X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Improvements?

The forum will be going through a regular software upgrade soon. The next version has some cool features that you'll hopefully enjoy.

I'd also like to make some changes to the general form and content. It seems to me like we have too many categories and discussions. I'd like to clean it up some and make it more useful for everyone.

Given that it really is your forum, I'd like to know what you'd change. I'm open to all ideas.

I realize there are probably ideas sprinkled throughout the forum already. Apologies for any inconvenience, but let's make this THE thread for talking on this topic.

Thanks so much for your time and participation.

Re: Forum Improvements?

With the possible exception of Open Discussion and even that one IMO has limited worth, all of the forums under the General Topics Heading would not be missed by me. As I participate primarily in the Woodworking and Tools Forums I will not comment on the trades forums but leave that up to those who do participate in those.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

For the Forum Junkies like myself can we get a Mobile app for Android and Iphone? Have a built in Quick Links Tab for today's posts. Josh thought he could make that happen pretty easily.

You could remove Ridgid Central. That should clean things up a bit. Or maybe have some sort of a pull-down menu for those listings

Maybe combine a couple Pipe Related Trade categories.

Comment

If it ain't broke, why fix it?
        What makes this forum is the character of its "characters",
        something over which you have no control.
        You will doubtless get a plethora of suggestions most
        of which will be self-serving. Nothing wrong in that,
        its just our nature. Much like the inmates running the asylum.

Technical improvements aside.

Comment

If topic areas are eliminated where will the threads go? If merged into other topic areas I guess they will be moved over there too. But if a topic is dropped altogether then a decision would need to be made on where to place those old threads.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It does seem large (long list of subjects) for the small group. And this Forum is very small compared to some. Kind of why I like it though.

I don't know if it would be an improvement, but the Ridgid Central and Ridgid Today could almost have their own page with a more prominent link on the main site. That could steer drop in traffic to the right place quicker possibly and get more eyes on your products, news, and tutorials.

J.C.

Comment

Can you make a "whatever" button next to the "thanks" button?
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I'm assuming you are moving to vBulletin 4? If so, please be sure to mirror the site and do extensive offsite testing, as well as keep a backup of the current so you can change back.

I was involved in the first public beta site Internet Brands (who owns vBulletin) did for vB4 a little over a year ago, and have moderated on two forums that have converted since; one just a couple of months ago. It is still ugly, search does not work well, quick replies are too tiny to read, there is a huge amount of white space between posts, resulting in a lot fewer posts per page, inaccurate pages reporting (clicking "new posts" results page 1 of 4, then 2 of 5, 3 of 6, 4 of 7, ad nauseum), etc. The last forum ended up bringing in another guy just to work on all the problems on the forum. Look back last December on vBulletin's own forum to see all the admins that were up in arms about all the problems.

Just be sure the gains are worth the pain!

Of course, if you're moving to something else, nevermind...

Good luck,
                Steve
                Steve
                www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                  Along this line I know that Agree and Disagree buttons have been requested in the past.

Many people, including me, use the Thanks button to indicate that they agree with a previous posters comments w/o having to make of post of their own. When they have nothing to add but want to show they're in agreement its quick and easy and gets the point across. Plus I'm sure it takes less DB space to record multiple 'Thanks' than it would for all the individual 'Thank You' posts.

If as Steve says the move it to v4 then I say wait until the bugs are worked out even if that is another year. I doubt there is anything in the new version that we can't live without, except maybe something related to security.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                    This reminds me of the Milgram experiment which measured the willingness of study participants to obey an authority figure who instructed them to perform acts (like pressing a button to inflict pain on a person in another room) that conflicted with their personal conscience. Pushing the "whatever" button could become addicting and fun, in a sadistic way. Powerful stuff.

Comment

I'd like to see the following changes... many of which I think were suggested several months ago when the topic of change came up before. I think these suggestions would better define the exact areas that new posts should be placed.:

Under Woodworking

Woodworking Discussion is great, but too many tool questions end up there. Can that be redefined to be "Woodworking Project Discussion"

"Tips and Techniques" is great the way it is.

Redefine "Ask the Woodworking Experts"... to "Stationary Woodworking Power Tools"

Under Portable Power Tools

Keep the "Power Tool Discussions", but I feel that "Ask the Power Tool Experts" is sort of redundant, and much of that discussion should be combined with "Power Tool Discussions". Then have a separate new heading to define just "Battery and Charger Discussion"

Under General Topics I'd like to see a "Political Discussions" topic which would allow all us so inclined, to concentrate in that area alone, hopefully keeping the "Open Discussion" area less controversial.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                        This reminds me of the Milgram experiment which measured the willingness of study participants to obey an authority figure who instructed them to perform acts (like pressing a button to inflict pain on a person in another room) that conflicted with their personal conscience. Pushing the "whatever" button could become addicting and fun, in a sadistic way. Powerful stuff.
                        Wow that explains it perfectly and it all makes sense now. After all Joey does have her Masters in Psychology.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                          What do you think the "Thanks" button is?

As I step into the meatgrinder.

J.C.

Comment

Wyatt, since you are "open to all ideas", I would also like an "off" button for Plumber Rick. I have been unsuccessfully searching everywhere for one for years! Please me!
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

how about a photo gallery that will link right to a post. this way we can search photos and read the threads about it.

a section used just for questions and once the correct answer is given, the tread is locked.

more security and spam guards.

of course have an agree button to compliment the thanks button.

and my favorite, a for sale/ trade section you never know when you might need some of my stock

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X