X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is your local economy doing??

Just looking to see if the economy is getting better?
    Were I'm located I'm kind of out of the loop not seeing what's going on.
    We are still losing businesses and small stores and shops.
    Heck I went into my local Radio Shack to buy some RCA cables 2 days later their GONE!
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Re: How is your local economy doing??

Won't bother me that Radio Shack goes under. That business model doesn't fly anymore.

Feeling a little pinch here but not bad. Tax time, Christmas bills....always slow this month.

Lots of federal employees here so The 2 year Federal pay freeze or "The Chosen Frozen" has everyone worried.

Comment

There is a lot of commercial real estate in my town and unfortunately businesses open for a while and close down. I think many things play against these business ventures including increasing rents and declining revenue. I have seen million dollar gyms open and close within a couple years, well established pizza restaurants close for renovation and never reopen. Walmart, home depot, and costco along with the super markets have been bullet proof, everything else is on rocky ground. When well established restaurants go out of business, I think folks are cutting back.

Comment

We had a few calls for portable toilet rentals today. One was from Serv-Pro so that one doesn't count for new business but tomorrow's delivery is for a 6 month construction project. The guy is traveling from southern Oregon. A long way to go to work since I'm 300 miles away! All in all we seem to be holding steady for the most part. The well managed businesses are hanging on.
        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          There is a lot of commercial real estate in my town and unfortunately businesses open for a while and close down. I think many things play against these business ventures including increasing rents and declining revenue. I have seen million dollar gyms open and close within a couple years, well established pizza restaurants close for renovation and never reopen. Walmart, home depot, and costco along with the super markets have been bullet proof, everything else is on rocky ground. When well established restaurants go out of business, I think folks are cutting back.
          Were having a problem keeping restaurants open. One opens 6 months to a year later gone another comes to give it a shot same thing gone in 6 months to a year. One spot has changed hands 4 times
          We are in a tuff area everything costs a little more and everyone makes a little less. Little shops like myself and customers are really feeling the squeeze as costs go up then service rates go up to match just to make up for increased over head.
          Rod
          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
          http://unclognh.com
          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

It's hard to get a read on the economy in my town.

I've been doing a fair amount of kitchen remodels lately, and it seems every week someone else picked up a foreclosure that they want some work done on. So those are good signs.

The Wal-Mart and Home Depot here are also doing very good business, but the Albertsons grocery store in between them just changed it's hours to closing at 10 PM instead of midnight though, so that's a bad sign.

There are a couple of good restaurants here that seem to always have customers, and a few crappy restaurants that are doing poorly. No surprise there.

The employees of the car dealers I talk to say things are still pretty slow

Comment

The pizza restaurant that never reopened was at that location over twenty years and always packed, family operated. At least two or three of the restaurants I was referring to were historic, very old and I'm sure they were well run and frequented. I ran into the pizza restaurant owners while food shopping and they told us the landlord was asking too much for rent and left them no profit margin. In general, food prices are up even for the restaurants, add that to their other costs and it's no wonder so many fail through no fault of their own.

Comment

The entire 2010 year, has been our best year over the last 5 hands down. We absolutely killed it last year with major installs of boilers-furnaces-A/C - bathrooms etc.

Since Jan, 1st 2011 till now has been kind of slow. But this time of year is normally our slow period as we are getting into tax season.

Locally, I haven't really notice a difference as most businesses are are still open.

Comment

Hawaii is a funny place, most people are either:

1. Food Service & Hospitality

2. Construction & Trades

3. Military

Since 75% of our economy is tourism based and people have cut back on vacations things are way down. For a while there was no concrete being poured anywhere on my island. Things are finally starting to pick up on the new construction side. Renovations never really stopped. In fact a lot of the resorts used this downtime to do much needed renovations that they did not want to do when they were always operating at 90+% year round.

One good thing about here is it's a desired location. A lot of rentals here are people 2nd or 3rd home that they rent out for vacation rentals when they are not here and that pays the mortgage on the place. The banks are even getting in on it on the ones they foreclosed on.

Service work has always been good, like I say "You can live with out a lot of things, you can't live with out clean water." Plus people generally freak out when a toilet doesn't flush or a water pipe is broken.
                  Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                  Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Working...
                  X