Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Egypt at Home!

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    I cannot relate to an ever increasing "Take Care of Me Society" that is developing. To be honest, it makes me sick to know they exist.

I was brought up that the world, government, or your employer owes you nothing. It's your responsibility.

I don't understand why people think someone else should be involved in any way in their retirement, paid vacations, healthcare or other currently given benefit at all. It just breeds laziness, lack of innovation, and a sense of entitlement.

Put it to the free market.

J.C.
    J.C. this is a situation of different upbringing and opinions. I was taught if you give your body and soul to your work, then they had better make dam sure to reciprocate with salary and benefits. I see no connection between laziness as in not getting up to go to work and busting your butt, and the demand to be compensated. If you are self employed, you call the shots regarding how much income you will keep on hand or invest, what healthcare to buy and what long term retirement funds to maintain. A employee of a company is well within his or her expectations to get all of the above for a job well done.

When I was pulling manhole covers one after another, busting concrete with a sledge or carrying telephone poles on my shoulder there was no spare energy for "innovation" and it was not the result of "laziness".

I think a lot of folks who share your opinion would benefit from doing some of those lazy Union jobs for a few days. Nothing like walking a mile in another man's shoes to open your eyes.

Now if there is a open and honest exchange of thoughts and facts perhaps new workers coming into a job would have a heads up to invest for their future, even then there is the risk of pension plans and other investments going belly up. People find it easy to insult teachers as over paid or spoiled, I can't imagine trying to teach a classroom of kids day in and day out without slapping the snot out of a few. Would you say correction officers are lazy to expect a paid vacation after serving time with the criminals of our society? Sure is easy to point fingers. I have no problem with pension reform and doing what is realistic with all workers Union and nonUnion alike but as I said if you think that will fix things you could not be more wrong. Our government has overspent and needs to increase all taxes painful but necessary. Our communities have lost income from businesses leaving and folks walking away from their homes. We shop and open our wallets and credit cards to enrich communist china and third world nations while the number of unemployed in our country grows.

I think our problems make egypt's problems see few. We fight wars we can't pay for, support millions of illegals who don't pay taxes, elect politicans from a two party system who take turns ruining our country. Those lazy, spoiled workers who lack innovation are on the list of things to do, but the list is very, very long and no one is exempt.
    Last edited by Frankiarmz; 02-20-2011, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      What's interesting to me is how the Egypt uprising has inspired others to speak out about the dissatisfaction they have with how their government has been doing.

Seems people around the world aren't to happy with their leadership and/or system.

J.C.
      Are you sure it's not the other way around? I think the common folk Egyptians have been watching the tea party movement on the internet and tv.

The Tea Party success removed a dictatorial regime (Pelosi) by grass roots work and protesting against the heavy handedness of that Congress (last minute votes in all night sessions, excluding any input from the Republicans, passing bills (healthcare) sent down by the ruler without even reading them (we have to pass it to see what's in it)).

To me this episode in Wisconsin is more like France when Sarkozy wanted to raise the retirement age from what, 36 to 37 yrs old maybe, and the college students and their "organizers" were sent into the streets to intimidate, destroy and generally cause mayhem. Perhaps their Brie and wine breaks were being threatened.
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        J.C. this is a situation of different upbringing and opinions. I was taught if you give your body and soul to your work, then they had better make dam sure to reciprocate with salary and benefits. I see no connection between laziness as in not getting up to go to work and busting your butt, and the demand to be compensated.

That's supply of labor with demand of pay & benefits. Free market. Fine with me. An organization such as a union or government often overdoes both of those removing itself from the demands of the system. As we are seeing.

If you are self employed, you call the shots regarding how much income you will keep on hand or invest, what healthcare to buy and what long term retirement funds to maintain.

Not necessarily. I am at the mercy of the local free market. If it cannot sustain retirement & healthcare, then I must make immediate adjustments to compensate and often
        lose benefits. Fine. I am not owed either of these.

A employee of a company is well within his or her expectations to get all of the above for a job well done.

The current climate of business has conditioned employees to believe this. I personally think that everyone should be responsible for their healthcare and retirement & that it should be against the law for a business or government entity to provide either.

