Banks and Banking - From Personal to Business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banks and Banking - From Personal to Business

The older I become, the wiser I become to the trickery that is employed through the litany of wizardry that banks employ.

There is a bank I'm dealing with right now that has created a rewards program that they are making a killing off the design, and people don't know until they try to cash out.

Please use this thread to describe any situation, fiasco, unbelievable consequence you have faced in your life due to the schemes or indirect targeting of your account to fulfill their earnings well above the 4% rule they so say they only achieve.

I've got one bank willing to lend money on one of my 3 companies, but they want hard assets to secure the loan.

Of course, I'm not going to do that. If the sink ships let them find life rafts after the boat is gone. (crumbs)

Everyone gets interested when a property with a home is sitting on it... but don't think a bank in their design wouldn't call out a loan if push come to shove.

Another bank is stalling on my command to close 2 accounts they just raised the rates on, in regards to any purchases I make. 6% increase for no reason, told them to close both accounts and they took it like it was a shocking moment.

I'm not playing games... I have no problem people making money off me in financing, it's just business. But these backhanded ***** slaps the banking industry is throwing is just more and more the predatory design that's been molded to recorrect one direction, and start a new one in another.

5/3 just paid out 8 million to their account holders for stacking debits to land in sequence of setting the overdraft... then charging XX.XX per overdraft. So, 4 checks adding up to 30.00 go first and they allow the $90.00 check that took you past negative... even though the money wasn't there.

Please post your crazies in the banking industry. This usually affects the working folks the most, the ones that live in moderation and don't have 10's of thousands in the bank account.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Banks and Banking - From Personal to Business

You cant close an account you owe money on. pay the account off then you can close it. They dont hafta close it with a balance on the card.

Comment

a few years ago my bank screwed me over on a cd that was in the 1 week grace period. went there on a friday to reinvest it at the new rate.

the bank knows me very well. tod me to come back on saturday as the wait was too long already. they knew why i was there and what i was needed.

so came back the next day to renew and the rates dropped 1/2%

the branch manager was apologetic and said there was nothing they could do.

ever cash out on a saturday without notice. 100k in cash said it was impossible. i knew it was possible and took that money to another bank for a better rate.

made the right move as both banks were closed down by the fdic within months of me making the move. didn't lose a penny as they were both sold off to other banks.

hate to tell you the rates they pay now .01%

i should open "the first bank of rick" forget the toaster. free k-60 with a 100k deposit

any takers

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Bankers= people I don't trust.

I went into my local bank to open a savings account. I didn't have anywhere near the 100,000 dollars that Plumber Rick has.

They would not even take my money until I agreed to let them do a credit check. What ever.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I use several banks. Had one that whenever I went in with a deposit or whatever that could NEVER find my account. And I was usually asked, "Do you have an account with us?" They turned over tellers or moved them to other branches often. I didn't always have a deposit ticket, it was like a 12 digit account number, and once again several banks. That's normally not a problem. Name search and done.

Finally called corporate to see if they could make it easier to search out my name in the database. Couldn't get anywhere. Called the branch. Asked politely could we do anything to help this as it had gone on for a YEAR. Change the name on it, whatever.

I was told pretty rudely, "You need to have your account number every time if you want to do anything" as the ONLY response.

I told her to get a cashiers check ready and I would be there in 15 minutes. More in there than some folks, less than others. When I got there the whole place had honey running out of their mouth. No, I'm done. Moved that account to another bank and all is good.

One thing you should all know is to remove overdraft protection. It is not, and was not, designed to "protect" anyone. It is a system designed to generate revenue for banks under the disguise as a protection to a business or consumer. Made up by a banker in Texas.

Overdraft "Protection" generates millions, maybe billions, in fees for the banking industry. It works in conjunction with an in house payment system that cashes your checks or online payments in a manner to cover the largest bills first in an effort to get you in an "Overdraft" position. Then once the larger bills are payed and you are in this position, ALL other transactions are subject to the Overdraft "Protection" and all fees associated.

