Banks and Banking - From Personal to Business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Banks and Banking - From Personal to Business

Last weekend I just closed down my FREE "personal" checking (Non interest bearing) account that I've had for 13 years (and 2 Bank name changes), cause I didn't make enough transactions in a month, and so they started charging my account $5.00 a month. I pay my bills online, so there is no need for me to use personal checks. They tried to keep me and waive their fee, if I kept $1,500 in the account. Yea..I'll do that if it was an interest bearing account.

This new rule went into affect this past December, and so I cashed out and moved my money to another bank.

The banks are doing everything they can to make up lost money, and I want NO PARTS of bailing out any Banks. They got me for $10.00 so I hope the spent it wisely.

More and more I pay cash for everything personal. I barely use my credit cards.

Comment

HSBC closed the branch that was near my house early this year. The nearest branch is now 20-25 minutes away at the mall. There was no way I was going to keep them, because they charge me a $1.50 to use another bank's ATMs. The ATM at work is from a credit union which charges no fees, so if HSBC didn't charge me the $1.50 I might have thought about keeping them.

We thought about going to Chase, because they have branches everywhere (even across the street from each other).

Instead we decided to use USAA online banking. They don't charge their own ATM fee, and they'll refund something like $10 of other banks fees a month. Most everything else we do with direct deposit, online bill pay, or rarely a check. We can also cash checks with a scanner and a computer, which is much more convenient than actually going to a branch.

Comment

I notice a big difference between the regional banks and the big guys. The smaller regional banks tend to give you better service and don't charge you as many fees.
        Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
        Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Been using a credit union for over 20 years, don't ever plan on going back to a bank.

James

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
            I get paid weekly, but only deposit my checks once a month. I've been doing that for about 10 years now. Almost every time I deposit them, the tellers have to stop and talk to the managers and try to decide if my checks are fake or not. Once or twice they have put a hold on the checks because they suspected I was trying to defraud them. I could understand the concern if I was a new customer, but I have been with them for over 15 years now.

Now that I've actually typed this, and we have a few more choices for banks out here, maybe I should go and set up an account with a different bank.
            If you deposit checks totalling more than you have in the bank...yes they will put a hold on the checks over your available balance.

Example: You deposit a check for 20,000.00 and only had 10,000.00 in the bank before the 20,000.00 check. The bank will hold that check until they receive confirmation that the 20,000.00 check was valid and paid.

In other words if you dont have funds in the bank to cover the check your depositing then funds will not be available until that check clears and is paid.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              HSBC closed the branch that was near my house early this year. The nearest branch is now 20-25 minutes away at the mall. There was no way I was going to keep them, because they charge me a $1.50 to use another bank's ATMs. The ATM at work is from a credit union which charges no fees, so if HSBC didn't charge me the $1.50 I might have thought about keeping them.

We thought about going to Chase, because they have branches everywhere (even across the street from each other).

Instead we decided to use USAA online banking. They don't charge their own ATM fee, and they'll refund something like $10 of other banks fees a month. Most everything else we do with direct deposit, online bill pay, or rarely a check. We can also cash checks with a scanner and a computer, which is much more convenient than actually going to a branch.
              The first rule of fight club..... shhhhhhhh, don't tell folks about USAA or they will get too big and their service will slip... ( I have been a member for 20 years)

Comment

Working...
              X