer doesn't have to have Worker's Compensation insurance, and he doesn't pay super inflated costs for every square foot of factory floor space because US real estate is stupidly overpriced, and he doesn't have to pay high prices for energy to greedy and inefficient utility companies to keep the lights on, since he has no factory to light up in the first place.

These are the real costs, and these are the REAL reasons that US companies find it compelling to go offshore.

They want us to think that WE THE EMPLOYEES are the problem. We're not!

The irony is that the jobs situation is largely responsible for the Federal deficit. Our social security and medicare systems are not trust funds. They are taxes. The current wage earners pay the money that is directly used to pay the benefits for those that are drawing social security and medicare. Hmmmm.... no one in China that is making the stuff we buy is paying Social Security or medicare costs, are they? The entitlements are almost 50% of the budget! My point is, not only is this fiasco costing us jobs, it's heading the Federal Government into insolvency!

And whats the Government's solution? They have TWO. The first is, print more money. That devalues EVERYONE'S dollars, and thus is realy exactly equivalent to a TAX. Ironic that Washington is so proud of their tax compromise. It's not a compromise. While we weren't looking, they printed $600B in paper money to monetize the debt, essentially taking value right out of your savings. Don't think so? Look at the price of gold and silver. Look at your monthly bills. The dollar is sharply losing value every month. The governments second solution is to raise the retirement age to 70 or 72. This is very likely to happen. That's a fine how-do-you-do. Never mind that we have all been assuming that SS was a contract that would pay off full bennies at 65.

This ALL comes from the fact that we have become a nation of consumers of foreign production. And of course, the banking industry is right in there taking advantage of this to effect the largest transfer of weath ever seen. Remember that currency inflation doesn't destroy wealth. Wealth can't be destroyed. But inflation sure can transfer wealth from the unwitting to the opportunist.

Buy American. It's not about nationalism or patriotic pride. It's about your money... and the premium in price you pay for USA goods is peanuts in the big picture.
                        Last edited by Andy_M; 01-07-2011, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Buy American. It's not about nationalism or patriotic pride. It's about your money... and the premium in price you pay for USA goods is peanuts in the big picture.
                          Over the last 5 years, I strictly buy Carhartt clothing for work. Yes it's expensive, but I must say the quality is second to none. For me I do it for a pride thing, and plus I want to try and keep the money I spend in the United States as much as possible.

But it's quite hard these days to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                            I just bought a made in USA 3/8 ratchet wrench a lowes a few weeks ago. I did not shop around I was at lowes and needed a new tool. I spent $10.00 more for the Kobalt wrench than I could have for a very nice looking wrench made in china. I decided to buy American. but dang a $10.00 difference for 1 small tool. I still feel ripped off. I know I should have shopped around but dang how much shopping should I have to do for 1 very common tool made in America.
                            Don't know if Kobalt is USA made or not. I hope you did get USA, and not just because of economic arguments. As one that used to own an auto engine machine shop, I would NEVER buy an imported ratchet, or wrench of any kind.

All it will take is one experience where you're leaning on the ratchet pretty good and the gear strips or pawl breaks and you break your fingers to make the point.

It happens.

It's also why I have Ridgid pipe wrenches, even though I am only a "homeowner-plumber". Bad tools cause immense pain.

SnapOn, MAC, Matco if you're into the absolute best mechanics tools. Craftsman hand tools (not the cheap imported crap they've started to sell) are still USA made and are very good and just 20% the price of SnapOn.

Comment

I never was much of a Trump fan. Maybe it's time to rethink that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZ-I...yer_detailpage

Comment

Working...
                              X