X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egypt at Home!

Might happen other places too. Seems alot of states are over benefitted and over payed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...edName=topNews

J.C.

Re: Egypt at Home!

Yep, I wonder what it is about these jobs that have made these employees think that they are being overly burdened if expected to pay for part of their health insurance?

In any industry and commercial job that I am familiar with, paying a share of your health insurance is common place. Is being on the state or other government payroll so beneficial as to be well above the working-class tax payers?

CWS

Comment

I have been a long time proud Union member and realize things need to change if we are going to survive! I retired on less than half my salary, unlike many government Union workers who often end up retiring with the equivalent of their full salary or more. Common sense tells me agreeing to such a Union demand was plain stupid and needed to be renegotiated years ago. Municipalities like New York City have tens of thousands of such full pay retirees living thirty plus years after retirement and no pension plan can sustain that kind of payout. I think nothing is sacred during these serious times, renegotiate bargaining agreements, cut benefits, cut, cut , cut and on the other side have a plan to rebuild and go forward wiser.

I think if there is going to be a more towards responsible spending and behavior, then it must be extended to all aspects of our lives including personal debt (credit cards)We want our government to spend responsibly, so must we.

P.S., I retired with full medical and dental benefits, I pay nothing towards the cost. New York Tel.

Comment

Instead of Egypt, think Greece, or France.
        The Egyptians were under a dictator's thumb.
        The average public school teacher in Milwaukee makes $56.500.00 in salary and $43,500.00 in benefits. And, they pay practically nothing personally towards their pensions and health care.

I'm sorry, I have no sympathy for them. Especially after watching doctors hand out phony sick leave forms to the crowds. Illegal and immoral.
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I worked at a National Laboratory. The retirement deal is unreal. After 30 years, they can retire at essentially their the pay they got for the quarter prior to retirement. Their health insurance is paid for life. And they get cost of living raises.

I do have to say that the pay there is less than you make in private industry. But the retirement deal more than makes up for it.

The lab I worked for was managed by the University of California at the time. We were considered University staff (not faculty). It was my one and only experience working for a University. I was astonished to learn that that we got the tax deferred 401(k) plan like most employers offered... but we ALSO got a section 457(b), since we were University employees. That plan essentially is another 401(k)... so you get that much more tax writeoff.

But why would we need the extra retirement plan, since most of those folks were going to retire at virtually full salary? And of course, the average person working for a normal company doesn't get two tax deferred accounts... this is written into the law just for education workers.

I don't know... sounds like a sweetheart deal to me.

BTW, I quit the Lab. Interesting place, but I joined too late to get any real benefit from the retirement, so I went after a job with higher pay. Haven't kept up with them, but there was always the fear that the rules would change. Honestly, I think that if the taxpayers really knew all that went on in those Government deals, there would be even more outrage.

Comment

I hope Gov. Brown does the same in Ca. Break the unions !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              In my opinion, all government/Union contracts involving pensions must be renegotiated. If you think "breaking" Unions is the bottom line or cure all, I think you are missing many more important measures. Taxes need to be increased for middle class and the rich. Imported goods must be somehow reduced and we need to employ Americans to make most of what we consume. Our government must stop borrowing money in order to fight wars and needs to reduce spending in all areas. There are many painful, necessary things that must be done if we are to save our country. Unrealistic Union pensions and contract demands, agreed to through open bargaining is a small part of the big problem. Please don't have tunnel vision and think our problems will end if the Unions are broken.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Be carefull what you wish for.
                Haven't you noticed.All the non union contractors will only hire illegals.
                I was at the hotel doing a call at 5:30AM.Out front were about thirty non-citizens coming out of there rooms to load up and go out to pull all the Verizon cable upgrades in the area.
                That's Frankiarms old job isn't it

Profit Baby
                Last edited by drtyhands; 02-20-2011, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Come March 4th. when the Feds shut down it's going to get really slow for me. 80% of my customers are fed employees or it's subcontractors.

It took months to rebound from that 2 week furlough in '95.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Might happen other places too. Seems alot of states are over benefitted and over payed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...edName=topNews

J.C.
                    That's a fight they better pray doesn't happen here. The response would be fierce and something I hope we never see.

No offense to anyone here, but I hope we abolish Unions in this country. If that's not possible, I want to see the people tell the Unions what we are going to pay..not the Unions tells us what we are going to pay. I'm sick and tired of these people hanging around and latching onto tax payer money.