The program makes a concerted effort to not pay attention to dates. So if you're someone that has to cut your budget close and possibly attempt a "float" on a transaction on a certain date......wrong. You're going to get hit with multiple overdraft fees that are much higher than if you just bounced the check.

And on the subject of "float". There is no float anymore. Even with checks. They can find out instantly if it's covered or not. Any delay in processing is once again, designed to generate fees for the entity. Be it a Credit Card company or a bank.

I guess it would be ok if this was spelled out clearly and up front in large print.

But it's not and seems underhanded by not doing so.

Use the smallest FDIC local Credit Union or Bank that you can find and you'll usually be much happier all the way around.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            a few years ago my bank screwed me over on a cd

Wow... you were extremely fortunate in that situation.

I used to do CDs a long time ago but I can't make money with it.

I had a bank try to push an auto loan through on a right of recision turnaround, told them they'll hear from the lawyer knowing we are standing in your office and they are trying to hide the salami.

I started speaking at 120 decibels... every statement so at least 2 floors of people could hear the shake down. This is done constantly to people... it was a jaded mistake on my gf's part... then we applied the 3 day right of recision law into our benefit.

The threat of a lawyer made the difference. Didn't have camera phones back then, that'd been nice.

I just went up, made a payment on what should be a closed account, once again I'm having to tell them, CLOSE THE ACCOUNT. I have numerous ones that I've closed, paying the monthly payments to pay the balances off because it locked the rate of interest on the lines of credit.

It's because I do read those love letters with the fine print, realizing the low rate just got jacked up.

So, I close them at first notification they are changing the rules.

Everybody has to make a living, just don't beat me down in the process.
            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 02-09-2011, 04:39 PM.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              I use several banks. Had one that whenever I went in with a deposit or whatever that could NEVER find my account. And I was usually asked, "Do you have an account with us?" They turned over tellers or moved them to other branches often. I didn't always have a deposit ticket, it was like a 12 digit account number, and once again several banks. That's normally not a problem. Name search and done.

Finally called corporate to see if they could make it easier to search out my name in the database. Couldn't get anywhere. Called the branch. Asked politely could we do anything to help this as it had gone on for a YEAR. Change the name on it, whatever.

I was told pretty rudely, "You need to have your account number every time if you want to do anything" as the ONLY response.

I told her to get a cashiers check ready and I would be there in 15 minutes. More in there than some folks, less than others. When I got there the whole place had honey running out of their mouth. No, I'm done. Moved that account to another bank and all is good.

One thing you should all know is to remove overdraft protection. It is not, and was not, designed to "protect" anyone. It is a system designed to generate revenue for banks under the disguise as a protection to a business or consumer. Made up by a banker in Texas.

Overdraft "Protection" generates millions, maybe billions, in fees for the banking industry. It works in conjunction with an in house payment system that cashes your checks or online payments in a manner to cover the largest bills first in an effort to get you in an "Overdraft" position. Then once the larger bills are payed and you are in this position, ALL other transactions are subject to the Overdraft "Protection" and all fees associated.

The program makes a concerted effort to not pay attention to dates. So if you're someone that has to cut your budget close and possibly attempt a "float" on a transaction on a certain date......wrong. You're going to get hit with multiple overdraft fees that are much higher than if you just bounced the check.

And on the subject of "float". There is no float anymore. Even with checks. They can find out instantly if it's covered or not. Any delay in processing is once again, designed to generate fees for the entity. Be it a Credit Card company or a bank.

I guess it would be ok if this was spelled out clearly and up front in large print.

But it's not and seems underhanded by not doing so.

Use the smallest FDIC local Credit Union or Bank that you can find and you'll usually be much happier all the way around.

J.C.
              I agree with the bank...have your account number and your business in order. Deposit slips are in the lobby...fill one out. They probably got tired of you not having your information together and decided to run you off......Not all customers are good customers.

I like a large bank with multiple branch locations.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                I agree with the bank...have your account number and your business in order. Deposit slips are in the lobby...fill one out. They probably got tired of you not having your information together and decided to run you off......Not all customers are good customers.

I like a large bank with multiple branch locations.
                Then we disagree on both matters. Insinuating I am a "bad" customer is also incorrect. And you did do just that.

