X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Perfect Plumbing Service Van

Whats your idea of the perfect plumbing service van? What repair parts would you carry? What type rig,van,pickup,aftermarket body/Big box truck.extended cargo vans? Feel free to get technical or all the bells and whistles you would want. What type shelving for the cargo area? How would you set it up if cost is a secondary concern.

This is not a box truck vs whatever thread

Re: The Perfect Plumbing Service Van

A nice box truck 4 x 4 with a lift gate that gets 20 mpg.
    An access door to the fuel pump Because for some reason Every van car or truck has blew a fuel pump. In dash back up camera with GPS
    Shelving I would build to suit my needs.
    Oh and a nice sound system.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

my perfect truck would have a cargo box with the room of a 40 foot semi trailer, and full height, and easly handle the weight, oh and have a side that move out so one can work in the box if needed as a shop on some jobs,
      a power plant that can move it at hiway speeds, and tow a trailer of 30,000 pounds if needed,
      and fule economy of 30 to 50 miles to a gallon of fule,
      and handles like a 3/4 ton pickup, and can park in a standard parking spot,
      and while were at it make it all wheel drive,
      oh and can turn around in the space of a two lane wide road,

I still have not found it,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Well , for starters a truck I can stand up in , plenty of room with plenty of bins. It would have to be able to haul 20' lengts of pipe (inside) , the full array of fittings, pipe , etc, .That means pvc, cpvc, copper , blk. steel.A couple water heaters (1) gas (1) elec.a few disposals, a few faucets , kitchen and lavy, and some shower valves.. Also it would have to be able to haull my drain cleaning equipment (1500) and (k60) with all the cables. Also I would need auxillary power so an on board generator is a must oh and my jack hammer again. a must ..Lets not forget all the tools...The tools all of em' ..I would carry repair parts for all the faucets that are common in my area..Delta, Moen, Kohler, American Standard..Probably a couple toilets.Reg and elongated..An onboard docking station for my laptop with wifi of course.An awsome navigational system (forget the lil tom tom).And a security system that would be bullet proof ..Like an oversized brinks truck complete with gun turrets and ..A fridge for all the frosty beverages..I'm sure I will be coming up with more ideas for my dream truck but this is a start..more to come
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

My perfect truck would be empty of material, except for tools only. I often much prefer to know I don't have something, than try to guess if I may have something. I have seen some mobile warehouse loads stuffed into vans before, and often get sick of getting yelled at for taking too long to fetch something.

Comment

I just built one on GMC website and the total came to 40,000.00 before tax. 6.0 vortec V-8 extended 3500 series.

A K-60 would hafta be on the list of equipment. I do not like sectional machines but based on its size and weight and the amount of sewers I would need it for,its a no brainer especially if you work alone most of the time.

Comment

I would just like to see other alternatives from both sides (Truck manufactures & Body manufactures) as the current styles are extremely stale. We are getting a new truck this year, and I'm dreading buying something that I'm not 100% happy with.

With the digital age here and thriving, I want to see more convenience in the cab for laptops,i-pads, and things of that nature. I see Ford and Dodge are offering outlets in their cabs now on the pick ups, but not sure about Chevy. I don't want to have to buy something, to add to the cab for these purposes. This digital stuff isn't going anywhere, so this needs to be addressed. All wheel drive drive would be a plus.

As far as the body...if I could take some of Hackney's idea's (storage and shelving) and put some of Reading body's idea's together...it would be close to the perfect truck for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                I would just like to see other alternatives from both sides (Truck manufactures & Body manufactures) as the current styles are extremely stale. We are getting a new truck this year, and I'm dreading buying something that I'm not 100% happy with.

With the digital age here and thriving, I want to see more convenience in the cab for laptops,i-pads, and things of that nature. I see Ford and Dodge are offering outlets in their cabs now on the pick ups, but not sure about Chevy. I don't want to have to buy something, to add to the cab for these purposes. This digital stuff isn't going anywhere, so this needs to be addressed. All wheel drive drive would be a plus.

As far as the body...if I could take some of Hackney's idea's (storage and shelving) and put some of Reading body's idea's together...it would be close to the perfect truck for me.
                GMC is now offering built in WiFi in the truck (Monthly Service Cost of course) that can reach "up to 150' ". Think Dodge does too. And they all are going to "Power Ports" for accessories.

The new pricing is out of line for many work trucks in my opinion. Didn't we just bail some of them out? Where's my free truck? Meanwhile GM's interior quality has declined to me.

Must be alot of overhead.

J.C.

Comment

One thing to consider when buying a new truck is the cost of insurance and here its the tag license. My tag license fee this year was 56.00. My insurance for the year with the proper full coverages with riders for tool loss and material loss is 900.00 a year. A new truck would triple the tag and double the insurance prolly...not sure tho.

I'm thinking of buying a late model and doing some custom work to it. I need to learn how to weld aluminum.

Comment

Yep..I have a 2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer..Just looked at a 2010 ..What junk that truck cant touch the 2000 for interior features alone, smaller seats , no heated seats, cheap instrumentation.. oh and it was a 6 ..mines an 8 awd and runs like top..we all deserve new trucks
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      GMC is now offering built in WiFi in the truck (Monthly Service Cost of course) that can reach "up to 150' ". Think Dodge does too. And they all are going to "Power Ports" for accessories.

The new pricing is out of line for many work trucks in my opinion. Didn't we just bail some of them out? Where's my free truck? Meanwhile GM's interior quality has declined to me.

Must be alot of overhead.

J.C.
                      As a hardcore Ford man, I'm glad Ford didn't take any money.

But I absolutely agree with you on truck prices, as we know what's behind those reasons for bailouts.

But there's nothing like getting a new truck to work out of.

Comment

Remember the toyota that u-hall used to rent? That would be would be a perfect truck for me. I don't pull big hills and I drive slow so I don't care about power. Heck one of our vans is a 96 ford with a 6 cylinder in it. I'll load a trailor up with scrap and it will do fine for me. I also stay on the road so I don't need or want a lot of ground clearense or 4 wheel drive. other than that a sprinter would be fine.

Comment

Anyone have the side panels on the chevy/gmc that allow access to your cargo from outside the van?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                            Anyone have the side panels on the chevy/gmc that allow access to your cargo from outside the van?
                            jake/ jrsaltz does. search for his photos on the forum.

i'm over 900.00 every 6 months with no tool coverage. then add the second truck insurance and see where my numbers go.

we need to carry a min. of 750,000 liability for commercial truck insurance.

can you believe i needed a smog check on a 2 year old diesel truck too last week yet a gas truck is not until 6 years and then every other year

i use to believe in carrying everything in the truck. but it's easy to get overloaded with stuff that just sits.

keep it at the shop and grab the stuff that's specialty when needed.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick. I used to believe in carrying everything on the truck and in the shop but since It all has to be inventoried and I have to pay taxes on it, I pretty much keep the bare essentials and let the supply house deal with it.

We have a three Sprinters. One is for boiler/furnace install guys. One is for drain cleaning and the other is used for new construction so it's pretty much filled with tools. I like the Sprinter because I'm old and hate kneeling down looking for stuff. They get OK mileage and thus far have worked out pretty well.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X