When I was pulling manhole covers one after another, busting concrete with a sledge or carrying telephone poles on my shoulder there was no spare energy for "innovation" and it was not the result of "laziness".

I respectfully always think there is room & energy for improvement.

I think a lot of folks who share your opinion would benefit from doing some of those lazy Union jobs for a few days. Nothing like walking a mile in another man's shoes to open your eyes.

Doesn't scare me. And some Union people should have to walk in others' shoes without similar benefits, pensions, healthcare, etc. I will agree that most of the time alot of people think the other guy has it easy or makes too much without totally knowing what they have to do.

I hear it all the time.

Now if there is a open and honest exchange of thoughts and facts perhaps new workers coming into a job would have a heads up to invest for their future, even then there is the risk of pension plans and other investments going belly up. People find it easy to insult teachers as over paid or spoiled, I can't imagine trying to teach a classroom of kids day in and day out without slapping the snot out of a few.

Me either. Let the teachers also have a free market & be able to make as much as they want. Vouchers etc.

Would you say correction officers are lazy to expect a paid vacation after serving time with the criminals of our society?

Many are. I know some of them. They have confessed how easy it is and how much weight they have gained.

Sure is easy to point fingers. I have no problem with pension reform and doing what is realistic with all workers Union and nonUnion alike but as I said if you think that will fix things you could not be more wrong. Our government has overspent and needs to increase all taxes painful but necessary.

Our government needs to decrease salaries and benefits across the board first. From top to bottom. Then, and only then, entertain any thought of increasing taxes.

Our communities have lost income from businesses leaving and folks walking away from their homes.

Often caused by overdemanding unions & overtaxed businesses to support.......state & federal benefits.

We shop and open our wallets and credit cards to enrich communist china and third world nations while the number of unemployed in our country grows.

Agreed!

I think our problems make egypt's problems see few. We fight wars we can't pay for, support millions of illegals who don't pay taxes, elect politicans from a two party system who take turns ruining our country. Those lazy, spoiled workers who lack innovation are on the list of things to do, but the list is very, very long and no one is exempt.

Agreed!

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

If you are self employed, you call the shots regarding how much income you will keep on hand or invest, what healthcare to buy and what long term retirement funds to maintain. A employee of a company is well within his or her expectations to get all of the above for a job well done.
          Your last sentence is the reason why people hate Unions. An employee knows going in what the deal is before they accept the job.

For example, if Teachers do not like their salary or benefits, they can quit their job and go find another that suits their needs. Not strike and lay down threatening demands.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            Your last sentence is the reason why people hate Unions. An employee knows going in what the deal is before they accept the job.

For example, if Teachers do not like their salary or benefits, they can quit their job and go find another that suits their needs. Not strike and lay down threatening demands.
            You should do standup comedy. I suppose "people" don't hate contractors for their overall reputation and costs? One salary for all jobs and if you don't like it stay home.

Comment

You should do standup comedy. I suppose "people" don't hate contractors for their overall reputation and costs? One salary for all jobs and if you don't like it stay home.
              I do stand up comedy...that's $200.00 an hr shall I pencil you in?

and your statement makes no sense. If a customer doesn't like our price they go onto the next contractor, until they find something in their budget. You don't see contractors protesting outside customers home because they didn't get the job.

An area Plumber got thrown off the Sheraton towers because he was non-union after he won the Plumbing bid. He was asked if "he could fly", and he was crippled for the rest of his life.

My brother in-law at the time worked for ESPN. He was in charge of the X games when it came to Philadelphia a few years ago. The Unions threaten his life so bad, he had someone start his car every morning because he was afraid for his life. The Unions were pissed off because ESPN didn't hire Union workers. A Union boss was in my brother-inlaws face quite a few times hollering and cursing at him. You will never see ESPN come back to Philadelphia because of those incidents.

The Local 30 here in Philadelphia for years was the muscle behind everything. I know personally some of the goons they had going around beating contractors up because they were not union.

