X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabled U A Fitter Denied Vested Pension

Not surprisingly The United Association Of Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 370 in Flint, Michigan might not be as good as they claim to be to their members. After being vested with over 16 credits, I became completely and totally disabled. I had maintained my journeyman card for the past 10 years as I pursued an easier career due to my health. My arms became unusable after several years from my previous pipefitter profession and I had to stop my pursued career and collect social security. The union denied my disability benefits because I am not currently working in the union.(Inactive member) There is no where in the pension plan that specificly states that will happen to anyone so BEWARE. They are not necessarily doing things to help the members if means drawing from the underfunded pension fund.The union said I could collect my pension once I collected Social Security and then retracted it.I sure wish I was one of the inner -office cronies who could get any / all benfits I desired. Office holders pensions and saleries to be discussed in further posts.

Thanks for reading!!!!!!!!

Re: Disabled U A Fitter Denied Vested Pension

Welcome to the Forum and sorry about your disability and problems with the Union. Has the N.L.R.B. heard your case? Best of luck with all of that. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Desertstray View Post
      Not surprisingly The United Association Of Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 370 in Flint, Michigan might not be as good as they claim to be to their members. After being vested with over 16 credits, I became completely and totally disabled. I had maintained my journeyman card for the past 10 years as I pursued an easier career due to my health. My arms became unusable after several years from my previous pipefitter profession and I had to stop my pursued career and collect social security. The union denied my disability benefits because I am not currently working in the union.(Inactive member) There is no where in the pension plan that specificly states that will happen to anyone so BEWARE. They are not necessarily doing things to help the members if means drawing from the underfunded pension fund.The union said I could collect my pension once I collected Social Security and then retracted it.I sure wish I was one of the inner -office cronies who could get any / all benfits I desired. Office holders pensions and saleries to be discussed in further posts.

Thanks for reading!!!!!!!!
      Take them to court! Sure they prolly turn everyone down and make everyone sue them unless its a clear cut and dry case. Call a lawyer.

Comment

I'm sorry for your situation, especially the disability. The denial of you pension is, I believe, something you can deal with legally. I highly suggest that you seek a lawyer who specializes in labor relations. You can call the local bar association (should be in the yellow pages, almost every county has a "bar" which will find you just the right law firm).

It is my understanding that your pension is protected under federal law. I don't know the specifics, but certainly your lawyer will be able to inform you of your rights.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Both my parents have lost pension and benefits, you're not alone. It didn't happen to me and I felt stabbed in the back.

Comment

Isn't this just the kind of thing that unions were supposed to protect the worker from? Honest question. I've never been in a union.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
              Isn't this just the kind of thing that unions were supposed to protect the worker from? Honest question. I've never been in a union.
              Honestly, you are right. Unfortunately, power corrupts and we see this in every profession and every position of trust. Unions are made up of people, and they are no more immune to human frailty than any other organization.

I can speak from personal experience about how much I gained from being in a Union, and how the members pulled together to stand strong against a very powerful employer. Unlike this gentleman, my pension is paid by my former employer.

Comment

Working...
              X