And Then He Was Gone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Then He Was Gone

Our family lost a very special friend tonight. When he and his family moved in a little over 25-years ago our families melded as one. Brenda and I were the approximate age of Boyd and Barbara so it only made sense. Brenda and Barbara soon became closer than any sisters could ever be and have supported each other through some hard times. Add to that their 5-kids were about the same ages as our 6-kids so our families were instant playmates.

Boyd was a cartoonist as a profession and was responsible for all of the artwork we used in our plumbing business. We would explain what we wanted and within minutes he would hand us a print ready piece of artwork that was beyond anything we could have hoped for.

Boyd had recently been suffering with pulmonary fibrosis. Within a matter of a couple of months he went from uncomfortable to intensive care. While sitting in ICU at UCLA waiting for a lung transplant he experienced a mild heart attack. That night a set of lungs finally became available but his kidneys and liver had started to shut down. The lungs went to another recipient and the family was told he was now too weak to wait for a transplant. The family said their good byes and then he was gone.

If you are not an organ donor, please consider becoming one. Boyd has left behind an amazing legacy in both his work and his family and he will be missed.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0456631/

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: And Then He Was Gone

sorry to hear about your loss. i know you guys were close family friends.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Sorry to hear about your friend Mark. I also lost a friend this week. My neighbor Bill who hosted an annual invitational horseshoe tournament for the last 37 years (35 of which I attended) passed away last week. Due to his health a couple of years he had to move off of the mountain, but his son bought his house, so the tournament continued. Last saturday I went down to his house to a "celebration of life" gathering for him and it was like being at the tournament, everyone was there. The man was truly blessed with friends. He will be dearly missed....he was 91 years young.
      The Other Rick

Comment

sorry to hear of the lost of your friend,
        It is hard loosing a good friend,
        Prayers for your family and his,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Mark, I hope all the good memories help you through this time of sorrow and loss. It's never easy to let go, but having someone like that in your life is a blessing. Take care. Frank B.

Comment

Mark, Sorry for your loss, Stephie and I will send prayers and good thoughts your way.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Sorry for all that loved and knew Him. I have many artists in My life
              They are the dessert in our lives.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss Mark.
                www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Sorry to hear of his passing, loss of a family friend. When I renewed my driver's license I committed to becoming an organ donor for the first time in my life.

I hope the criticisms that I hear about being in bad accidents isn't true, that they look at you 50/50 in survival knowing you are a donor.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss Mark.
                    My prayers go out to you and the family.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss. At least he didn't suffer for too long...
                      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

When someone is big in life they leave a big empty space when they are gone.
                        Praying for comfort for his wife, children and friends.

And that is an appropriate thread title. Life is just a vapor.
                        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Why is it we sometimes learn more about a person from their obituary then from personal interactions? I knew Boyd was amazing, I just did not know how amazing.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            Why is it we sometimes learn more about a person from their obituary then from personal interactions? I knew Boyd was amazing, I just did not know how amazing.

Mark
                            Mark, I agree that it's unfortunate we don't know more about folks until they pass away. A while back I wrote about a neighbor of mine who had passed away. This man and I had been at odds for twenty years, it was only when I read his obituarty that I realized what a full life and diverse background he had. It sure would be helpful if folks were more of an open book so we knew more about them before they passed. I still regret not being at peace with this man, but in spite of his informative and impressive obituary, he was not approachable. Personally, I make a daily effort to let the folks around me know I am here to offer help and friendship. I don't want to have an obituary speak for who I was, it just won't matter once I'm gone. Like you said, you knew how amazing your friend was before you learned more from his obituary.

Comment

Working...
                            X