X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men Of The Manhole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFe-n...eature=related

Re: Men Of The Manhole

I didn't find the video very shocking or disgusting. Folks would be just as surprised to see some of the working conditions in our great country. They showed a fast clip of a worker venting a manhole and wearing a respirator, but that is not always the case. I've worked in Telco manholes that had gasoline and heating oil leaching in, raw sewerage, hypodermic needles under the main cover, let's not forget the backyards knee deep in garbage, pampers, condoms, sanitary napkins and dog excrement. I'm sure plenty of folks on this forum have worked in conditions that would frighten many a white collar worker. Those guys have my respect, they know what needs to be done and they do it! Not much of a fan of their society.

Comment

i'm meeting an electrican and the dept. of water and power in the morning to inpect a 3'' undergound electrical feed from the city vault to the house.

i was there last week and inspected the first 100' from the house to the mh. 2 of the 3 wires are still in the pipe and they can't pull them out. the lines are shorted.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        I didn't find the video very shocking or disgusting. Folks would be just as surprised to see some of the working conditions in our great country. They showed a fast clip of a worker venting a manhole and wearing a respirator, but that is not always the case. I've worked in Telco manholes that had gasoline and heating oil leaching in, raw sewerage, hypodermic needles under the main cover, let's not forget the backyards knee deep in garbage, pampers, condoms, sanitary napkins and dog excrement. I'm sure plenty of folks on this forum have worked in conditions that would frighten many a white collar worker. Those guys have my respect, they know what needs to be done and they do it! Not much of a fan of their society.
        At one point in the video the worker goes completely under...submerged in sewage. Thats both shocking and disgusting to me.

Comment

Reminds me of a emergency call I did overseas where a feeder cable powering a sewage lift station pump shorted out. Guess who had to crawl in there to install a waterproof box to house the splices...
          Anyway, the utilities shop managed to drain the sewage initially with a small tanker to buy me time, but when it's shift change in the afternoon, doesn't take long to fill that sucker back up. Needless to say, watching the sewage rise up while working is quite the incentive to get the job done, and fast.
          Last edited by tailgunner; 02-09-2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
            At one point in the video the worker goes completely under...submerged in sewage. Thats both shocking and disgusting to me.
            I agree that it was disgusting but our life experiences give us different tolerances. I've worked in manholes located in commercial markets that housed both butchering and produce facilities. When those manholes were opened, pumped and vented folks were running for cover. The stench inside was like death, and while I was still ankle deep in the filth I was not submerged. I respect those workers in the video. I don't know how many of them die on the job, but at least they don't have to deal with dead air, gasoline or some of the other explosive and electrical hazards we encounter. No, I would not trade places.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              I agree that it was disgusting but our life experiences give us different tolerances. I've worked in manholes located in commercial markets that housed both butchering and produce facilities. When those manholes were opened, pumped and vented folks were running for cover. The stench inside was like death, and while I was still ankle deep in the filth I was not submerged. I respect those workers in the video. I don't know how many of them die on the job, but at least they don't have to deal with dead air, gasoline or some of the other explosive and electrical hazards we encounter. No, I would not trade places.
              I've cleaned drains at a chicken processing plant and a seafood processing plant. I hope they never ever call back.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                I've cleaned drains at a chicken processing plant and a seafood processing plant. I hope they never ever call back.
                Human waste is almost a walk in the park compared to the above, something about dead tissue decaying and fermenting that really works up a terrible stench.
                I would guess the seafood would be a bit worse, am I right?

Comment

Working...
                X