There is absolutely no good that comes from Unions anymore. It's all about Intimidation,threats, and demanding people. There is no humor in people being crippled or losing their life because they didn't cave into Union demands.
              Last edited by Flux; 02-20-2011, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Its difficult to fire union workers...they know this so they become lazy. Same with goverment workers and affirmative action. This is a general statement I know but its the general damn truth.

Those union school teachers closed school down to protest....they all should be fired. They can protest on saturday and sunday...while their students do homework. Teachers are some of the most ignorant educated people I know.
                Last edited by TheMaster; 02-20-2011, 05:34 PM.

Comment

I posted a few videos of some union plumber going around to construction sites in New York crying about their are no union workers on the jobs. makes a real idiot out of himself. Its on youtube....I will find it if you want to watch it Mr. Flux. Its freakin hilarious.

Comment

The guy I worked for had to use a Union plumbing contractor in Chicago and the union contractor insisted on and received up front a $20,000 cash payment that was not part of the contracted price or we didn't get a building permit. A few months into the job the union guy became pissed about something and he had his buddies from Chicago PD come by the job most mornings and give us all parking tickets. I left Chicago with almost 50 unpaid parking tickets.

Another funny thing was that because they were Union and their contract called for it, they insisted on using cast iron, lead and okum. They set 4 joints before lunch and four joints after lunch per day per two man team, nothing more, nothing less. Of course every non-union contractor was using ABS and doing much more work per man-day each day but at the time of our Chicago job non-union plumbing contractors could not get a building permit within the Chicago city limits.
                    Last edited by Abbott; 02-20-2011, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Back when this Plumber went flying off the Sheraton towers, my father took a commercial job re-doing a gym/health spa.

This Union goon shows up (all steroided up) and asks what my father what he was doing there. My father said he was doing a favor for a friend of his, and the goon said to him "Ok you can finish this job, but don't take any other jobs in here". The guy also said.."Don't you dare cut a hole through the roof for your vent..a Union member will do that".

After that day, my father carried his gun during the duration of the job. The funny part was..he all of a sudden had leaks all through out his drain lines he installed, when it came time for inspection. Someone was coming back and messing with his work.

Comment

"Its difficult to fire union workers...they know this so they become lazy."

I understand the ignorance and fear that is sometimes associated with Unions and their "goons", and that is unfortunate. I know the hard work myself and my Union brothers did throughout the years, so that is my background. We did not get rich, fat, or lazy as a result of our bullet proof jobs. I wish you all well as you pat eachother on the backs. Forgive me if I don't respond the silly stuff.
                        Remember to "Look for the Union label" oh, that's right it's gone from our clothing. The labels now say "made in vietnam" or some other stand up beacon of freedom.

Comment

And one would have to ask, "why did the manufacturing move to Vietnam or China.....?"
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            Be carefull what you wish for.
                            Haven't you noticed.All the non union contractors will only hire illegals.
                            I was at the hotel doing a call at 5:30AM.Out front were about thirty non-citizens coming out of there rooms to load up and go out to pull all the Verizon cable upgrades in the area.
                            That's Frankiarms old job isn't it

Profit Baby
                            Boy was I wrong.
                            The bigger unions,specifically AFL-CIO are lobbying to legalize all 20 million here and start up a major flow of new immagrants from mexico.
                            They want a stop put on prosecution of those employing.

Egypt What?
                            The american is soon to be toast if he does not pull his head out of his...

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                              And one would have to ask, "why did the manufacturing move to Vietnam or China.....?"
                              To have someone else pay for employee provisions.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                                I'll play along. Vietnam and communist china (two fine examples of democracy and freedom) do not have our EPA to protect their air, land and water from pollution, nor do they have our OSHA or trade Unions to protect workers.

There is also the small matter of profit margins which increase ever so slightly when you are paying your workers a few pennies per hour.

Do you folks really want to live in a USA that resembles vietnam or communist china in how our workers are paid and treated by employers? One would have to ask if any of you understand history and the struggle of the American worker?

Keep blaming Unions and lazy Americans, or open your eyes and minds to what really happened in our country. Good night all, this lazy Union guy is going to sleep.

Comment

Working...
                                X