Clear All

Re: Kings and Queens?

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
    Yeah, me too!
    Even mine.

J.C.

Comment

Perhaps, but not really as I've noticed that we agree on other things. My only difference perhaps is your label, "Stupid". Having a respect or holding in honor of something, may well be different from one group to the next, but it isn't necessarily "stupid".... just different.

But of course even that is left to interpretation. A good example is the lable "honor". We can have such things as "Honor among Men" or "On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty" or "Honor thy father and thy mother". In the military, one has a sense of honor to the unit and to the country and to it's flag. There was of course the "Honor Code" as an officer or within the cadet corp. But of late, there has been in the news, the term of "honor killing"... which to me has no honor at all; and in much of the world, one must act to revenge the honor of some past event. "Honor" is obviously something that can be as twisted as anything else.

But taking your point that honoring "Kings and Queens" is just stupid, reminds me that my wife thinks that military discipline and honor are also stupid. She has no appreciation of such things whatsoever and very little appreciation of history... any history.

In fairness I suppose that we all have a "stupid" label for some of the things that are really bizarre to our own backgrounds. It is just part of our differences I guess.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
        Perhaps, but not really as I've noticed that we agree on other things. My only difference perhaps is your label, "Stupid". Having a respect or holding in honor of something, may well be different from one group to the next, but it isn't necessarily "stupid".... just different.

But of course even that is left to interpretation. A good example is the lable "honor". We can have such things as "Honor among Men" or "On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty" or "Honor thy father and thy mother". In the military, one has a sense of honor to the unit and to the country and to it's flag. There was of course the "Honor Code" as an officer or within the cadet corp. But of late, there has been in the news, the term of "honor killing"... which to me has no honor at all; and in much of the world, one must act to revenge the honor of some past event. "Honor" is obviously something that can be as twisted as anything else.

But taking your point that honoring "Kings and Queens" is just stupid, reminds me that my wife thinks that military discipline and honor are also stupid. She has no appreciation of such things whatsoever and very little appreciation of history... any history.

In fairness I suppose that we all have a "stupid" label for some of the things that are really bizarre to our own backgrounds. It is just part of our differences I guess.

CWS
        May be kind of a strange subject I was just wondering about, so I'll try to let it die.

The word stupid just seems to be a harsh way of putting it, but I can't come to terms with another way of putting it for myself. Ignorant, uneducated, etc. just don't seem to fit.

There are many things that some give higher recognition and support towards that I'm sure I do not. I have to say that I usually can find some reason why and at least understand their choice.

I cannot find it in the "King, Queen, Prince" system as I recall in history and as I've "Googled around..." on the subject.

No Honor in this tradition.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
        X