Comment

No offense taken here, but if communist china and other oppressive governments ban Unions in my opinion they represent freedom. I think Unions started out with good intentions and did a lot to raise the standard of living for many generations of Americans, but like any good idea at some point things went south. We see this in many areas of our society, something starts out good and goes all haywire including our government, freedoms and rights.

There needs to be common sense applied to all facets of our society and economy and no one is out of bounds. I know for a fact the rate of pay earned by many Union folks allows them to buy homes and employ tradesmen, eliminate jobs to illegals or reduce pay and you lose work. Maybe there needs to be a clean sweep in our country, eliminate Unions, pay all workers a set amount and cap what can be charged to contracted work as well. Doctors, teachers, police, firemen, everyone can't earn more than a set amount. Sounds like it might be tricky but it might help? Things have gotten out of hand in the USA and there is a lot of work to be done. I would cap credit card debt to three to five thousand per person or family, you want a big screen tv or new couch, you need to save for it and pay cash! No more state lottery or scratch games, they do nothing for education. Go after legal gambling too, promotes crime and takes money from folks.

By all means, I hope your dreams of crushing Unions takes place just don't expect to solve your problems with one small detail. Our country, government, society, economy, is facing many challenges and I sure hope we wake up in time and do whatever it takes to meet them all.

Comment

I cannot relate to an ever increasing "Take Care of Me Society" that is developing. To be honest, it makes me sick to know they exist.

I was brought up that the world, government, or your employer owes you nothing. It's your responsibility.

I don't understand why people think someone else should be involved in any way in their retirement, paid vacations, healthcare or other currently given benefit at all. It just breeds laziness, lack of innovation, and a sense of entitlement.

Put it to the free market.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          No offense taken here, but if communist china and other oppressive governments ban Unions in my opinion they represent freedom. I think Unions started out with good intentions and did a lot to raise the standard of living for many generations of Americans, but like any good idea at some point things went south. We see this in many areas of our society, something starts out good and goes all haywire including our government, freedoms and rights.

There needs to be common sense applied to all facets of our society and economy and no one is out of bounds. I know for a fact the rate of pay earned by many Union folks allows them to buy homes and employ tradesmen, eliminate jobs to illegals or reduce pay and you lose work. Maybe there needs to be a clean sweep in our country, eliminate Unions, pay all workers a set amount and cap what can be charged to contracted work as well. Doctors, teachers, police, firemen, everyone can't earn more than a set amount. Sounds like it might be tricky but it might help? Things have gotten out of hand in the USA and there is a lot of work to be done. I would cap credit card debt to three to five thousand per person or family, you want a big screen tv or new couch, you need to save for it and pay cash! No more state lottery or scratch games, they do nothing for education. Go after legal gambling too, promotes crime and takes money from folks.

By all means, I hope your dreams of crushing Unions takes place just don't expect to solve your problems with one small detail. Our country, government, society, economy, is facing many challenges and I sure hope we wake up in time and do whatever it takes to meet them all.

I may agree that Unions in the very beginning had good intentions.

But when a homeowner pays OVER 3/4 of their house tax to the school district alone...something is wrong. Using children as weapons to help pass an agenda..is wrong.

State and local tax pretty much stays the same every year. But why does our house tax go up every single year? Because the school district needs it..why? Because of salaries,benefits..etc.

Getting rid of the teachers union would be a HUGE start.

Comment

What's interesting to me is how the Egypt uprising has inspired others to speak out about the dissatisfaction they have with how their government has been doing.

Seems people around the world aren't to happy with their leadership and/or system.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                              I may agree that Unions in the very beginning had good intentions.

But when a homeowner pays OVER 3/4 of their house tax to the school district alone...something is wrong. Using children as weapons to help pass an agenda..is wrong.

State and local tax pretty much stays the same every year. But why does our house tax go up every single year? Because the school district needs it..why? Because of salaries,benefits..etc.

Getting rid of the teachers union would be a HUGE start.
                              I don't have a problem with the fraction of my property taxes that go to schools. I have a problem with the rate of increase. The town I live in has managed to keep taxes pretty tame over the last ten years (1% increase) by finding cost savings and efficiencies (e.g., eliminating the town police department in favor of a contract with the state).

The school district isn't the worst around, but it goes up each year slightly more than inflation. In other districts it is far worse. Westchester county is also pretty bad, and our officials can't even profitably run an amusement park.

Comment

Working...
                              X