ALL other institutions I use have never had a similar situation with this "bad" customer.

And this well ran institution you agree with that you also make the incorrect conclusion that they ran me off ......is closed.

Thought it was about time for you to create an argument out of nothing.

J.C.

Comment

Here it comes....

J.C.

Comment

Then we disagree on both matters. Insinuating I am a "bad" customer is also incorrect. And you did do just that.

ALL other institutions I use have never had a similar situation with this "bad" customer.

And this well ran institution you agree with that you also make the incorrect conclusion that they ran me off ......is closed.

Thought it was about time for you to create an argument out of nothing.

J.C.
                    Loooook brother....I know a few bank tellers and they hate customers who dont have their crap together. They say.."that cheap mofo wont hire a secretary but expects us to do his paperwork" ....... No argument just common courtesy....professionalism doesn't end with the plumbing work.

Its like the customer who calls you to work on their K-sink and you get to the house and the sink is fulla pots and pans and cereal bowls.

Comment

Loooook brother....I know a few bank tellers and they hate customers who dont have their crap together. They say.."that cheap mofo wont hire a secretary but expects us to do his paperwork" ....... No argument just common courtesy....professionalism doesn't end with the plumbing work.

Its like the customer who calls you to work on their K-sink and you get to the house and the sink is fulla pots and pans and cereal bowls.
                      That happens all the time with me. And cabinets filled to the bottom of the sink. I still work with the customer and get the job done with courtesy.

I know many bank employees at many branches also. And ALL bank tellers better be extra courteous to customers. The system is designed and headed for the decline and even end of the traditional teller.

J.C.

Comment

That happens all the time with me. And cabinets filled to the bottom of the sink. I still work with the customer and get the job done with courtesy.

I know many bank employees at many branches also. And ALL bank tellers better be extra courteous to customers. The system is designed and headed for the decline and even end of the traditional teller.

J.C.
                        I've heard in some places they charge you a fee for face to face teller visit. People who dont have their deposit slips cause the tellers to do extra work....and they hold the line up while the teller does your work for you. Its inconsiderate to the tellers and the other customers.

Comment

I've heard in some places they charge you a fee for face to face teller visit. People who dont have their deposit slips cause the tellers to do extra work....and they hold the line up while the teller does your work for you. Its inconsiderate to the tellers and the other customers.
                          I can agree to an extent. Everyone should try to get things done and go. I can't recall holding a line longer than a normal transaction. Ever. I want out and gone. Only problem with one bank through many years. What often holds up a bank line is a person that wants to talk or get into all kinds of transactions at the teller window.

The reason some places have begun charging for a face to face teller visit has nothing to do with if you have your papers in order. (Sounds like a Cold War film. "Papers Please".) It is a push to try and condition people to not use a teller and then begin to remove tellers altogether from the system.

Charge for this, less people use tellers. Less people use them, less need for them. Justification for less tellers.

J.C.

Comment

I get paid weekly, but only deposit my checks once a month. I've been doing that for about 10 years now. Almost every time I deposit them, the tellers have to stop and talk to the managers and try to decide if my checks are fake or not. Once or twice they have put a hold on the checks because they suspected I was trying to defraud them. I could understand the concern if I was a new customer, but I have been with them for over 15 years now.

Now that I've actually typed this, and we have a few more choices for banks out here, maybe I should go and set up an account with a different bank.

Comment

I really like my bank (1st Tn) and the tellers there. They call me by name, with respect (i know, they're trained for that), but they are always pleasant. Even the floaters.
                              I like the grocery store I regularly shop at. And I like the liquor store and the plumbing supply house I frequent.

They ALL know my name and use it (it's on my shirt!). And you know what? I know their names (it's on their tags), and I always use their names in conversation.

Not that I expect it, but I get all kinds of perks because of it. I never have to show i.d. unless it's a new teller. Then after the 1st visit or two they don't ask.

If someone never makes an effort to warm up to me then that's fine too. If they purposefully tried to make my life difficult then I would take my business elsewhere.

It is definitely a two way street. But the onus to be pleasant is certainly more on the employee than the customer.
                              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X